“Fine for a short break”

Studley Castle Hotel and Conference Centre
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Studley
Reviewed September 10, 2013

The castle is an interesting and attractive building so it's a shame it has a large extension (probably added many years ago) that is ugly and no way in keeping with the castle.
The dining room, lounge and hallway are lovely, being in a castle style. The staff were helpful and breakfast was good (fry-up, toast, etc). We were very happy with the room we were in as it was spacious and clean. A walk around the grounds is ok if a little unsightly in places. But to be fair, they were having building work done. The view from the back of the castle is nice if you ignore the extension. We'd stay there again as it was a convenient but quiet place for visiting surrounding places (Barber Institute, Botanical Gardens, Evesham, etc).

Room Tip: Rooms looking away from the building work are nicer if you want a decent view.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank H B
steven s, General Manager at Studley Castle Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2013

Dear H B,

Thanks for your review. I am glad you had a good stay with us. See you on your next trip hopefully!

Reviewed September 9, 2013

We arrived at the hotel after booking very late that afternoon for a nights stay. There was not many staff around at 1930 hrs and we eventually found a very nice receptionist who gave us room 2 a deluxe room which we had booked for £59.00. On arriving at our room we could see on route that the hotel needed decorating and refurbishment. The room and bathroom were large with a super king bed which we thought would be nice until we sat on it and found it creaked and squeaked ! There was a bar menu and evening meals in the restaurant but we decided to drive to the Harvester down the road as it was cheaper. The room seemed clean but was cold and we had to get a blanket out of the wardrobe which also creaked too. Once this hotel is renovated it will be a lovely place to stay but it is grade 2 listed so this may take some time, who knows? Please changed the bed and mattress in room 2 straight away it was not good and uncomfortable too. I think it will be £150 a night when they have done all the refurbishments at the hotel.

Room Tip: Room 2 has a terrible bed although it was big in size
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank mandyhall1966
steven s, General Manager at Studley Castle Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2013

Dear mandyhall1966,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to Studley Castle.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and we have noted your comments about decor of the hotel and bedrooms for which we have plans in place where we will be updating some decor in coming months.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

I was really glad I booked a 3 night stay here, what a lovely view as I drove up to the main entrance, the staff were very friendly and the dinner in the grand dining hall overlooking the garden was very nice. There is even a very large lounge for guests to relax in too.

The room had high ceilings and a nice view and was clean, because the walls are so thick it was quiet.

The only weird thing I noticed were the 50's style doors leading up to the rooms, change these and you would add to the experience.

This was well worth the booking

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank DibDibbler
steven s, General Manager at Studley Castle Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Dear DibDibbler,

Thank you very much for your kind review. It is much appreciated and I can assure you that my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

Where do I start... The hotel is filthy! Cobwebs hanging from the ceilings, stained carpets, bathrooms in need of serious repairs. Hallways have a smell and the carpets are very loose and not secure. Ceilings with tiles that are water stained and most likely with mold! Rooms are just as bad housekeeping is lacking very much. Short staffed and in the lounge which opened at noon you could never find anyone working except for one person one evening who was very nice.... Tom! Breakfast is horrible and the coffee bitter and with no flavor at all except colored water! Outside in serious need of repairs and a good groundskeeper. Staff seemed uninterested in caring for the guest in the evening. One evening an alarm was going off and when calling to reception NO ONE answered the phone for over 15 minutes. The reason they were checking someone in! If there was a true emergency help could not of been called. The response from the front desk was sorry I was checking someone in!!! Only one person in the evening to answer guest calls. It seemed that when you asked for assistance in the lounge it was a bother even though there was a group of guests in there needing assistance with drinks. Food leaves at lot to be desired and even the Chicken Cesar salad was horrible. Chicken tough and the greens very wilted. Rooms are extremely hot and no air circulation and with the smell not very enjoyable. No hair dryer or toiletries provided and the towels were worn out!! The hotel seems more like a worn out state run facility in the 1700's. it was not a country retreat and only deserves one star since there was running water if that. The cobwebs and filth as well as the lack of housekeeping or pride was not acceptable! Could not eat breakfast even though included due to the filth issue and the taste. Even though there was a group of residents staying there discussing the hotel and lack of cleanliness the one manager seemed uninterested in all of our concerns. I must say the daytime front reception women with blonde hair was very lovely and could not due enough for you! Another cause for concern is that if you use a credit card to settle your bill you are charged a service fee which you are not told about on checkin although they asked you for one at checkin for incidentals! Beware of this hotel! I am sure there are much nicer ones in the area! If we were not prepaid and in a non refundable situation we would of changed hotels immediately upon seeing it! Definitely not somewhere you should stay.

• Stayed: September 2013
8  Thank mapeterson25

Dear mapeterson25,

I am really sorry to hear that your stay was not up to expectations. We would like to discuss this with you in person. Please could you contact my operations manager Harpreet on hsaluja@studleycastle.com

Reviewed September 4, 2013

We visited studley castle hotel for a cheeky overnight stay at bank holiday.
What a wonderful little find...great staff great place wonderful views can't wait to visit again..in fact will be tempting my daughter to get married there :-)

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Leah E,

I look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

Lovely looking hotel in spectacular grounds, parts of the inside were tired and needed a lick of paint. Staff overworked and spread to thinly to even man the bar on a very sunny day.
Our room still had the previous occupants clothes in the wardrobe, I assume they're still there as nobody phoned us.
Overall I might stay there again if in the area but it's doubtful.

Room Tip: Pick a room in the main hotel, a low number if possible they're a lot nicer.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Ali1967Deeside
steven s, General Manager at Studley Castle Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2013

Dear Ali1967Deeside,

I am sorry that on this occasion that you were disappointed with your stay. I treat all feedback with the utmost seriousness and I am currently investigating this matter. Please feel free to contact my Operations Manager on hsaluja@studleycastle.com to discuss this further.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

This does not deserve one star! I booked via the phone and had had no email confirmation although the girl promised me that she would send one to me. I had to phone again to confirm that I WAS ACTUALLY BOOKED IN. Then they gave me a double room for me and my 18 year old son! I went to the reception and the woman said it was not a problem and switched me to another bedroom. It transpired that it was a disabled room. I could not believe that she had not the decency to tell me before the switch. I felt like crying. And the woman told me that there WAS NO OTHER TWIN ROOM! The shower patch was flooded during my short shower. I had to wash my feet with slippers on to make sure there was no unpleasant residue! There was no bath/shampoo gel into the unit. I turned up the lid to reveal an empty sac! IThe place looks filthy and looks more like Victorian prison than a hotel, not to say a castle. I am typing this out here as I am too angry for words!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank AgnesandDaniel P

Dear AgnesandDaniel P,

I am really sorry to hear that your stay was not up to expectations. We would like to discuss this with you in person. Please could you contact my Operations Manager Harpreet on hsaluja@studleycastle.com

Steve

Also consider these accommodations in or near Studley
Kings Court Hotel
#2 of 3 in Alcester
The Oak Hotel
The Oak Hotel
#2 of 2 in Hockley Heath

Been to Studley Castle Hotel and Conference Centre? Share your experiences!