“A little piece of paradise!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sangla
Banjara Camp & Retreat - Sangla Valley Camp
Ranked #1 of 11 Specialty Lodging in Sangla
Pune, India
“A little piece of paradise!”
Reviewed May 26, 2010

We spent 4 days at this camp and it was an experience to cherish! The photographs dont do justice to the place. The location is perfect - on the banks of the cerulean Baspa river, in an apple orchard, surrounded by snow clad peaks.
We stayed in tents because we wanted to experience the novelty - but next time I'll choose the lodge. It gets very cold in the evenings and though we were snug and warm thanks to the quilts and the hot water bottles at night, it was difficult to know how to keep warm in the late evening till they started the bonfire.

This camp is run by Mr Sud and Mr Oza who spend alternate summers there (while the other runs things from Delhi). Ajay Sud and his lovely wife Chandrika happened to be there this year and we were amazed by their warm hospitality and the personal touch they provided to every small service...right from the hot water bags thoughtfully placed in the beds at night,, a shegdi lit in the comon room to warm frozen hands, trekking with us and the array of snacks placed on the common room counter for hungry kids.

The camp recommends 3 or 4 hikes for those (like us) who love the outdoors. We went for all and I'd strongly recommend everyone do the same. It snowed in Chitkul on our first day and the scenery on the drive there was like a christmas card. We trekked to Nagasthi through snow and it was a memory to cherish.
The trek to Raksham was the highlight. Its a 4 -5 hr hike through Batseri village then through pine forests and lush meadows and glaciers , alongside the gushing Baspa.
Ajay's tow small boys accompanied us and they were the most enthusiastic and energetic trekkers I've seen. They became thouroughly wet while sliding down the glaciers and the guide had to light a bonfire to dry their socks and their jackets before we could proceed.

In short - the location of the hotel is perfect, the view spectacular, the food is delicious and the attention to every detail is amazing.
I read in a previous comment that foreigners were given preferential treatment at the expense of indians but I have to say that our experience was just the opposite. We had a group of Canadians who were there for some serious Himalayan cycling and we never felt they received any special treatment.

Oh- and the strawberries growing just outside the kitchen were deliciously sweet! :)

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank sanjana0

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
mumbai
Reviewed May 25, 2010

Sangla valley is the most beautiful valley in Himachal. Banjara Retreat in Sangla is a comfortable cosy resort, it has good rooms with fabulous mountain views, helpful staff & good food, great holiday spot! go for it!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank PNahata
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed March 3, 2010

My first introduction to high altitude trekking. Nestled in the midst of mountains, this valley in which the Baspa River passes is the best camping site ever created by floods. Now a safe site, is managed by an ex-military man. Well read and well travelled himself. Nice Picture Gallery. Good ethnic food and the apple chutney is delicious. The stay is nice and comfortable with hot water from geaser available 24 hours, which is much desired in the climate of Sangla. Good trek mates who will take utmost care for your convenience and the best part is the contentment in the packed lunch which they offer at lunch time on treks. Slightly expensive but value for money looking at the conditions atop.

• Liked — Baspa River Flowing nearby
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank Andybhai
gurgaon
Reviewed May 9, 2009

Sangla valley is nothing less than awe inspiring with the majestic himalayas towering over a picturesque village nestled by the baspa river. And the location of the Banjara property in the valley is nothing less than ideal - located by the gushing baspa river it offers unhindered views of the mountains, river, and village in the distance. The location is very quiet and peaceful, beyond the over grown Sangla village and the ugly dam construction work, and we got to see and smell the abundant apple blossoms at this time of the year. (I have visited the same property in the month of July in the past when it was teeming with lovely wild flowers and flowers planted by the Banjara people.)

In the past 12 years I have visited the banjara property three times, and each time I have had the same experience when it comes to service and hospitality. The banjara food is yummy (in anticipation of the good food, my brother, who has visited the banjara properties once before, could be heard telling everyone to save their appetites from the time we set off from delhi.. ). Banjara staff if very attentive and the small details never fail to amaze me - I still can't get over the hot water bottles and warm water that they hand out to you every night to make your night comfortable.

