“Very Very Good. But not the Best”
Review of The Slate

The Slate
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Nai Yang
“Very Very Good. But not the Best”
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Hotel is really great. But remember. There are hotels like this in Australia for the same money.
I'm not sure I would go to Phuket for a Honeymoon. I would probably pick northern Queensland or an Island. Probably the Cook Islands.

Thailand is more about the experience than the Hotel. That being said this is one of the top 5 hotels in Phuket region. But you will pay for it.
A really great concept though. Loved the stay here whilst on conderence. but I just think, there is so many better alternatives for the money. Maybe not in Phuket though.

Room Tip: There are rooms with mini pools that look ok. Not sure I would pay double for them though
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Swivell

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (604)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Reviewed April 26, 2013

I rated my experience at the Indigo Pearl as average only. My spa treatment at Coqoon Spa was ok but didn't match the high price I paid. This was by far the most expensive spa treatment I have ever paid, and I was really looking forward to it. Unfortunately it's not as good as I expected it to be.

Firstly, good points:

I didn't stay at the hotel. I only had 4.5 spa treatment at Coqoon Spa and chose one of the Nest Packages - Nest Healing at their piece de resistance - the Nest. I do admit, the Nest is the best spa treatment room I've been so far in my spa's journey. The designs of the nests are very unique and tucked away in peaceful isolation, hence I had very peaceful spa experience surrounded by nature. The package included Balancing Rebirth massage, Ear candling, Spa cuisine, Indian head massage and Facial cleanse and massage. I was not that keen to have ear candling treatment and the staff was so kind to change it to one of the body scrub with no additional charge.

There are 2 nests connected by flying bridge. One nest is the treatment room and can accommodate 2 people max. It's clean, spacious and different. The second nest is the bathroom/shower/toilet for guests to get change. The decorations are all nature-related, very unique and beautiful. There are other regular treatment rooms as well that also look very peaceful and unique.

The spa's staff and therapists are definitely the best professionals I have ever encountered. My therapist was a very sweet Thai lady, very polite, friendly and she made me feel very comfortable for the entire treatment. She chatted with me during the breaktime, guided me all along the way, esp along the stairs just so that I wouldn't trip, and she even asked one of the other therapists to accompany me during my lunch time while she was having lunch. Not that I mind being alone, but that's very nice of her to think about me.

Now here are the bad points:

Spa cuisine: Very disappointed in this one. They taste jst ok, but the portions were the problem. For the skyrocketing price I paid, I expected at least a decent lunch because the treatment was 4.5 hrs. You can't possibly expect a guest to stay not hungry if you jst gave them food in entrees size. All that was given were 6 little chinese spoons that contained: 2 prawns, 2 smoked salmon with sour cream, and 1 fresh spring roll cut in half and put in 2 spoons; few celery and carrot sticks put in a small glass, 3 slices of pineapples and tea. That's it! I was sooo hungry halfway through the treatment.

My therapist: Although she's a lovely lady, but her hand pressure was not consistent. It was good and hard enough in one point, but then it trailed away and became weaker in other point. So it's kinda of a hit and miss.

I couldn't remember if I wrote anything about these bad points in their feedback form, maybe I didn't...but there you go, these are the points which I was not very happy about.

We also had very confused experience with the hotel's dining recommendation. What happened was, the night before my spa treatment, we wanted to have seafood dinner at beachside and I know Indigo Pearl, being a 5 star hotel at beachside, should have one. We're not the hotel's guest but were not sure if the hotel actually allows non-guest to dine in one of their restaurants. So we thought let's ask the front counter and if it's not ok, surely she would tell us.

So, I walked into the gate entrance (after getting the permission from the security), but the walkway was very dark. So dark that I barely saw the way of how to get to the lobby. Me and my mom just walked around and around, and there's no clear direction. We didn't see any people or car coming in, so finally after 10mins we managed to find the lobby and asked someone inside the hotel where their seafood restaurant was. The directions he gave us led us to nowhere but a walkway leading to a closed door. We walked back and asked the front counter again.

The lady recommended us to go to Cotemer. And I said, ok but how to go there. She said she would get a buggy car to drive us there because the hotel's ground is massive. The buggy car came, drove us through mazes of dimly light pathways. Halfway there the driver stopped and said 'Ok go out from the gate, and you could go to any restaurant you want' And I said, no the front counter said we could go to Cotemer. Then he said "Oh Cotemer, you have to walk further down there.." as he pointed the direction to us. So we walked further for about 5 mins and thankfully there were some guests who were walking in the same direction, so we jst followed them....only to find Cotemer was actually CLOSED!!!! Turns out the restaurant closes at 5pm. So why did the lady recommend us to go to this restaurant?? And why didn't the buggy driver advise us about this? This was bad bad! They should have known this.

