“Great Holiday”
Review of The Slate

The Slate
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Nai Yang
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Spent 7 nights there in October. Loved the mining theme throughout even down to cutlery. Separate pools for adults pools excellent idea with little touchs like complimentary fruit and cold face towels. Great location with easy access to restaurants on the beach, watched the sunset every night. We would go back

Room Tip: Pool pavilion rooms nice but plunge pool was in shade so a bit cold
1  Thank Freqtraveller5
There are newer reviews for The Slate

Reviewed November 22, 2012

Just returned from an amazing 2 week honeymoon trip to Indigo Pearl, this was our second visit this year and exceeded all of our expectations, we had booked the Bensley Suite but when we arrived were told we had been upgraded to one of the Private Pool Villas, the layout of the 2 villas was excellent the pool had sun from early in the morning until late in the evening.

1  Thank Thommo49
Reviewed November 22, 2012

Pros:

- The resort itself is quite impressive: original design, quality furniture and nice décor (though they kind of took the mining theme a bit too far, I my opinion)
- Top quality bed sheets, towels, pillows, toiletries, room amenities etc: in this respect, a true 5*
- Adult-only infinity pools, so you can relax without screaming kids around

Cons:

- The beach is just average (for Thailand)
- The overall "ambience" around the resort is not very sophisticated, as t is surrounded by cheaper establishments and pretty ugly buildings. There is a "eco-monster" on the left side of the beach, I think it's another resort, which really spoils the view
- No air-con in common areas (and all the fans were switched off, I had an unwanted sauna at the reception at check-in, as well as every day for breakfast).
- No air-con in the bathroom (why is that?!) – You can shave and have a sauna at the same time
- Having to pay extra 185 bath at breakfast for a cappuccino is ridiculous in a place with this price-tag
- Food at the more upscale restaurant is quite good but incredibly expensive for Thailand - I spent more there than at the Oriental restaurant and The Face in Bangkok and the food, service and settings are light years apart. I asked for advice on the wine to accompany a dish and no-one was able to answer. If you charge 10-12 EUR per glass of wine, I would at least have that service covered.
-Service is so-so, which is surprising in Thailand: no warmth, no smile and a sort of pretentiousness that no-one needs, especially on a beach vacation

All in all, I would say it does have the facilities of 5* but not the ambience. It is too big and impersonal for a honeymoon or romantic vacation and probably too expensive for families compared to other (many) comparable resorts in Phuket. Nothing to do in the surroundings, so I would not go there with friends or on a solo travel. Although there is nothing specifically wrong with this place, I would not know to whom I'd recommend it, except, possibly a family getting a very good rate (100-130 EUR per double). Anything more is a waste of money.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Franz21
ExecOffice, Management at The Slate, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2012

Dear Franz21,

Thank you for your feedback and acknowledge your opinion on the ambience at the resort. We certainly try our best to deliver the Thai hospitality but there is always room for improvement. Kind Regards, Indigo Pearl team.

Reviewed November 21, 2012

Loved this hotel and the location. Stayed here for 7 nights and thoroughly enjoyed the place. Breakfast each morning was great and the Sunday brunch, although expensive compared to the cheap restaurants outside, was still good value. Great idea with 2 adult only pools to get away from the main pool with the kids and families around.
We did have a problem with the hot water for a couple of days but Julianna the Manager couldn't have been more helpful and transferred us to an upgraded room. We will definitely be returning. Used Indigo Tailor and Mario Tours just outside for all our needs and found them great.

Room Tip: If you want to be close to the beach and outside restaurants ask for a room down that end of the hot...
Reviewed November 20, 2012

I visited Indigo Pearl with my husband for our honeymoon and we stayed about 8 days. At first, I was really impressed with Indigo Pearl-the reception area is amazing and the greeting was nice. We were technically upgraded (but I wasn't aware of this until we checked out) and we got a complimentary bottle of wine and some cute treats delivered to our room. The room we had was the D-Buk Suite and it was right by the reception area/Tin Mine- we were impressed...at first. The room was very spacious with a nice view of the family pool. I was initially taken aback when I noticed the toilet had no door-a little odd and more revealing than what I expected! This didn't bother me...until..our room started smelling like sewage. We didn't think anything of it, we called and let the staff know and they were very prompt in dealing with it. Housekeeping showed up and cleaned out the drain in the bathroom (which is probably where it was coming from) and set up some sort of scent contraption to mask the smell. But after a couple more days it would not go away. Pretty soon-the roaches started showing up in our room (I understand the hotel cannot control the bugs, but I thought it was excessive after dealing with the sewage issue) We called and asked it to be resolved-The staff was understanding and they offered to switch us rooms-which we agreed. We actually were moved to a Premium Suite-which I thought was still very nice but with less space. This new room smelled a lot better and we didn't seem to have any sewage smell issues- although this room was a bit more beat up as it had a lot of mold issues on the ceiling and in the shower. I was disappointed with this situation because I feel at least we should have gotten a credit or something other than just switching rooms. We had a few more issues, one being our TV broke-but again, the staff was very prompt in handling this for us. I really liked the theme of the resort, and thought it was a unique design. It was quite difficult navigating the resort and finding the beach, different restaurants etc- It could use some better signage.

