“Excellent stay and a trip to remember!”
Review of The Slate

The Slate
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Nai Yang
Scotland
“Excellent stay and a trip to remember!”
Reviewed November 27, 2012

I have just wrote a review on a recent stay in the USA and realised I haven't reviewed Indigo Pearl from last summer. I know this is a long time ago but it is a fantastic hotel and the service is arguably the best we have ever had. Having arrived in Thailand after a very long trip from the UK we were glad at how close Nai Yang is to the airport. Saying this, you don't hear any planes and can only see them in the distance from the beach. The village is wonderful, and although we arrived in the dark and were a bit overwhelmed you soon find your feet. Everyone is so friendly and the food in the little restaurants is superb.

At Indigo Pearl itself, we enjoyed all the pools and the breakfast is fantastic. We had a Pearl Suite with a pool (can't remeber the exact name of the room) which was beyond our expectations. The trips that the hotel organise for you are also a must. We travelled to Phi Phi Islands, Elephant Trecking and also ventured into Patong on two occasions. Patong is 40 minutes away and although a fun place, it's great to come back to the Indigo Pearl as this is so relaxed. I personally wouldn't stay in Patong and found it great to just be able to travel in there if we fancied seeing that side of Thailand.

There's so many more positives I'll have forgot to mention but we recommended IP to our friends for their honeymoon who also had a wonderful time.

I'm sure we'll be back to the IP sometime in the future!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank shootermgavin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (605)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Perth
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Spent 7 nights there in October. Loved the mining theme throughout even down to cutlery. Separate pools for adults pools excellent idea with little touchs like complimentary fruit and cold face towels. Great location with easy access to restaurants on the beach, watched the sunset every night. We would go back

Room Tip: Pool pavilion rooms nice but plunge pool was in shade so a bit cold
1 Thank Freqtraveller5
Bishopton
Reviewed November 22, 2012

Just returned from an amazing 2 week honeymoon trip to Indigo Pearl, this was our second visit this year and exceeded all of our expectations, we had booked the Bensley Suite but when we arrived were told we had been upgraded to one of the Private Pool Villas, the layout of the 2 villas was excellent the pool had sun from early in the morning until late in the evening.

1 Thank Thommo49
Pisa, Italy
Reviewed November 22, 2012

Pros:

- The resort itself is quite impressive: original design, quality furniture and nice décor (though they kind of took the mining theme a bit too far, I my opinion)
- Top quality bed sheets, towels, pillows, toiletries, room amenities etc: in this respect, a true 5*
- Adult-only infinity pools, so you can relax without screaming kids around

Cons:

- The beach is just average (for Thailand)
- The overall "ambience" around the resort is not very sophisticated, as t is surrounded by cheaper establishments and pretty ugly buildings. There is a "eco-monster" on the left side of the beach, I think it's another resort, which really spoils the view
- No air-con in common areas (and all the fans were switched off, I had an unwanted sauna at the reception at check-in, as well as every day for breakfast).
- No air-con in the bathroom (why is that?!) – You can shave and have a sauna at the same time
- Having to pay extra 185 bath at breakfast for a cappuccino is ridiculous in a place with this price-tag
- Food at the more upscale restaurant is quite good but incredibly expensive for Thailand - I spent more there than at the Oriental restaurant and The Face in Bangkok and the food, service and settings are light years apart. I asked for advice on the wine to accompany a dish and no-one was able to answer. If you charge 10-12 EUR per glass of wine, I would at least have that service covered.
-Service is so-so, which is surprising in Thailand: no warmth, no smile and a sort of pretentiousness that no-one needs, especially on a beach vacation

All in all, I would say it does have the facilities of 5* but not the ambience. It is too big and impersonal for a honeymoon or romantic vacation and probably too expensive for families compared to other (many) comparable resorts in Phuket. Nothing to do in the surroundings, so I would not go there with friends or on a solo travel. Although there is nothing specifically wrong with this place, I would not know to whom I'd recommend it, except, possibly a family getting a very good rate (100-130 EUR per double). Anything more is a waste of money.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Franz21
ExecOffice, Management at The Slate, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Dear Franz21,

Thank you for your feedback and acknowledge your opinion on the ambience at the resort. We certainly try our best to deliver the Thai hospitality but there is always room for improvement. Kind Regards, Indigo Pearl team.
perth
Reviewed November 21, 2012

Loved this hotel and the location. Stayed here for 7 nights and thoroughly enjoyed the place. Breakfast each morning was great and the Sunday brunch, although expensive compared to the cheap restaurants outside, was still good value. Great idea with 2 adult only pools to get away from the main pool with the kids and families around.
We did have a problem with the hot water for a couple of days but Julianna the Manager couldn't have been more helpful and transferred us to an upgraded room. We will definitely be returning. Used Indigo Tailor and Mario Tours just outside for all our needs and found them great.

