All reviews pool access room karon beach snickers bar free mini bar rooms are big bars and restaurants patak road night life bottled water stayed here for nights short walk to the beach beach towels buffet breakfast egg station minibar phuket slippers
Reviewed April 29, 2017 via mobile

Stayed here for 7 nights and to be fair it was cheap so wasn't expecting a palace! The staff are lovely and the swim up rooms are fun but that's where it ends! The first room we were given had no wardrobe or drawers only shelves to store your clothes so we were moved 2 days later to another room with a wardrobe with 6 coat hangers wish we hadn't bothered.... rooms in desperate need of renovations mould in the shower and it dripped cold water on you when showering... it could be lovely but needs some serious tlc

Stayed: April 2017, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 28, 2017

Location of the hotel is excellent (in my opinion), you are 2 minutes from Karon Beach, and the same from a variety of bar, shops and restaurants.
Check in was ok, the staff have limited English, which did cause us a few issues further into our holiday. Also the reception staff were not keen in helping with any queries or problems. Wifi is absolutely shocking ,and that's when it even works, even though it states available in all rooms. High percentage of Russian guests.
The room was fine for 2, but not 3, as we had our daughter with us. There is a huge waste of space in the rooms, which in turn is a lack of storage. Having a bath behind the door, rather than as hanging space isn't particularly logical!
The pool worked well being long, they have a fair amount of sun loungers but no where near enough parasols, which were needed as practically no shade available.
The breakfast was more than adequate, there is something for everyone, no matter how fussy. But does get busy.

• Stayed: April 2017, traveled with family
1  Thank Lisa H
Reviewed March 31, 2017

We had a poolside room, and enjoyed that. The pool is not too clean though, a lot of algae on the sides. The patio is very small, and in direct sun for most of the day, but if you are quick, you can get a lounge on the grass in a shady place. Breakfast is OK, something for everyone. Bonus daily mini bar. Very close to the beach, eateries, shopping etc.

Room Tip: Pool access rooms, definately.
  • Stayed: March 2017, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 25, 2017

The Sugar Marina Art is one of 4 Sugar Marina properties in Phuket. This can be confusing and despite telling the driver it was the Sugar Marina Art at Karon, I still got dropped at the wrong hotel - so make sure you show your driver the hotel on a map.

Check-in at the hotel was efficient - the car was greeted by a porter who took me and and my bags to reception for check-in. I didn't realise that the hotel occupies 2 separate buildings. One building is for the pool access & pool view rooms while reception and more rooms are in the other building. Despite the efficient check-in, I found the information very poor. I assumed there might be a book in my room with answers to basic questions like is there a laundry?, a gym?, what are the restaurant hours?, the pool hours?, where do I book tours?, what is the wi-fi password?, etc. But I was told nothing on check-in and there was no information in the room. I went back to reception to ask for the wi-fi password but they spoke very poor English. First I was told "it in room" so I went and checked and there was no paper in my room with the wi-fi password. So I went back to reception and all I could understand was "it change daily", so I gave up and bought a SIM card with internet access (I recommend the DTAC tourist SIM).

It is definitely better if you get a pool view or pool access room so you are in the quieter building with better view over the pool and lawn area. The rooms are a decent size but mine had a terrible musty smell which I had to use a lot of cologne spray to mask. They really should air the rooms occasionally. The free mini-bar is awesome - you get a beer, cola, fruit drink and snickers bar daily per person. My room had 2 single beds even though I had requested a double. I called reception and they sent someone who just pushed them together! They didn't even put on a double doona and had 2 single doonas overlapping which was very annoying when sleeping.

I found the location of the hotel to be the best thing. It really is just a 5 minute walk to Karon Beach and it is nice that the hotel provides in the room beach towels and a beach mat to take to the beach. The hotel is down a small laneway which means there is less traffic noise. Out of the laneway is Patak Road which has lots of shopping and restaurants.

I only had breakfast at the hotel one morning. It is expensive for Karon at 389 baht and I found that many dishes had run out and they were slow at replacing. There is one chef cooking eggs to order but who is so swamped with orders that you will wait a long time. The other mornings I instead went to Karon Backpackers just 2 blocks away and breakfast is 159 baht without eggs or 199 baht with eggs (omelette, eggs benedict, etc).

Yes this hotel was full of Russians but you find them all over Phuket. It did seem strange at first that all the signs are in Thai, English and Russian. But really, if you wanted to escape other tourists, you wouldn't go to Phuket in the first place!

Room Tip: Pool view is best. Not as noisy as pool access but still with a good view.
  • Stayed: February 2017, traveled solo
Reviewed March 1, 2017

the hotel is not bad but the rooms you see are very cleverly photographed, if you can get one pool side you are fine, I was in another part of the hotel with a balcony overlooking an extractor fan from a café, some rooms don't have a balcony

Room Tip: specify pool side
  • Stayed: February 2017, traveled with friends