“Good choice - very satisfied”

Holiday Inn Ashford North A20
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Hothfield
Reviewed October 26, 2008

We were looking for a good hotel for the night when we returned from our European holiday, and as we had not stayed in hotels in this area for some time, we checked on Trip Advisor, and were not impressed with what we read about surrounding places

On arrival we were pleased with the welcome from the receptionists, who were helpful and smiling despite being very busy. They even checked if we could get a booking for dinner without being asked! Our room was just what you expect from a Premier Inn but nothing wrong with that.

The Beefeater restaurant was packed and it was a case of eating in the bar or waiting until late, so we took our chance, and found the last table in the bar. Considering the way the place was packed, we were surprised how quickly our meals arrived, and the staff were cheerful and pleasant despite the crush.

All in all, no complaints at all. The hotel did exactly what we expected - and we would definitely use it again.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Brenda F
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Ashford North A20

Reviewed July 4, 2008

This hotel is very conveniently placed for the Eurotunnel, M20 and as a base for exploring Kent (although finding your way by car around Ashford itself can be tricky). As mentioned in other reviews, the hotel has been recently refurbished with a more contemporary decor, new furniture and a flatscreen TV (ours worked fine). Checking in was straightforward and we were pleased with our good sized, clean and quiet room at the back of the hotel - couldn't hear any road noise from either the the A20 outside or the M20 nearby. What let the hotel down was the chaotic service. Most of the restaurant staff appeared to be in the early stages of their training - very pleasant but seemingly without a clue as to what they should be doing. Tea or coffee could arrive in 2 minutes or 15 with no apparent reason for the delay and the milk could come with it or 5 minutes later. The tables may or may not be set with condiments, jams etc. The restaurant itself was clean and bright, breakfast was the usual HI selection with fried or poached eggs ordered separately (the poached eggs were awful). Evening meals could be taken in the hotel itself or a pub restaurant across the car park both offering a special deal for Priority Club members. We ate at the pub restaurant which although didn't have much of an atmosphere had a reasonably priced menu including 'cook your own' steaks/chicken. When we checked out, the room rate for our last two days was wrong but corrected fairly quickly. Overall, once the staff are properly trained this hotel could be really good.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lazyjanie
Reviewed June 3, 2008

Booked a room with 2 double beds and got one with 1 double and 2 twin beds. The air conditioning worked but only as a fan - the air blown out was at the same temperature as the air in the room. Thankfully, opening the window cooled the room enough at the start of April. The beds were comfortable and the room was very spacious, though.

Got a very good deal in the pub restaurant at the other side of the car park (something like half price main courses if ordered before 6:30pm, which we did .... just). There was also a special offer for Priority Club customers and so we got that as well.

Breakfast was chaotic as there was a coachload in the breakfast room. As we went up to get the cooked breakfast, they cleared our table and seemed surprised when I asked them to replace the tea. By 8:30am, the newspapers hadn't arrived. As I checked out another guest was complaining about poor reception on the television - the receptionist explained that some rewiring was due to take place, which would address this.

The room and breakfast rate was only £49, so overall the stay represented good value for money, but they do need to sort out the aircon, the television and the breakfasts.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank Hampshire-resident
Reviewed December 15, 2007

At last, a Holiday Inn that's refurbished. Also the most spacious hotel room I've ever had!
However, some problems such as a TV with a snow-storm effect, a toilet not cleaned properly and a non-smoking room that stank of smoke.
I increasingly believe, through their bad management, Holidays Inns are moving downmarket - a shame.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank CriticInEngland
Reviewed November 24, 2007

Decided to stay in this hotel due to it's proximity to the Eurotunnel and M20. I booked on the Holiday Inn website and managed to get a rate of £68.50 B+B which I didn't think was too bad. Check-in was a breeze as I am in the Priority club and I received the non-smoking room I had booked. Problem was somebody had been smoking in it. (I hope the hotel fines them!). The reception staff very quickly swapped me to another room, which was really nice. I had a room at the back of the hotel, which was really quiet.

The room was quite hot when I arrived, and the ventilation struggled to cool it down, but 10 mins with the window open in November sorted that out! The room then remained at a nice temperature.

The room was very clean and the furnishings were quite new, with a nice LCD TV to watch and a good size desk if you want to work.

The bar area was relaxed, if not a little pricy (£3.10 for a pint of lager). I didn't eat in the hotel, although they did seem to have some offers on food in the bar. I did see some of the food being served and it looked quite nice.

I ate at the Beefeater, which is about 10 mins walk down the road, which I thought would be cheaper and equally good. The tables there are really cramped and I was placed in a corner table as I was on my own. The table had a spotlight above my head and I felt like I was on display as the token 'billy table for one'. The food was undercooked and not as cheap as I thought it would be. A steak and chips and a beer came to £21.

Back at the hotel, the bed was of the usual excellent quality you expect from Holiday Inn and overall I had a comfortable night. The only disturbances I had were the usual door slamming guests either arriving late or going out early (why do they always have to slam the doors?)

I would recommend this hotel to anybody wanting a relaxing stay in a large comfortable room

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed October 3, 2007

This hotel was chosen because of its proximity to, and easy access for the Euro Tunnel.
The Holiday Inn is a typical chain hotel. The rooms are of a reasonable size, clean and comfortable. The bathroom is fine except for soap etc delivered from those horrible squeezy dispensers which never seem to be where you want them. I happen to like a limited but nice selection of toiletries. The hotel also provides distasteful plastic, disposable beakers as opposed to glass ones. I cannot understand why hotels request that you help protect the environment by re-using towels whilst they turn a blind eye to the amount of waste plastic they create.
The staff at the hotel were most helpful and a peculiar request to the bar staff was cheerfully fulfilled.
Access to the hotel is easy and the car park is large. However, the hotel is quite near to a motorway and you do notice the noise if the room`s window is open.
The only meal taken was breakfast which was fine as long as you stay away from the hot items. Do you really want to eat soggy scrabbled eggs, bacon swimming in fat and sausages of questionable content?
In summary, this hotel is perfectly acceptable for a night`s stay for a reasonable price.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 21, 2007

Usinbg my Garmin GPS made it easy to find. A little far from Ashford (ten minutes drive into town). Quiet street and room.
We booked the family room for three at 78 pounds per night. Large, comfortable beds, clean sheets, full set of towels, friendly desk staff, good insulated sound walls between rooms, has air conditioning and adjustable fan, hair dryer, good plumbing and large bathroom.

Minuses:
No small refrigerator, not enough drawers and hangers, no computer connection, but has free computer available in lobby, single sink in bathroom, limited tv channels, expensive buffet breakfast, hallway ice machine out of order, and no place to hang laundry.

3.9 miles outside of Ashford. Not to much a problem though.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hothfield
Holiday Inn Ashford - Central
Premier Inn Ashford (Eureka Leisure Park) Hotel
Travelodge Ashford
Travelodge Ashford
#6 of 8 in Ashford

Been to Holiday Inn Ashford North A20? Share your experiences!