Room Tip: If you want to be close to the beach and outside restaurants ask for a room down that end of the hot...
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed November 20, 2012

I visited Indigo Pearl with my husband for our honeymoon and we stayed about 8 days. At first, I was really impressed with Indigo Pearl-the reception area is amazing and the greeting was nice. We were technically upgraded (but I wasn't aware of this until we checked out) and we got a complimentary bottle of wine and some cute treats delivered to our room. The room we had was the D-Buk Suite and it was right by the reception area/Tin Mine- we were impressed...at first. The room was very spacious with a nice view of the family pool. I was initially taken aback when I noticed the toilet had no door-a little odd and more revealing than what I expected! This didn't bother me...until..our room started smelling like sewage. We didn't think anything of it, we called and let the staff know and they were very prompt in dealing with it. Housekeeping showed up and cleaned out the drain in the bathroom (which is probably where it was coming from) and set up some sort of scent contraption to mask the smell. But after a couple more days it would not go away. Pretty soon-the roaches started showing up in our room (I understand the hotel cannot control the bugs, but I thought it was excessive after dealing with the sewage issue) We called and asked it to be resolved-The staff was understanding and they offered to switch us rooms-which we agreed. We actually were moved to a Premium Suite-which I thought was still very nice but with less space. This new room smelled a lot better and we didn't seem to have any sewage smell issues- although this room was a bit more beat up as it had a lot of mold issues on the ceiling and in the shower. I was disappointed with this situation because I feel at least we should have gotten a credit or something other than just switching rooms. We had a few more issues, one being our TV broke-but again, the staff was very prompt in handling this for us. I really liked the theme of the resort, and thought it was a unique design. It was quite difficult navigating the resort and finding the beach, different restaurants etc- It could use some better signage.

The resort seemed to cater more towards families, so if you are looking for a romantic honeymoon time away, I wouldn't suggest staying here. There were a lot of kids, a lot of crying babies at the time of our visit. Our neighbors literally had their 5 kids playing in the plunge pool at 6:30 AM.

The breakfast at Tin Mine was good and didn't have any issues with the food. The service in the morning was a bit sketchy, but it was busy and we didn't mind. We loved Tin Mine for dinner-the service was much better and the food was really good. My husband loved the fried rice. We also ate at the Tin Mine Syndicate- which was good if you are looking for some comfort food and the service was prompt as we were the only ones there eating. Rivet Grill was interesting and expensive. If you are looking for some unique cuisine, I would suggest eating here. The food was expensive for Thailand, so I wouldn't suggest eating there all the time because it could really add up. We also ordered room service, which was delicious and not as expensive as we thought it would be. If you are looking for some cheap food, some of the restaurants on the beach were fabulous-and cheap!

There was quite a bit construction going on, which is unfortunate during high season. Pool 3 was closed but Pool 2 was a lifesaver. Overall, this pool was a treat as it's adult only so there weren't any kids and there was a swim up bar. Again, speaking to the fact that this resort is supposed to be 5 star-the pool chairs were broken and the towels provided are all ratty. I would have hoped for nicer chairs and towels.

The beach was nice, there was some trash but normally they would clean it up. There was a nice man working there that would lay out our towels for us and if there wasn't an umbrella available, he would make sure that the next one to open up was ours- I thought that was nice. I did see a jellyfish in the water, but other than that the water was warm and calm. By the end of our stay, I was becoming so annoyed at the fact that locals will literally wake you up from your sleep, and ask you if you wanted to buy something. There was a lot of locals passing by trying to make a sale-it would be nice if this section of the beach wouldn't allow that.

We also booked a Mr and Mrs package at the spa-which was heaven. That was probably my favorite part-Although it was a lot pricier (10,000 Thb), we wanted to splurge and relax. I had the greatest most relaxing time here.

To summarize the accommodations, if you are looking for a Four Seasons type 5 star-this isn't for you. I find it odd that it's in that category, because I felt like the upkeep of the rooms did not meet this expectation. Although my stay wasn't what I thought it would be, the staff was beyond friendly and accomodating.

Room Tip: The premium suite is still a very nice room, smaller than others but it serves it's purpose
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
ExecOffice, Management at The Slate, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Dear Cathy,

Our sincere apologies for the inconvenience experienced. We certainly cater for both families and couples and will do our best to ensure your holiday is much enjoyed as intended. Kind Regards, Indigo Pearl team
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed November 16, 2012

I have stay 3 nights at Indigo Peral in April 2012. The Hotel style is unique but the standard is just average. You won't make any complain if your stay in this Hotel but you would like to choose to stay in another hotel if you back Phuket.

The room is big enough but reqlly need repair as the floor was serious damage and old.

On the other hand, the restaurant really worth a try especially for their Thai resturant, the decoration is amazing and the food is delicious.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Amari Phuket
Amari Phuket
#2 of 322 in Patong
JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa

Been to The Slate? Share your experiences!