“a change of ownership”

Rattana Beach Hotel
Ranked #98 of 135 Hotels in Karon
Reviewed February 26, 2012

i have stayed in this hotel, on a few occassions, the staff are friendly enough, however the cleanliness of the rooms is poor. the pool, on a regular basis gets dirty with the water turning green!!! use the sea. the food is very poor, and exepensive, and if you stay at the front of the hotel, you will be disturbed by mr eak as elvis a few times a week, it has now been taken over by phuket heritage group, who are primarily aiming at the russian tourist market. i would not stay there anymore. there are no private safes in the rooms either.

Room Tip: only book rooms overlooking the swimming pool if you want to sleep at night
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank neil w
There are newer reviews for Rattana Beach Hotel

Reviewed February 15, 2012

The Ratana Hotel Restaurant was first visited last August and it is quite a coincidence that this review is written after our second visit on Valentines Day 2012. It so happened that last year when we visited Ratana a gifted Thai Singer was imitating Elvis but unfortunately this time" Elvis had left the building " .
The place had been delightfully decorated and my wife ordered a Vodka and Lime, and that is exactly what she received, a shot glass of vodka with a minute slice of lime,however the problem was soon corrected and we had a beautiful dinner comprising a hollowed pineapple filled with prawns fruits and vegetables.It wasn't overly spicy and had great after taste. All in all a fine meal, served with enthuisiasm by a fairly new and untrained staff well directed by the
Maitre De..
It was great value and very pleasant night was enjoyed by my wife and myself.
Maybe next time we visit Elvis will be there.
We were told he was in Bangkok on family business

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank joel44
Reviewed September 2, 2011

For the price and how close it is to the beach it's a perfect place to stay while in Karon Beach, save your money and stay here and spend that out on tours. It's got everything you need nearby and the staff were very friendly. But make sure you head over to Tod's Tours just across the road they always offered me the best deal.

The pool is great as most other places even close to this price range don't have a pool, also a number of similar sized properties don't have a lift but this hotel does. I had no problems with staff or found anything went missing, my only complaint is that it didn't have a laptop or small safe in the room. But as i said I had no issues and there is a very heavy duty door/lock on your room and camera's in the hall way.

As for any issues with the hotel it's common for any slightly older property to have a few minor issues, but overall the staff were amazing and they made you feel very welcome, if you can make sure you try the chicken cashew dish in the restaurant.

I went away for a few days to one of the islands and I enjoyed myself so much I came back to stay at the same place, see if you can get a 4th floor room as you can catch most of the sunset at night from your room.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
8  Thank David I
Reviewed March 18, 2011

I have to admit that I'm surprised by the lowly rating of this hotel (51 out of 57 at the time of writing). Whilst not the best I've stayed in during my Asian travels, I found the rooms to be well appointed, the bathroom perfectly adequate and (most of) the staff quite friendly - the older guy at reception was a bit of a grumpy mother hen, but the others were smiling and pleasant. I agree with the other reviewer that the balcony was laughably small and the pool is more somewhere to cool off than train for the Olympics.
The buffet seemed fine (but I'm more of a coffee and cigarette man in the morning) and the local area has enough eating options to mean that I didn't sample the hotel food at all during my stay.
Overall, I found the hotel to be a bit pricey for what you get but perfectly adequate for my needs, close to beach, restaurant and nightlife - there are definitely worse places to stay in Karon.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank Soloposhbloke
Reviewed February 1, 2011

We chose this hotel because of it's location, just 3 minutes from the beach. I have stayed in several hotels in karon before, and this was actually one of the nicest ones having in mind the location (near bars and stuff).

One day we came back after 2 o clock in the afternoon and the room still wasn't cleaned, so we didn't bother waiting for it.

The one thing that left a really bad taste in my mouth was the staff. When I walked in they made nasty comments about my looks (in thai) which they thought I couldn't understand, but a friend of mine who speaks thai sat in the lobby listening. This doesn't seem very professional to me and really ruined my stay at this hotel for me.

1  Thank RFRNFS
Reviewed January 13, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for only one night and had to check out as the noise was so loud I had to leave. The noise was louder than the TV in my room and the windows were shaking from the noise. Further, the hotel never advised me of the noise and they were extremely unhelpful and rude about the matter. Did not refund me for the new year's eve gala dinner which I was not even there for.

The pool was also very small and the rooms was not very clean at all.

I will never stay at this hotel again and do not recommend anyone.

1  Thank nicolemao
Reviewed January 3, 2011

Location
1. Very good location as near to the beach and restaurants.
2. Very convenient if you rent a motorbike or just hop on a tuk-tuk to nearby Kata beach for more restaurants if you want options.

Customer Service
1. I've never experienced staffs that were not well-groomed as the ones you can find in this hotel. They were borderline rude if you do take offense. What happened to the Thai smiley and pleasant faces? Funny though that the housekeeping ladies were extremely pleasant people who smiles and greets when they see you unlike the front desk staffs.
2. Lodged a complaint that the a/c unit in the room wasn't working. Room was scorching hot in that weather. Nothing was done during the day. Maintenance guy knocked on the door upon our return from day trip, came in the room, opened up the window/door to the balcony and had a look at the ac unit there, said he'll come back in a moment but was never to be seen ever again. Needless to say the entire trip we had a room which was much warmer than the surrounding environment.

Hotel Environment
1. Room seemed renovated in recent years but was unfortunately not well maintained.
2. Curtains and linens had stains on them so even though they may be clean, they appeared soiled.
3. Tiles in the bathroom were also stained so it did 'look' dirty. For a relatively average sized asian girl like me, I did bang my elbows on the wall when in the shower. So please be cautious.
4. The decorative pillows were actually plastic bags stuffed with some cotton like material so it's not something you would like to hug.
5. There was a very strange unpleasant smell around the lobby and breakfast area. It was some kind of stale air like a mix of drain and rubbish which could have been addressed by lighting up some scented candles that might have worked as a mosquito repellent as well. Be prepared to get bitten at the lobby...

1  Thank silveryz80