“POOR FOOD AND SERVICE”

Best Western Crown Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Boroughbridge
Reviewed December 18, 2012

Oh dear what a terrible disapointment, this is the 2nd time we have visited the restaurant as the first time was so good, but what a big let down.First of all there was no heating on so we were both cold throughout our stay, and a cold reception was given to us by the Front of House/Waiter.It took 30mins for our starter to arrive which was Pate and Salmon Fishcake which were both very nice to eat and well presented, then it went down hill. Our main course's were ordered with our starter but we still had to wait 40mins bearing in mind there was only 1 other table with 4 people who ordered after us, and 1 table of 2 who only ordered a sandwhich.My breast of chicken came with the bone still attached,but was so well done i could hardly cut through it, the home made chunky chips were burnt to a cinder i would have broken my teeth if i had tried to eat them. My partner ordered venison with a wild mushroom and bacon jus which can only be discribed as watered down burnt gravy, and the venison it's self was so over cooked it was chewy and tasted of liver i think it had been put in a microwave oven to be re-heated as that was the only thing to be warm the jus and veg were cold.We left most of our meal and told the waiter but no reason or apology was given, we even asked him if he was doing the cooking as well as the serving as he took so long with everything, which he replied ( i might as well be ) We told him we wanted to try dessert's and wanted to order another drink but he never came back to us, we had to go looking for him after yet another 25mins just to pay our bill.We found the waiter to be ignorant and he was not bothered about what we thought of the meal it seemed like he wanted things to be bad as if he was having a go at his employers have they asked him to work over xmas and he is not happy?.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 2, 2012

We have stayed here several times but have just started reviewing. The place has real character. The staff are always friendly, helpful and a great source of local knowledge of where to go and what’s on.
The rooms we have stayed in are always comfy and cosy. We have stayed as a couple and with the kids. The gym, steam room and sauna is a great way to start or end the day, they are very clean.
Breakfast is fantastic and the restaurant/bar food all served to a very high quality.
As for the town, its got lots to offer, as has the rest of North Yorkshire.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank fussDrew
Reviewed November 7, 2012

I ate here with friends for lunch. On arriving the place was empty. My ham sandwich was dry with a cheap cut of ham. The chips were very dry with a few really hard ones thrown in- and seemed like they were covered in salt. The small serving of lettuce was drenched in a mustard dressing and some of the deep fried parsnip was soggy. The cup of tea was nice though! The toilets although look clean could do with some bleach down them as the bowls are badly stained. At £7.50 excluding the tea I think they should up their game with something as simple as a sandwich and maybe inform customers what the sandwich will be served with so we can decide whether or not we want it.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 3, 2012

Had a lovely stay with the family. We stayed in the family room which was a nice size. Quite roomy. Staff were really friendly and helpful and breakfast was ample. We were with friends and family and staff made every effort to seat us together and get us served at the same time. A really enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 3, 2012

Booked a 2 night stay here via travel zoo early november , prior to travelling I read the latest reviews and was a little worried having read vebry's review.
But now I feel its time to put facts and not assumption & supposition .
We were made welcome and the room itself was clean and a reasonable size for a standard double en suite . It was pleasantly decorated although maybe a little dated for some , the bathroom was much the same.
The gym & pool facilities were excellent and the staff very helpful.
Now to the much maligned restaurant . Even though we went all inclusive we were advised to reserve a table , this we did. The menu was varied and had a very good selection and was certainly not pub chain food ! Everything was locally sourced , fresh and cooked from scratch. ( the menu states there may be a slight wait because of this ) Over the 2 nights my partner and I tried a variety off the menu and each course exceeded expectations in appearance , taste and portion size . Breakfast was again freshly cooked and i enjoyed the locally prize winning sausages. I spoke to " lady " Helen and found her to be helpful , courteous and cheeful. She did mention a particular bad mannered guest she had encountered and gave me her version of events.
The bar was pleasantly lit and furnished , the only negative I could find was that the bar area flowed through into the restaurant and the noise travelled ! Overall I can safely say this is a very clean & welcoming hotel with friendly staff , in fact I have just booked a return visit.

Room Tip: room 40 at the rear of the hotel
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dave g
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Stayed here on a Groupon deal Dinner and B&B fro 32 nights at £99 per night, best value we have ever had on this type of deal. The hotel is lovely, full of chartacter, clean and excellently placed for exploring the wonderful county of Yorkshire. We were welcomed with a smile as wide as the county and given directions to our room, we did have slight difficulty finding room 40 but it only added to the character of the place. The room was lovely and the complimentary bottle of Cava was in the ice bucket waiting to be opened. The bathroom although small was well appointed with the usual freebies and the biggest white bath sheets I have ever seen. But bather beware, the little sign that warms of HOT WATER should not be ignored, yes the water comes out of the taps very hot almsot imediatley, no standing around waiting for clanging pipes in tghis place. We took advantage of the leisure facilities and were chatted to by many of the locals who are members, all very friendly with lots of advice and info on the area. The food cannot be faulted, my only problem was as we were only there for 2 nights, such a choice! I normally don't eat 3 courses but on the first night I seccumbed to the Vanilla Pannaccota, mmmm and on the second night I wanted cheese(3 Yorkshire cheeses so beautifully prepared and presented that even the judges on Celebrity Masterchef would be impressed) so I asked if the chef would be offended if I could just have half portions of the cheese and 3 biscuits, I felt it would be criminal to have a full portion and just pick at it. "No problem" said June the waitress, "the chef would rather do that than have lots of waste", now I call that service. All food is said to be sourced as locally as possible, but remember these are Yorkshire portions, elastic waistbands may be needed for a stay of 2 days or more. We spent a day in York taking advantage of the Park and Ride at Rawcliffe Haw as reccommened, an excellent service for £2.50 each for return tickets, and the buses run every 10 mins. Take time to have a walk round Bourough Bridge itself, there is a circular walk that can be done but we didn't do it as it was a little too wet. There are a number of places to have tea, coffee, cakes etc but also a selection of resturants if you are not eating in the hotel. So all in all I would reccommend a stay here to anyone.

Room Tip: We had room 40 which was on the side overlooking the roof of the resturant ans car park, lovely and...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SusieQ008
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Having stayed at the Bestwestern Kilima Hotel in York before the sister hotel to the Crown I thought I would give this one a go. I was not disappointed. Check in was fine but unlike the Kilima I was only told where the room was. The room itself was very clean and warm. The bed was extremely comfy and the shower had plenty of hot water.
Tea and Coffee provided in the room and the Wi-Fi worked a treat.
I only ate on one night of a two-night stay and have to say I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of the food. The Tiger Prawns for starter were very good as was the Lamb for main course. A big plus point for this hotel and indeed the Kilima is the fact that both serve a proper pint of beer.
Breakfast in the hotel was the usual fair and was quickly served with a smile and of the standard you would expect from a hotel of this star rating.
I would also recommend both Hotels for the free car parking which is something that is becoming more difficult to find.
I did not use the leisure facilities but did go and have a look for next time and they do look good.
All in all a very good stay and I would have no hesitation in recommending to others or returning myself.

Room Tip: I always seem to get a little off when I book direct with any hotel
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank watcher52
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boroughbridge
The Ripon Spa Hotel
Crowne Plaza Harrogate
#7 of 30 in Harrogate
Aldwark Manor Golf & Spa Hotel
The Angel at Topcliffe Hotel

Been to Best Western Crown Hotel? Share your experiences!