So bottom line, it was an ok average spa experience. Service at the hotel's front counter about the restaurant was unacceptable. It's very unlikely I will be back.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Poikime
Penang Island, Malaysia
Reviewed April 24, 2013

This hotel is very chic and stylish so we may see some people love it very much and some people dislike it. I am very impressive about the flower shop, SPA product shop and cooking classroom. Those are not very common in other hotels but make the guests full of fun and happiness while staying in this hotel. I love the privacy because the hotel is very spacious and feel satisfied with the quality of service and food. Nothing to complain.

Room Tip: Rooms at Second floor have very nice view.
Ripley, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 24, 2013

We loved this place. First for the terrific choice of pools. The three on offer include two for adults only (more resorts should do that) and an all-ager that is beautiful designed.

Second, for the great location – out through an almost secret passage and you are onto the lovely Nai Yang beach, with an amazing range of restaurants right on the sand that serve some of the best regularly priced food we eat during our month in the country. At night the atmosphere is simply wonderful. There’s an endless choice of massage places too at reasonable prices.

Third for the wonderful breakfast – a vast choice that is perfectly cooked and served.

Visually the Indigo Pearl’s lush setting, in manicured tropical grounds, is a treat. The buildings exterior may be somewhat stark – grey concrete and metal – but the interiors more than make up for it. Sadly though there are no concessions for those who’s legs are not in good working order. Not an issue for us but it could be for others.

The staff are charming, but as this is Thailand it goes without saying. Yet how nice to have poolside or beachside cold water brought to you and even the occasional small offering of fresh fruit.

What we didn’t like though were the high prices for food and drink as served by the resort. A glass of wine at the beach club was £10 but only £2 a few yards further along.

We loved Indigo Pearl and all that surrounds it – and hope to return. But will make the most of the facilities while spending our food and drink money outside.

Room Tip: Rooms close to the exit to the beach would be the most convenient.
2 Thank Peter M
ExecOffice, Management at The Slate, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear Peter,

Thank you for your feedback, much appreciated. Your concern has been noted and most certainly will be reviewed. Looking forward to welcoming you back. Kind Regards Indigo Pearl team.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed April 23, 2013

We arrived at this hotel after spending 5 nights in Karon, and needing to escape to a nicer area in Phuket. Everything about this hotel is amazing. The location is fantastic, right next to the lovely Nai Yang beach, which is quiet and peaceful. The architecture of the hotel and the rooms was stunning, so unique and interesting. Loved the private adult pools. We only left them to go to back and forth from the beach.
We booked a pool villa and were very impressed with size of the room and the beautiful layout. The room service food was great, very quick delivery. We ate at the Rivet restaurant one night and had the degustation. It was seriously amazing, as good as top restaurants in Melbourne! I would highly recommend dining there.
The staff were all very lovely and accommodating. The staff came around to light the candles along our pool at night and the mosquito coils.
We will definitely be visiting again. Our only disappointment was that we wasted 5 nights in Karon before finding this place!

Room Tip: We booked a pool villa, it was exceptional!
2 Thank Ainsley H
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Reviewed April 22, 2013

The scenery is absolutely gorgeous at the Pearl. From the rooms to the pool the architecture is breathtaking. The hospitality is second to none. Everyone is so friendly and ready to cater to you. It was the perfect setting for my fiancé and myself to disconnect.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I really did not know what to expect when I arrived. It started when I walked in the lobby. Unfortunately my bags did not make it when I did and the front desk took my information and ran with it, delivering my bags to my room the next day. I did not have to do a thing. The staff was amazing taking care of everything and anything. It got to the point when I walked in to grab a bite to eat the staff remembered me and automatically brought me an iced coffee before I even asked. It was just another level of customer service. I do not even know where to begin explaining the level of service that they bestowed on my friends and I. The facility was amazing, the rooms were fantastic and the staff has reset the bar on which I will judge all other staff from now on. I will definately make the Indigo Pearl an annual destination for my friends and family. On a side note the food was some of the best I have ever had. All I can say is thank you to everyone at Indigo Pearl.

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms here. Any room is a fantastic choice.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Amari Phuket
Amari Phuket
#2 of 321 in Patong
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,358 reviews

Been to The Slate? Share your experiences!