“A nice gesture but I will pass in future”
Review of On the Rock

On the Rock
Ranked #31 of 395 Restaurants in Karon
Cuisines: Seafood, Thai
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We were given a free meal from the hotel when we arrived and thought why not try it out. When we first arrived for our booking at 7 we had to wait for 10mins just to be seated only to find that they miss booked us for 8 instead but did manage to squeeze us in which was nice however once we were seated 20mins went by and we still hadn't received a food menu when we asked the staff they were rude so we decided to leave and come back at the quieter time of 8. I have to admit after this occured I was tempted to shred them in this review however when we returned at 8 the staff were a lot friendlier and we were seated quicker and placed our orders. It took 30mins to get our entrees of tuna salad and shrimp cocktail and while the tuna was the best thing all night the shrimp was average and after a further 20mins we received our mains and while they were ok I will admit I wouldn't have paid for them, desert was good however they had stopped serving the one I had ordered and replaced it with something else which was fine. We also ordered 2 cokes which were 70 baht each and a piña colada which all up came to 420 baht which is the same price we were paying for 2 three course meals at other places. Whilst the view was very nice it was highly over priced as we were paying prices for drinks similar to those we pay back home in Australia and after paying 17 baht for a coke elsewhere was quite annoying. In summary I am thankful we received the meal for free however I wouldn't pay the prices charged for the same food. It is a terrific location but it isn't worth the price better off trying the beach resturants.

2  Thank Dominic M

Reviewed June 28, 2013

This restaurant has a very romantic setting overlooking the beach from the south end of Karon Beach. It is lovely to hear the water lapping against the rocks while you are eating and the decor suits the location perfectly.

We dined here twice during our stay in Karon on my daughter's recommendation. There was a great variety of fresh seafood to choose from which was on display at the entrance to the restaurant or you could choose from the a la carte menu.

If you stay in Karon or Kata this restaurant is a must visit.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

More suitable for honeymoon and couple.
8 of us, ordered local Thai food but not up to expectation. The complimentary salad is too oily.
Perhaps the grilled seafood will be nicer.

Great view, restaurant is in hidden location and near to beach.
Money is spent on the restaurant environment.

1  Thank CherylSJ
Reviewed May 16, 2013

I have known the Marina Resort (previously called Marina Cottage) for 17 years ..and had been to the Rock restaurant many times. it is unfortunate that the miff of old times stays on... What you are paying for here is the view , the sound of the surf, and the classic interior design ..that is all.

My most recent dining experience was already marred at the very start ..we had a table booked in advance and instead of being asked for our name ..I was repeatedly asked where I was staying ..my response was: Can you please check if you have our reservation by name' to which I got no response. The attitude of the staff was one of total indifference, mechanical questions and incomprehension. Finally a more mature staff member came to the rescue.

The food menu looks good but , sorry to say ..the food was simply mediocre. The fish was prepared in a totally different way than ordered, the other dishes were just bland. The only worthwhile part of our dinner was the wine. For true Thai dishes you get better value for money and authenticity nearby at much more realistic prices.

We had one of the 3 lovely set outside tables , facing the beach .. the piped music unfortunately was more foreground than background in nature, drowning out the sound of the surf. The very beauty of the small outdoor seating area is the view + sound of the water ...so why kill it with department store music !

In summary, this place is just tired ..it lacks attentive management, the service staff except one lady .just shuffled around with bored expressions and indifferent attitude. Food taste and quality leaves much to be desired, and it is overpriced..I guess the Rock gets away with it because of the setting and the view. its a shame, because this restaurant has so much potential ...but it lacks the very standards that the Marina Resort is famous for.

1  Thank Michael P
Reviewed May 14, 2013

We have been to On the Rock many times and highly recommend it to anyone traveling to the area. Amazing location. Great food and staff, book early and ask for a table along the water. Enjoy!

1  Thank SpartanSpeed