“Vecchia Osteria-Family Food at it's Best”

Vecchia Osteria Pizzeria Bella Napoli
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Steinbach Germany
“Vecchia Osteria-Family Food at it's Best”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

A local traditional Italian Osteria. Family run with food like you would enjoy in an Italian home. The house wine was to 'die for.' The food was excellent. I had the spaghetti Bolognese which was excellent. They have a large menu with many local Tuscan favorites. Get there early, by 8 o'clock, or you will have to wait! Prices are moderate for the quality of the cuisine. Again the wine is local, bought in quanity, and is outstanding. The service is excellent and parking is no problem.

• Visited September 2012

London, England, United Kingdom
“A Nightmare”
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Like other reviewers, we have been to this restaurant under previous ownership and liked it. We tried it again last night and were bitterly disappointed. The waitress recommended seafood about which we were a bit dubious because it was so far from the sea, but we followed her recommendations and ordered pasta with shellfish as our first course and sauted clams and mixed fried seafood for our seconds. We waited for ages for the first course to arrive and then ages again for the second. After we complained to the padrone (calmly smoking and chatting with friends outside), the cook came to our table after the second course had eventually arrived to explain that she was feeling ill and that the food had taken her longer than usual to prepare. This put us off completely. Thankful none of us seems to have suffered any ill effects from eating shellfish prepared by an unwell cook (and in fairness, it did taste nice until we learnt of the cook's indisposition) but it is not an experience we are minded to repeat

• Visited August 2012
2 Thank John G
Siena, Italy
“New owners, and a radically different experience.”
Reviewed August 2, 2012

I've been a regular at this place for the last decade. Now, sadly, the previous owners have decided to abandon the business.
In the last few months I've visited the 'new' place on three occasions. Decor is still mostly the same (low-key elegant, but I suspect this will change) although a big-screen tv has appeared in the outdoor patio. The new owners are from Napoli, and the cuisine reflects that. We're talking fresh seafood.
There hasn't been much of a menu - rather, you get an assortment of antipasti (starters). By the time you've finished them, you probably won't be ordering anything else. Some examples are octopus salad, clams, baby octopus in a tomato sauce, clams and beans, anchovies, salmon, and so forth. Tuscany isn't really known for seafood, and it's generally fairly expensive, so this is a nice addition to the assortment of restaurants in the Siena area (you need a car to get here, or, in the day, by bus).
Quality of the food is, overall, very good. Desserts are, perhaps, somewhat underwhelming. Presentation is simple but adequate. While I haven't tried, I doubt much English is spoken. Admittedly, the restaurant is in transition. The casual elegance of the place doesn't quite correspond to the simplicity and straightforwardness in the new cuisine. Service is cordial, relaxed, and more trattoria-style.
It is still somewhat early to say which way this will go. So far my experience has been very positive. Apparently they are also building a pizza oven. A good neapolitan pizza place would be sweet in this area. However, and having talked to the owners a bit, the focus seems a bit unclear. I seem to have understood that they want to offer good food at affordable prices. But, a little bit of everything, catering to everyone. Jack of all trades. I'm looking forward to see the rest of it, and will surely return. Worth a detour, if you're in the area.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank RobbieJey
Zurich, Switzerland
“Tasty”
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Great food, relaxed atmosphere, simple but just great, friendly and helpful staff (even delivered 45 pizzas to Villa Catignano in 40 min from ordering them!)!

Visited June 2012
1 Thank Lina T
Siena, Italy
“Dedication and love of prime ingredients”
Reviewed December 26, 2011

I'm a regular at this place. Nowadays I live around the corner, but I've known it, and visited it for the better part of 8 years. Whenever I want to eat well, I venture out in the countryside, away from Siena. La Vecchia Osteria is less than 5 min from Porta Ovile, and even if you're in a hotel in the very centre, it is well worth the short trip. The couple running the restaurant is lovely. It's a sort of family affair, which also means you might have to wait for your food. But trust me, it's worth it. We're talking a blend between Emiglia-Romagna and Tuscany, which is truly a good place to start. I'd recommend the collo di gallina (stuffed hen's neck), as a starter. As awful as it sounds, presentation is appealing, and there is nothing except pleasure in this dish. It will come across as a patè, so don't worry and just order it. In the cold season there is the salama. I'm not going into details - let's just say it is some meat and potato purè. Fantastic meat and potato! It's not all hardcore, they've got some very delicately flavoured pastas, veggies, and traditional fare that is delicious. Should you be lucky to arrive in the period when they've got the goat's cheese (caprini), absolutely go for it. They are exceptional, and, if like me, you prefer cheese over dessert, it's going to be pure pleasure. Hope you drop by at this place, they speak both French and English, and, more importantly, the language of food. Rob

• Visited December 2011