I love the mountains, and of all the Banjara properties, I love being in Sangla the best because I think the location of the property here is unmatched. I have come back having experienced the peace and tranquility I was looking for. This time we stayed in the newly built retreat so the expereince was a bit different. While I love staying in the tents as you are closest to nature that way, I was thankful for the warm, cozy rooms, as this time we visited earlier in the year and it was colder. The retreat is beautifully built with lots of big windows to maximise the views, wooden floors, wood panelling and solid wooden furniture. I was glad though that dinner for all guests continues to be at the campsite where you get out and enjoy the bonfire every evening, meet some interesting people, and potentially make new friends - it is BYOB though, so you need to plan for your own alcohol. But, it is not only adults who enjoy the place. In our group this time we had 4 kids ranging in age from 8 months to 12 years and each of them enjoyed it. The older kids who would not shake their limbs in the city loved the long walks, the river crossing and the burma bridge.... So, all in all, the Banjara retreat is a great place for a vacation for adults and kids alike, whether you just want to chill and enjoy the views with a nice book to read lying on the hammock, with the sound of the wind and river... or go out for walks and climbs and be a bit more adventurous!!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank Indianwomanhiker
Delhi
Reviewed May 4, 2009

I have stayed with Banjara in Sangla before and always found the experience quite exceptional, but this time was a little vary because I would be the first resident in their newly built retreat, which is not tents but a more permanent structure. Also, Unlike in our youth (sic) we were now traveling with two kids (2 years and 8 months) + a doberman. And my wife's extended family had one minivan and one SUV full to the brim.

Any fears I had were unfounded. The same Banjara standards I was used to were maintained. The food was great - I came back with a pound or two extra, despite long walks practically everyday. The rooms themselves are great - lots of space, big windows with excellent views , and the generous use of wood making them really warm and cozy. Each room is attached to a pretty large semi-private (each balcone shared with one other rom) Balcony which is a great place to enjoy the warm sun with a hot cup of tea. Even in the retreat though, some elements of camp life have been kept alive - the dinner was common with the camp folks, and the huddle around the bonfire every evening were standards fixtures. There were a few minor glitches to be expected with first time stays - on one occasion a Geyser was down etc, but the Banjara staff were swift in their response and the the problem was fixed / an alternative provided very quickly. And the little extras they throw in - be it a hot water bottle to warm your bed - or a can of extra gas, which one had forgotten to stock up on - always make one feel just that little bit more at home.

We drove from Delhi and back - spent 6 days and seven nights in Banjara and had a really great time. Would recommend it whole heartedly to all the people who want to enjoy the mountains but escape the commercial touristy places like Simla and Manali. I still think that the tents are a more pristine and natural experience, with less separating you from nature. But I think the retreat was a welcome addition, and worked well as we were able to go there with little kids much earlier in the year (when the low was still in single digits (celcius)) , and still enjoy the mountains to the hilt.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank Chetanmahajan
Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed May 1, 2009

We stayed at Banjara camp for 2 days when we were traveling across Himachal Pradesh.
Pros:
1. Wonderful concept of camps by Baspa river
2. Good arrangements and several options for outdoor activities
Cons:
1. Apparent preference for Caucasian travelers. :-(

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Attitude
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank ArindamDas
Delhi, India
Reviewed November 22, 2007

Sangla Valley is one of the more amazing places that you can visit - it is a long way from Delhi and the trip can be painful (because of dam construction enroute) but the valley, once you reach it, is one of the most beautiful Himalayan valleys you will see.

Banjara Camps is very well run. We enjoyed interacting with Mr. Ojha during our trip. The food is excellent.

We visited in October (start of winter) so it was quite cold in the nights. It would have been nice if the camp site had heating.

Overall, I would go again, if given a chance.

1 Thank Traveller1171
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sangla
Hotel Batseri
#2 of 11 in Chail
Kinner Camp Sangla
Kinner Camp Sangla
#2 of 11 in Sangla

Been to Banjara Camp & Retreat - Sangla Valley Camp? Share your experiences!