“We grew to love it”

Studley Castle Hotel and Conference Centre
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Studley
Reviewed July 6, 2014

Stayed here two nights and were distinctly unimpressed on arrival. Approach drive full of potholes, a very small bedroom with DIY chipboard shelving looking out onto the carpark and the kitchen extractor fans, and a ganeral air of having seen much better days. However, we got the room changed to one at the back overlooking a wide and peaceful view - literally not a house in sight - and larger bathroom, and then went down to dinner... Our food both nights was absolutely excellent (although either the chairs are very low or the tables are strangely high) - compliments to the chef! Although the whole place is sorely in need of refurbishment, the public rooms are very impressive architecturally and the view from the terrace is stunning. The staff, mainly young and somewhat untrained, do their best and are very friendly and helpful, which makes up for a multitude of sins. The whole place feels slightly surreal and a bit like something out of a novel... With money spent on it, it could be utterly fabulous but then of course we would be paying a lot more, as another reviewer has stated. There ARE things that could be done that do not require money, such as removing that unsightly skip full of rubbish in the grounds to a more discreet spot - these things really jar when walking through potentially lovely arboretum-style grounds with impressive trees and lovely wild flowers woven into the grass. Attention to detail does not cost money. The place was generally clean but we had stained crockery in the bedroom and cobwebs behind the chipboard shelving. BUT... Our bed was SO comfortable, it was so quiet and the view tremendous, and those evening meals so yummy, and we loved the general atmosphere, so I am actually giving it 4 stars for what we paid. Yes, we would return (but fingers crossed the chef would still be there...). Such a lovely area...
Well done to all the staff!

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the terrace and views at the back - we changed ours to 207
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Mark S, General Manager at Studley Castle Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2014

We are so happy to know that the team here at DeVere Studley Castle was able to ensure you had an overall nice time with us. Thank you for your review. I will be sure to discuss this feedback with team here and I will of course discuss your comments in great detail and I would also like to apologise for the potholes, I will do my very best to make it better on your next visit and thank you for the comments regarding the food being yummy.....

Reviewed July 6, 2014

Well let's just say booking my wedding 19 months in advance and having 3 wedding co-ordinators each telling me different things and prices I was to say the least a bit apprehensive, but on meeting our saviour Sandy the new wedding co ordinator what can I say but amazing,sandy was professional a wealth of knowledge available 24/7 and her attention to detail was just incredible,the day of the wedding Sandy and her team Amy and Lee was available at all times, the day before sandy and lee was there until early hours in the morning ensuring everything was perfect and the way I wanted it no task was to big for them they are just amazing people, some people way say it's their job but they went above and beyond my expectations for everything I honestly can not thank you guys enough you did a amazing job our guest thoroughly enjoyed everything and so did we, sandy you made our day so special and I don't no what we would of done if you didn't turn up when you did I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone. Thanks again from the bottom of our hearts Siobhan and Matthew xx

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family

We are so happy to know that the amazing team at DeVere Studley Castle were able to create amazing memorable experiences for you our guest. Thank you for your review. I will be sure to discuss this wonderful feedback with team. We look forward to welcoming you back for another truly amazing experience.

Reviewed July 6, 2014

The grand urge has long left Studley Castle, with broken chairs in the bar and a skip in the garden with old toilets and rotting food. The rooms were very basic and in need of decorating. I suppose you get what you pay for - and if it hadn't have been more than £50 for the night I would give it two stars.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

We are so sorry to read that we did not meet your expectations during your stay. This is certainly not our standard. If you are ever in the area in the future please contact me direct and I will do my very best to look after you Thank you mstarkey@studleycastle.com

Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

Yes this hotel is tired in places but if you treat it as a real alternative to the usual budget hotels then its fine.

For £40 for b&b its absolutely fine and an impressive setting. It needs work in areas but I'm sure over time De Vere will do this but then it will be twice or three times as much to stay there.

The day manager today was excellent and very friendly.

Take it for what it is and stay in a "castle" for 40quid while you can!!

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank leejohnward

We are so happy to know that the team at DeVere Studley Castle were able to create good experiences for you our guest. Thank you for your review I will of course discuss your feedback with the team here at the Hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back for good experience.

Reviewed July 3, 2014

Thank you for a lovely stay. room was perfect staff were very friendly and really helpful with everything. Will definately come back to studley in the near future
Mr and Mrs Lisle

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Mark S, General Manager at Studley Castle Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2014

Dear M/M Lisle, We are so happy to know that the amazing team at DeVere Studley Castle were able to create amazing memorable experiences for you our guest. Thank you for your review. I will be sure to discuss this wonderful feedback with team. We look forward to welcoming you back for another truly amazing experience and thank you for giving us a second chance

Reviewed July 3, 2014

We have stayed here once before when it was owned by Best Western,i believe the changes that have been made are in the bedrooms,
Our room was clean, and the bed was two put together very comfortable good size room, lovely view from all the windows( room 201) I did wash my hair during our stay then realise no hair-dryer in the room, next time i will bring one.
The breakfast was included in the price, which we like, no surprises when paying at the end of your stay,. we ate breakfast in the dinning room ,a waitress brought coffee to us,breakfast is then self service, only one toaster a second one would be ideal at busy breakfast. We found the atmosphere very relaxing , staff where very pleasant.The manager came across as a very happy chap, we will stay here again ,and hopefully the pot holes will have all been repaired that was the only negative for us.,

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Mark S, General Manager at Studley Castle Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2014

We are so happy to know that the team here at DeVere Studley Castle was able to ensure you had an overall nice time with us. Thank you for your review. I will be sure to discuss this feedback with team here and I will of course discuss your comments in great detail and I would also like to apologise for the drive and I would like to also say when you do return please let me know in advance and I will ensure there is a hair-dryer in your room

Reviewed June 30, 2014

booked this hotel on a discount, so didn't go with high expectations. Building appealed to my daughter, as a castle, and the lounge with its super decor added to the atmosphere. Our room was at the back of the hotel (understandable, as a discount room) above the kitchens, but even so was nicely appointed (just the lamp didn't work) and the bathroom was huge and lovely. The staff were really pleasant and attentive; the receptionist even guided me in on the phone when I got to Studley village and couldn't locate where to turn off. We ate in the bar and sadly the food was more miss than hit. The next morning it took us half an hour rather than 20 minutes to get to stratford upon avon (the latter had been advertised on the discount website), but that is a small quibble - great to get a budget room which was really homely overall, in stunning grounds and a characterful building, all within reasonable distance of stratford.

Room Tip: check that dishes are actually being served before ordering from menu and then waiting!
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Louise G
Mark S, General Manager at Studley Castle Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2014

We are so happy to know that the team here at DeVere Studley Castle was able to ensure you had an overall nice time with us. Thank you for your review. I will be sure to discuss this feedback with team here and I will of course discuss your comments in great detail and I would also like to apologise for the food being more miss than hit.
Thank you mstarkey@studleycastle.com

Also consider these accommodations in or near Studley
The Southcrest Manor Hotel
#3 of 3 in Alcester
Billesley Manor Hotel
Billesley Manor Hotel
#14 of 28 in Stratford-upon-Avon

Been to Studley Castle Hotel and Conference Centre? Share your experiences!