“Another good Bestwestern”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Boroughbridge
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Another good Bestwestern”
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Having stayed at the Bestwestern Kilima Hotel in York before the sister hotel to the Crown I thought I would give this one a go. I was not disappointed. Check in was fine but unlike the Kilima I was only told where the room was. The room itself was very clean and warm. The bed was extremely comfy and the shower had plenty of hot water.
Tea and Coffee provided in the room and the Wi-Fi worked a treat.
I only ate on one night of a two-night stay and have to say I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of the food. The Tiger Prawns for starter were very good as was the Lamb for main course. A big plus point for this hotel and indeed the Kilima is the fact that both serve a proper pint of beer.
Breakfast in the hotel was the usual fair and was quickly served with a smile and of the standard you would expect from a hotel of this star rating.
I would also recommend both Hotels for the free car parking which is something that is becoming more difficult to find.
I did not use the leisure facilities but did go and have a look for next time and they do look good.
All in all a very good stay and I would have no hesitation in recommending to others or returning myself.

Room Tip: I always seem to get a little off when I book direct with any hotel
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank watcher52

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Lincoln
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for a short break 12/13 Oct to visit the Yorkshire Dales and found it quite charming. The staff were very warm and welcoming and we had a delicious breakfast which set us up for a day of walking. When we came back the leisure club was a treat and I especially enjoyed the spa bath. At dinner, we had the venison steak which I understand from the waitress comes from a local butcher or farm and it was tasty. We had a comfy bed and the room was spotless. Good all round value.

cambridge
Reviewed October 15, 2012

This hotel is an old coaching inn,It is historic- a bit worn and full of character .It is cosy and comfortable but not modern or chic.The bedrooms are welcoming with superb beds and the bath towels are thick and fluffy.We had lovely food from an extensive menu but you need to watch the calorie consumption!
There is an excellent health suite where fresh towels are provided and even a bag for your wet swim gear.We enjoyed the fitness rooms and pool very much.
All the staff worked hard to help make our stay happy although I would encourage the reception staff to smile more as a good welcome make a huge impression.
This is a good spot for a weekend away and I thought the prices were acceptable for what we got ,.If modern and trendy are your style it's not for you.

Room Tip: Avoid room 80 as it is over the steam room and very hot and the bathroom fan is a bit loud.
Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for a couple of nights in what was described as an 'Executive' double and paid inflated prices for the extra 'luxury'. The reality was a travel lodge standard room with fancy wall paper on one wall. Bathroom clean but old and tired. Overall the room was probably last refurbished some years ago. The room was warm and the bed comfy but not somewhere where you would want to spend any time or relax. The pool and gym looked great but we didn't use the facilities. The restaurant and bar experience really lets this place down though. On the first night we enquired about a menu and were told we would need to book a table. The waitress didn't even want me to look at the menu to see the food in order to make a decision as to whether to eat or not. When she finally let me look we decided against it based on prices for what we knew would be basic chain pub food. We drove over to Roecliffe and had a fabulous meal there instead. On arrival back at the bar we were asked "Where did you go then?" "oooh" was the response. The bar and lounge areas again suffer from tired, dated furnishings but the worst aspect was the lighting. All lights on full pelt which meant there was no cosy atmosphere at all. God knows how much their electricity bill is....perhaos that explains the prices. Breakfast was substandard. No evidence of cold meats and pastries as advertised on the menu and my husband described his full breakfast as the worst sausage he had ever had. Gristle and bone. The next evening wasn't much better. Same bar lady Helen, walked off halfway through pouring a pint of guiness but then forgot and served several other customers. She enquired if we were eating and when we said we hadn't decided she recommended the kebab shop up the road! No attempt to sell her own restaurant. Again there was a huge fuss with other customers insisting on booking in advance and making people wait for tables in a completely deserted restaurant. I can only assume there was only one chef who couldn't cope with more than 3 tables at anyone time. Like other reviewers we weren't asked if we enjoyed our stay when we checked oit at the crack of dawn on th Sunday morning. Probably because she knew exactly what the response would be. There is so much competition that is realky so much better for this that it's annoying that Best Western are charging these prices for what really is no better than a Premier Lodge or Travel Inn. No personality, no warm welcome and apalling food. Overall a not to be repeated experience.

