“Fantastic Overnight Stay”

Studley Castle Hotel and Conference Centre
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Studley
Reviewed January 23, 2014

We stayed here for a Sunday Night deal, where the price is much reduced, obviously this makes it much better value for money.

The building is very impressive from the outside, and the grounds are pleasing on the eye. Inside there are three main common areas, the dining room, the bar, and an impressive ornate lounge. All have functioning fireplaces. There is a terrace outside the bar, I can imagine it is an ideal spot to drink a glass of wine in warm weather.

Our room was in the newer section, and was nice enough, especially the large bathroom.

Unfortunately the bar does not sell any quality beer, so we decided to pop into the village. It is about a 20 minute walk, and has a great selection of pubs.

It seems that some of the reviews have been quite critical of late, however, if you are looking for a nice place to relax, and are able to get a decent price, then this place fits the bill nicely.

Room Tip: It seems that the newer section is the better option until the renovations on the older part are fin...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Steven S, General Manager at Studley Castle Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2014

Dear WHDavies,

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave your kind review on Tripadvisor. Your kind comments are very much appreciated. The team here at the castle will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

I hope to welcome you back again very soon.

Reviewed January 20, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I had a wonderful stay Sunday to Monday! Our room was lovely and the castle is gorgeous! We had a beautiful 3course dinner in the dining room and great breakfast the next morning. Definitely worth a visit!

We will definitely go back!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Amwoz,

Thank you very much for your kind review. It is much appreciated and I can assure you that the rest of the team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Reviewed January 19, 2014

The drive up to the castle is magnificent.
Check in was trouble free but when we entered our room we found that we had been given a small twin bedded room rather than a double. A phone call to reception immediately rectified this and we were given a double room in the old East wing - which we later found out was reputed to be haunted but we had no paranormal encounters during our two night stay!
We did find that the staff were very friendly and helpful and we must give a special mention to duty manager Matt who not only seemed to be on duty all the time but went over and above the call of duty in all matters to make our stay enjoyable.

The food in the restaurant was fantastic. It was beautifully cooked and presented and the ambiance of the dining room was great. The breakfast next morning was very good but the service terrible. There were two young waitresses just standing around who never came to clear cereal bowls etc and in the end we had to ask if they could clear space for us. We felt that this was down to lack of training on the hotel's part.
We were hoping that now De Vere have the castle some major improvements will be made with rooms brought up to their standard but they appear to be turning it mainly into a conference centre and will probably only do the most basic upgrade which probably won’t include that lovely garden which has been sorely neglected.
Having said all this our visit was an enjoyable experience and would certainly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: For atmosphere request a room in the old part of the castle.

Dear JandM6566 ,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your kind review on Tripadvisor. Your feedback is much appreciated and I can assure you that my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Best wishes

Reviewed January 19, 2014

Visited this hotel for special birthday surprise for my partner , well certainly a surprise as a De-vere hotel , condition and state of the furnishing old tired and in the need of major repair, hotel needs and good deep clean, the room we were allocated had a strange smell and was totally unsuitable, then transferred to room 6 , much better room however bathroom covered in mould above in the ceilings and the tiles cracked floor tiling , no heating when advised hotel told could not repair as no maintenance on call but could move to yet again another room .... Declined as had enough of being moved and was staying for only for one night thank god, small heater sent to the room , bar food 80% not available as excuse changing the menu !!!! Totally unacceptable , please do not stay at this hotel , will be posting the pictures we have taken on social media site for all to see this sad affair called a hotel and what the De- vere group are offering , I am not one to complain but would not like others to have the poor experience we had, however on a positive note the reception and other staff were very good and helpful but sadly could only keep apologising for what they were having to provide for guests. Will be writing to Andrew Coppell the CEO with also attachment pictures to view

Room Tip: Keep away until the De- vere group making investment
3  Thank Steve B

Dear Steve B,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to leave your comments on Tripadvisor. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion.

We take all feedback received at the castle very seriously indeed. Please be assured that we are fully committed to delivering an outstanding guest experience here at Studley Castle. I am disappointed that we did not meet expectations.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity to restore some faith back in our property sometime in the future.

Kind regards

Reviewed January 17, 2014

We went here on an extremely cheap one night deal from Travelzoo, including 3 course dinner and breakfast for £79 for two people! For what we paid it was an absolute steal and we had a lovely time. However if I had paid full price I think I would have felt a bit differently mainly due to the ridiculous length of time it took to get our food at dinner in the restaurant. This was a shame as it spoilt it a bit. The staff on the reception desk were brilliant (different ladies on entry and exit - both clearly experienced hotel staff striving to make a good impression). The other staff in the hotel seemed to be all sweet, smiley and kind but just not very well trained.

