“Rakcham walk is a must do” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 8 things to do in Sangla
Pune
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 108 helpful votes
“Rakcham walk is a must do”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

Rakcham to Sangla trek is through the forest. This trek can be done from Sangla too but having a child it was suggested to us that perhaps the mostly downhill trek from Rakcham would be better. So we opted for that. We had a guide and took our picnic lunch with us too.

The difficulty level is not much although there are ascents in the trek too ..... so some huffing and puffing is called for if you are not in shape !!! :) The route is extremely beautiful so can take plenty of snaps.

We started from the fields of Rakcham which were covered with pink flowers - it seems these are a type of grain like barley and wheat. We moved into the forest which then unexpectedly opens out into a grassy meadow. A couple of stream crossings are also there on the way ! :)

Moving along we can see the fast flowing Baspa from a good vantage point. Picnic in the shady tress and then the trek takes us along some apricot trees closer to the Batseri village.

We checked out the small monastery in Batseri village where some village girls found it funny that I felt the apple orchards were beautiful !! :)

Visited December 2011
2 Thank Vdy B

manali
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Beautiful village”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2012

Rakcham is the last village before Chitkul. You can enjoy the nature at its best. A samll monestry can be visited

Visited October 2011
1 Thank yatramanali
Mumbai
84 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 326 helpful votes
“The hidden Paradise of Nature”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2012

Rakcham is a very small remote village in district Sangla in Himachal Pradesh State of North India.It is located between Sangla town and village Chitkul of Sangla valley,in Himachal Pradesh It is located at 3000 Mtr altitude,at the bank of hilly river Bapsa. The region is known as " Kinnaur " and the inhabitants of the region are called " Kinnuri ". They have their own local dialect ,dressing pattern , culture and life style. The entire Kinnaur region comes under Tribal Zone and due to which they enjoy special treatment/priviledges from the Himachal Prasesh State government for the upliftment of their living standard.

The occupation of Kinnuris are animal husbandry , farming, owning apple orchards , cottage Industry for woolen garments,using pure locally made woolen threads, Of course the present generation is slowly getting exposed to the developed world .

Overall ,Sangla Valley is most beautiful with virgin natural beauty, landscapes , rivers ,Snow covered mountains, waterfalls, forests. Among outstanding town/villages are " Rakcham".
" Chitkul ". " Sangla " , " Kalpa " , " Reckon peo ", " Kaza " & " Sarahan". Sarahan is known as Gareway to Kinnaur..
I had keen desire to visit Kinnaur region where not many tourist prefer to go probably due to its remote location. I wanted to go when you can enjoy snow all round, I decided to go here in March with everthing pre-planned. My first sight of village " Rakcham" was a pleasant surprise. I could not believe my eyes that I am at such a marvellous location of nature.It is natural beauty at its peak,wherever you cast your vision. Snow covered Mountains all round , lush green teak wood forest with snow still on tree branches , fresh atmosphere with deep blue skies and in the middle the frozen river Bapsa. Absolute tranquility everywhere.The only sound I could hear was chirping of birds. To be honest , to me all this scenario was as if I am looking at a genious man made painting on an exceptionally large canvas. But it was a great pleasure for me that it was "The God's Creation", a reality in front of me. I patted my back to have planned such unknown place in my travel itinerary but at the same time it was a feeling of disgust for me that I am a stranger for such beautyful location in my own country,particularly when I have visited many lovely places in many foreign lands.
In my opinion mid-march is the best time to visit " Rakcham" , to enjoy scenic beauty of the place with hotel accomodation pre-booked. Hiring a car or bigger vehicle with a good local driver, is important.
Just for people interested , average anual snowfall here is 1130mm
Temp.:-10 to 15 degree celcius
During summer time now one can enjoy Nature Igloo Camps near Sangla.
There are many Buddhist Monasteries , ancient Temples and old forts at Sangla,near Rakcham.

I would like to suppliment the description with my photographs of " Rakcham" , the hidden paradise.

Visited March 2012
7 Thank HemMumbai
Ghaziabad, India
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Picture Perfect”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2012

In between Sangla and Citkul. So if your main destination is Chitkul, worth staying here rather than in Sangla. Picture perfect village with some nice hotels. Excellent place for doing just nothing, just seat beside Rupin river and start dreaming... :-)

Visited August 2011
5 Thank Sanjib_Sarkar
Chandigarh,India
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Excellent picnic Place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2012

The pine forest, streams, view excellent picnic place.

Visited June 2012