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank vebry
John G, Public Relations Manager at Best Western Crown Hotel, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to comment about your recent stay for which I would firstly like to apologise that you were less than satisfied.

Whilst any shortcomings are of concern, I would like to reassure you that the specific points made are being addressed where we agree there is a problem but I hope my notes to below will help to put some of your comments into perspective for you and others taking the time to read this.

The hotel accommodation has been refurbished on a rolling basis each year meaning that every bedroom is re-done every two years. Public areas are done as required and the lounge areas and reception were last decorated in 2009. The restaurant and bar were done in 2010.

There is no excuse for being dealt with in the manner you describe and I have begun an investigation with the staff on duty at the time. Where there is a need for more training or an attitude check it will be dealt with. One person’s humour may not work with another and so on… One person being less than helpful on a specific day does not mean it is always like that.

Numbers of guests dining can be a challenge if everyone arrives at once un-announced which is why bookings are requested so that we can manage the demand. All of our food is sourced locally as far as possible not from a ‘chain’ resource. Best Western is our brand but the hotel is independent.

Your observations about the breakfast quality are a surprise, especially as so many other reviewers have made such positive comments. – our butcher describes his sausages as award-winning, but we may need to challenge that with him – the batch supplied that weekend will be checked. Also, the lighting seems a moot point as we have had people comment that the hotel public areas are too dark so we have been looking at new lights to address this – perhaps at dinner ‘moodier’ lighting levels are better – again different people like different things.

Hopefully you will accept our thanks again for taking the trouble to write your comments and our apology where we agree on shortcomings.
North Yorkshire
Reviewed October 11, 2012

I held my 60th birthday party here, Our private room we was fantastic, the food superb and Emma and her staff went out of their way to make our family party a success and memorable day. I can't praise them enough. Nothing was any trouble to them. They felt me feel like a VIP on arrival and throughout the afternoon.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Baxenden
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Myself and my husband recently stayed here for 2 nights. We found the meals in the restaurant to be of a very low standard, the menu looks very good but found out that the staff in the kitchen can not cope with some of the meals on the menu. It would be better if they produced a pub style menu instead of trying to create meals beyound their capabilities. The breakfast on the first morning was very poor as some items were obviously heated up and not fresh. On the secound morning the kitchen had no electric so we could only have microwaved scambled egg on one slice of toast. We had evening meal on both nights and found it to be very bland and tasteless any meat served was overcooked. My husband notified the reception staff that there was no soap in the gents and the receptionist just laughed and said it would be sorted out in the morning when the housekeeping staff came in. The staff in both the reception and restaurant were more interested in playing about and having a laugh than taking care of the needs of clients. I would never stay here again!!!

1 Thank Alison D
John G, Manager at Best Western Crown Hotel, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
It was regrettable that at none of the courtesy checks made to your table at dinner on both evenings you felt able to mention that dinner was not to your liking, we would have happily brought you something else. The menu has been tested by all the Chefs’ and I am really disappointed that you felt it was not up to standard. To survive in a customer led industry good staff must have the right balance of training, professionalism and good humour, if the balance was unsuitable I am sorry and we will of course do our best to put this right for future guests. Thank for taking the time to post your review I thoroughly appreciate your feedback
Emma Lee / Hotel Manager
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Stayed here for a short break for my 30th - me my husband and our 2 friends. We made full use of the spa facilities, which were small but very clean and modern. The rooms were spacious, and very clean. The main highlight was the staff - very nice and efficient. The breakfast was very good too - all in all a lovely place to stay if wanting to be near york - but away from the city centre

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boroughbridge
The Old Deanery
Best Western Burn Hall Hotel
Best Western Dower House Hotel & Spa
Best Western Plus Cedar Court Hotel
Aldwark Manor Golf & Spa Hotel

Been to Best Western Crown Hotel? Share your experiences!