The resort seemed to cater more towards families, so if you are looking for a romantic honeymoon time away, I wouldn't suggest staying here. There were a lot of kids, a lot of crying babies at the time of our visit. Our neighbors literally had their 5 kids playing in the plunge pool at 6:30 AM.

The breakfast at Tin Mine was good and didn't have any issues with the food. The service in the morning was a bit sketchy, but it was busy and we didn't mind. We loved Tin Mine for dinner-the service was much better and the food was really good. My husband loved the fried rice. We also ate at the Tin Mine Syndicate- which was good if you are looking for some comfort food and the service was prompt as we were the only ones there eating. Rivet Grill was interesting and expensive. If you are looking for some unique cuisine, I would suggest eating here. The food was expensive for Thailand, so I wouldn't suggest eating there all the time because it could really add up. We also ordered room service, which was delicious and not as expensive as we thought it would be. If you are looking for some cheap food, some of the restaurants on the beach were fabulous-and cheap!

There was quite a bit construction going on, which is unfortunate during high season. Pool 3 was closed but Pool 2 was a lifesaver. Overall, this pool was a treat as it's adult only so there weren't any kids and there was a swim up bar. Again, speaking to the fact that this resort is supposed to be 5 star-the pool chairs were broken and the towels provided are all ratty. I would have hoped for nicer chairs and towels.

The beach was nice, there was some trash but normally they would clean it up. There was a nice man working there that would lay out our towels for us and if there wasn't an umbrella available, he would make sure that the next one to open up was ours- I thought that was nice. I did see a jellyfish in the water, but other than that the water was warm and calm. By the end of our stay, I was becoming so annoyed at the fact that locals will literally wake you up from your sleep, and ask you if you wanted to buy something. There was a lot of locals passing by trying to make a sale-it would be nice if this section of the beach wouldn't allow that.

We also booked a Mr and Mrs package at the spa-which was heaven. That was probably my favorite part-Although it was a lot pricier (10,000 Thb), we wanted to splurge and relax. I had the greatest most relaxing time here.

To summarize the accommodations, if you are looking for a Four Seasons type 5 star-this isn't for you. I find it odd that it's in that category, because I felt like the upkeep of the rooms did not meet this expectation. Although my stay wasn't what I thought it would be, the staff was beyond friendly and accomodating.

Room Tip: The premium suite is still a very nice room, smaller than others but it serves it's purpose
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Cathy,

Our sincere apologies for the inconvenience experienced. We certainly cater for both families and couples and will do our best to ensure your holiday is much enjoyed as intended. Kind Regards, Indigo Pearl team

Reviewed November 16, 2012

I have stay 3 nights at Indigo Peral in April 2012. The Hotel style is unique but the standard is just average. You won't make any complain if your stay in this Hotel but you would like to choose to stay in another hotel if you back Phuket.

The room is big enough but reqlly need repair as the floor was serious damage and old.

On the other hand, the restaurant really worth a try especially for their Thai resturant, the decoration is amazing and the food is delicious.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 16, 2012

This was a great resort to stay in. Like some other reviewers I did find the distance from our room to some of the facilities vast, and got lost on two occassions. It is a bit of a maze. I am glad they decided to fill up the adult pool on the 2nd day of our stay, when we arrived it was empty and being worked on - which was concerning given we had booked a room overlooking it and because we were attracted to this facility.Also a shame about the gym being under a rebulid. My biggest complaint is about the dive operator based in the resort - Paradise Diving. There is a new guy there taking out the dive trips - Samual Wong. This guy is full of talk and no action. I paid over 8000baht for the trip to Pi Pi, and 3 dives. The first dive is one of the worst dives I have ever been on, and given that I learnt to dive in Scotland, that is saying a lot (I have also dived some amazing places such as PNG and NZ, Samoa, Fiji, Raratonga, so have wide experience and am very cautious of the whole sales gimmick). I do not want to pay good money to see dead coral and sand. I made this clear to Sam before I booked the trip and after we came up from the first dive at Shark Bay. The second dive at Viking Cove was vastly better, but that's because I took control of the dive and led it, otherwise Sam would have had me going at snails pace looking at sand and dead coral again. The 3rd dive was also awful. I have never felt so angry under water. The other diver on the trip, a Swede, was also very very dissapointed. I think the problem is Sam - he is totally new, he does not know where the decent spots are on the dive sites, and he is not at all client centred. It's about him - he seems to think I should have enjoyed the sand and dead coral, even though I made it very clear to him I wanted to see live coral, fish, and colour. I did not even demand big fish, any fish would have done. The guy also smokes on board, and I suspect is drinking alcohol (I think the boat crew know this - they were giving him some odd looks when he was swigging brown fluid out of a water bottle). He should not be in the job he is in. If you dive with this outfit ask for someone else, not Sam Wong. This was a great shame, we had a great time at the resort and around the village. I agree with other reviewers that the locals, tourists and resort owners, and dive operators, all need to pick up the rubbish. Even out at Pi Pi Lai, where we dived, there were areas in the water about the size of a small room of pasltic bottles, rubbish bags and other junk in the sea. I can't believe the dive operators aren't out there picking it up while they wait for the snorkellors and divers to have their fun. What is going on here really makes me worry for the future of our oceans.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Amari Phuket
Amari Phuket
#2 of 328 in Patong
Phuket Marriott Resort and Spa, Nai Yang Beach

Been to The Slate? Share your experiences!