The castle itself is amazing. The communal rooms - dining room/sitting areas were beautiful with roaring log fires. The lady on the reception desk was welcoming and provided a very high level of service, telling us about and arranging for us to use the sauna, which we did not know they had. Finding keys for their lockers was a bit of a kerfuffle (there is no safe in the rooms) and the changing rooms had left over towels in them and were a little grubby. The staff when finding the locker keys could have thought to clean the towels up but seemed to see nothing amiss. We enjoyed the sauna itself which seemed quite new and was very nice inside.

The castle is set in amazing grounds and the view of the building coming in the driveway was very impressive. The bedrooms are in a wing that is an ordinary brick built affair kind of glued on to the beautiful castle. It gives the feel that it has previously been something like an old hospital and when we asked found it had been student accommodation before. The bedrooms were adequate - not huge but fine - just all a bit old and tired. Nice big bathroom. A fix up/lick of paint/refurb could make them amazing. The bed was ok for one night - I don't think it would have been very comfortable for a weeks stay.

The food was actually really good! The menu choice at dinner was quite small but we liked it all. The starter was fine but then I think we waited half an hour for our main courses. They were very nice when we got them. We then waited 40 minutes for our desserts which was ridiculous - they were a bit of cake and a brownie slice so not time consuming! The staff in the restaurant seemed very unaware that we were the last people in the restaurant because of this... we had to ask its whereabouts a few times and they just kept smiling sweetly... On the basis that it was such a cheap deal and we didn't have to be anywhere else we took it in our stride but did end up a bit grumpy. Shame as the food was really nice. They waiting staff could do with some management/training - other minor points were my drink glass was dirty and I had to ask for a clean one, one waitress took my plate while I was finishing my last mouthful... - minor points though and could be so easily improved with some training.

Breakfast was very good - pleasantly surprised by the lovely buffet - lots of nice hot food/choice/presentation good. Especially considering its a small place. Impressed!

On leaving we had a chat with the desk lady about our feedback and she was keen to hear it and very receptive. She mentioned that they are lacking a restaurant manager at the moment and that they are aware this place has a bit of work to do to ensure it is of a De Vere hotel standard. I'm sure that it will get there and then we wouldn't be getting such a cheap deal. They have also started doing weddings and it would be an amazing wedding venue.

I would come back here again if there was another cheap deal like this one. We really enjoyed it. It would need the points that I have mentioned attended to warrant paying lots to come here though.

1  Thank Sam D

Dear Sam D,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review on Tripadvisor .Your feedback is much appreciated. Please be assured we are taking appropriate action to ensure that all of our guest’s expectations are met and that all of our visitors receive the level of service that they would expect whether it is for business or leisure.

I do hope to welcome you back in the future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed January 17, 2014

Stayed at Studley Castle expecting the worst after reading the reviews, however was pleasantly surprised.

The hotel was extremely welcoming, both in terms of atmosphere and customer service.

Room was cleaned to a good standard and the decor was as you would expect for a hotel of this standard and price.

Bar area was extremely relaxing with roaring log fire and a good selection of beverages.

Evening meal was okay - a limited menu which did seem a little over priced at £16 for a main meal. However Studley is only a few minutes away by car, so it's easy to go out and find better choice.

The bed was a good size, however the springs did poke through, but nowhere near enough to prevent a solid nights sleep.

Overall an okay hotel which was reasonably priced with breakfast.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business

Dear PRG86

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review on Tripadvisor. It is much appreciated and I can assure you that my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed January 16, 2014

It would appear my first review was a bit too strong and tripadvisor asked me to amend it, so I'll keep this one simple, Cold Communal Areas (Bar & Restaurant) dreadful service in the restaurant. Advertised facilities were not available (Mountain Bikes). Room had a problem with mould and 3 of the four radiators did not work. What a shame because the Castle could be a wonderful place to stay. But for the moment stay away and take heed of the other December 2013 reviews on this site. Like I have stated gutted to have to write a poor review because it could be really good at Studley Castle.

Room Tip: Turret Room views good but a bit chilly
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TheRQMS

Dear theRQMS

I would like to take this opportunity and thank you for taking the time to leave your constructive comments on Tripadvisor. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion.

I would like to assure you that we take all feedback received at the castle very seriously indeed. We are fully committed to delivering an outstanding guest experience here at Studley Castle. I do hope that we will have the opportunity to restore some faith back in our team and our property sometime in the future.

Kind regards
Steven

Also consider these accommodations in or near Studley
Kings Court Hotel
#2 of 3 in Alcester
The Oak Hotel
The Oak Hotel
#2 of 2 in Hockley Heath

Been to Studley Castle Hotel and Conference Centre? Share your experiences!