The BW Crown Hotel
Travelocity
$112
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
All reviewsleisure facilitiesswimming poolsauna and steam roomcoaching inntravelzoo deala travel zoo dealleisure clubsecure car parklovely poollovely hotelfountains abbeyevening mealafternoon teamarket townduty managerroom was largeshort break
Reviewed November 12, 2006

The Crown is a fine old inn once at the heart of the stage coach service from London to Edinburgh. Rest assured that the town has been bypassed twice so there is no through traffic now. The Crown has been modernised and updated and has a pool and a secure car park under pass code control. The small town of Boroughbridge is almost untouched by national chains and brands and there is a full range of local shops.

We chose a particularly quiet week, so there were relatively few people staying and the rates were good. However the conference rooms were busy. The location near the A1(M) makes this a good place for a conference.

The pool is excellent, about 20 metres by 10 so there is room for 4 to swim abreast. The Gym is busy between 4 to 6 pm with local members but at many times the Leisure Club is quiet.

There are 2 lounges downstairs as well as 2 bars.

Any problems we had were dealt with speedily.

We ate in the hotel twice, this was fine. We also tried local pubs, the Crown at Roecliffe was good and the Olde Punchbowl at Marton cum Grafton was OK. Both had a good pub atmosphere.

Away from the hotel we found plenty of places to visit within 15 miles such Fountains Abbey, Pately Bridge, Brimham Rocks and the Royal Horticultural Society Gardens at Harlow Carr. There are several horse race courses within easy distance. Our big trip out was to Whitby which was well worth it.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank BigDave
Reviewed November 5, 2006

Having been stuck in a traffic jam on the M1 for 2 hours, I had telephoned in advance and - having ascertained that the restaurant would be closed by the time I arrived - had ordered a sandwich to be left for my arrival.

Check in was quick and the staff very friendly. I also appreciated the gated car park, confident that my car would be safe for the night, although that said, Bororoughbridge is hardly a hotbed of activity on a Thursday night in November. My double room was rather on the small side, but well kitted out and beautifully clean. Everything that was supposed to work did.

Having had a quick spruce up I went down to the by then deserted bar area for a beer and my sandwich. This consisted on two slices of mass produced sliced bread and a chicken and bacon "mix" that one buys from any supermarket. A great shame, which indicates a strong lack of imagination in the kitchen.

Had a great nights sleep, the bed being very comfortable and my room blissfully quiet. Breakfast the next morning was nothing to get excited about.

This is a good place for road warriors like me - only five minutes from J48 of the A1M and would, I am sure be a great base from which to tour. Although not tried, the pool looked very inviting and would be of great appeal to families. I guess I would probably have enjoyed my stay if a little bit more had been going on - there were only half a dozen or so people staying - but hey, you can't win 'em all.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank AndrewDoughty
Reviewed June 18, 2006

Just spent a saturday night 17th June with my husband at this old coaching inn . Stayed DBB in a standard double, very clean & comfy, not very big, but other rooms available. Asked the receptionist for a bedroom fan, she kindly gave us the office fan as it was the last one!! (very hot & humid)
Spent a wonderful time in the pool & jaccuzzi, very smart pool area. Bar is cosy, bar staff really nice & evening meal excellent. Stayed as a family 4 years ago in a huge family room, had a great time then.
Car park locked, very secure, Boroughbridge is very pretty for a quiet break.

• Stayed: June 2006
2  Thank bikerblob
Reviewed April 9, 2006

After searching for many hours for somewhere for an impromptu stopover we happened upon this little gem. Despite being part of a franchise (Best Western) - it had a good deal of charm, with great staff.

Don't know that this is the place for a week's holiday but if you're looking for a stop over for 1 or 2 nights - or just want to escape the world for a night - this is a great place.

Food is ok - not amazing - but good enough. Breakfast was very good though.

Very clean, very comfortable, quiet and relaxing and all in all great value for money.

4  Thank RFTG
Reviewed October 13, 2005

Stayed at the Crown Hotel in September 2005 for one night and don't think I'll be staying there again.

My wife and two friends went to the hotel early on the Saturday afternoon to use the leisure facilities (pool, sauna, jacuzzi etc) and said that they were good and thats where it stopped.

The hotel is very dated and has teh feeling of an old peoples home rather than a hotel. The room was cleanish, but there were a few holes in the bed linen that were hidden and also you could see where the damp was penetraing through the wallpapaer in some areas as well as on the roof.

We all arrived back from the wedding we attended at around 10:15pm and went to the bar area to get a night cap but it was locked up, checked with reception to see if we could ge a drink or a snack and was told the bar wasn't open tonight as the hotel was only ¼ full and we could have some peanuts if we wanted a snack, top service!!

Basically only the leaisure facilites stopped me from giving this 1/5 and I would never stay there again

• Stayed: September 2005