All reviewspool access roomkaron beachsnickers barfree mini barrooms are bigbars and restaurantspatak roadnight lifebottled waterstayed here for nightsshort walk to the beachbeach towelsbuffet breakfastegg stationminibarphuketslippers
Reviewed March 25, 2017

The Sugar Marina Art is one of 4 Sugar Marina properties in Phuket. This can be confusing and despite telling the driver it was the Sugar Marina Art at Karon, I still got dropped at the wrong hotel - so make sure you show your driver the hotel on a map.

Check-in at the hotel was efficient - the car was greeted by a porter who took me and and my bags to reception for check-in. I didn't realise that the hotel occupies 2 separate buildings. One building is for the pool access & pool view rooms while reception and more rooms are in the other building. Despite the efficient check-in, I found the information very poor. I assumed there might be a book in my room with answers to basic questions like is there a laundry?, a gym?, what are the restaurant hours?, the pool hours?, where do I book tours?, what is the wi-fi password?, etc. But I was told nothing on check-in and there was no information in the room. I went back to reception to ask for the wi-fi password but they spoke very poor English. First I was told "it in room" so I went and checked and there was no paper in my room with the wi-fi password. So I went back to reception and all I could understand was "it change daily", so I gave up and bought a SIM card with internet access (I recommend the DTAC tourist SIM).

It is definitely better if you get a pool view or pool access room so you are in the quieter building with better view over the pool and lawn area. The rooms are a decent size but mine had a terrible musty smell which I had to use a lot of cologne spray to mask. They really should air the rooms occasionally. The free mini-bar is awesome - you get a beer, cola, fruit drink and snickers bar daily per person. My room had 2 single beds even though I had requested a double. I called reception and they sent someone who just pushed them together! They didn't even put on a double doona and had 2 single doonas overlapping which was very annoying when sleeping.

I found the location of the hotel to be the best thing. It really is just a 5 minute walk to Karon Beach and it is nice that the hotel provides in the room beach towels and a beach mat to take to the beach. The hotel is down a small laneway which means there is less traffic noise. Out of the laneway is Patak Road which has lots of shopping and restaurants.

I only had breakfast at the hotel one morning. It is expensive for Karon at 389 baht and I found that many dishes had run out and they were slow at replacing. There is one chef cooking eggs to order but who is so swamped with orders that you will wait a long time. The other mornings I instead went to Karon Backpackers just 2 blocks away and breakfast is 159 baht without eggs or 199 baht with eggs (omelette, eggs benedict, etc).

Yes this hotel was full of Russians but you find them all over Phuket. It did seem strange at first that all the signs are in Thai, English and Russian. But really, if you wanted to escape other tourists, you wouldn't go to Phuket in the first place!

Room Tip: Pool view is best. Not as noisy as pool access but still with a good view.
  • Stayed: February 2017, traveled solo
Reviewed March 1, 2017

the hotel is not bad but the rooms you see are very cleverly photographed, if you can get one pool side you are fine, I was in another part of the hotel with a balcony overlooking an extractor fan from a café, some rooms don't have a balcony

Room Tip: specify pool side
  • Stayed: February 2017, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 22, 2017

i stay 13 night 23/1/2017 the hotel is amazing staff dead friendly kind free mini bar free wifi in room but wifi is better in hotel reception i am really in enjoyed my stay here in the centre of karon loads of bars and restaurants to go out and eat loads places to book your day trips as well

• Stayed: January 2017, traveled solo
Reviewed February 22, 2017

Overall the hotel is ok. But there are a few things that I dosen't like;

First of all, my hotel rum smelled so "weird" and awful. I can't explain it, but almost like really old and disgusting perfume. I tried to explain this for the reception but they only made the smell even worse.
Except that, the hotel room was nice and clean with a big bed. The "view" from the window was horrible though - there was no view, there was a big dirty wall in front of my whole window so I couldn't see anything.

The breakfast was poor and very much like junkfood. There was white bread, poor croissants and just some fruits, and all the food was finished almost every time and it took way too long for the stuff to refill the food on the buffet. Also it took very long time for the stuff the clean dirty tables. The lights in the restaurant were very poor and depressing.

The poolarea isn't that much too see either. Its a very basic pool (nice water though) with a boring lawn.

The best with the hotel is the location. 2 minutes from Karon beach. And also all the shopping and restaurants near by the hotel.

I spend three nights at the hotel, it was ok but I wont stay there again. I'm from Sweden, and It is a real Russian Hotel (just for your information) Bad/good, you decide.

Room Tip: Se till att få ett rum långt bort från gatan, annars hörs massa musik intill sent på natten.
  • Stayed: February 2017, traveled solo
Reviewed February 18, 2017 via mobile

Centralised location, was within walking distance from the beach, food and shopping areas at karon yet was quiet at night. Hotel was thoughtful to provide a mat for the beach and also free refillable minibar. Nice swimming pool as well.

Stayed: February 2017, traveled with friends