“Great Renunion”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Wick
Waterford
“Great Renunion”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

We have just returned from a four day break which included an RAF reunion. Our party have been having regular reunions since 1987 at venues from St Andrews to Torquay and this was the best. The staff were all pleasant and welcoming. The rooms were excellent. Our room was room 3. It was warm, clean and the internet was excellent. We had dinners on Friday and Saturday, and on both occasions the food was good, as was the service. The rate we were charged was also very reasonable. I would definitely recommend this hotel and find some of the criticism hard to believe, particularly those who were there at same time as us.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
TP_Management, Public Relations Manager at Tracy Park Golf & Country Hotel, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
Hi Richard,

I'm writing to offer you our sincere thanks for taking the time to write a review in light of your stay with us.

Over the last six months Tracy Park has undertaken a huge overhaul of its processes, costings and services available and whilst we have more developments in place for 2014 we are so grateful that our hard work is resulting in such complimentary feedback!

We welcome any further suggestions you may have and we hope you'll consider us again in 2014!

Many Kind Regards

Matthew Wofinden
Head of Marketing

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 20, 2013

After reading poor reviews, I visited Tracy Park on 12 October to check the facts before making a 'stay and play' reservation for 36 guests. I had been particularly concerned to see the Food Standards Agency grading of 1 star (out of possible 5) awarded on 12 Sep 13. Sadly, reviews written by other Tripadvisor reviewers are entirely accurate: the hotel staff are warm and friendly, but they are overstretched and there is absolutely no management supervision or coordination to ensure 1st class service. The golf pro shop team were keen and enthusiastic, but were clearly unsupported by the hotel's management team. I did not stay at the hotel on this occasion because I was not impressed to hear that I could not eat in the restaurant because the staff could not offer me a table reservation. The great shame is that this is a really good looking golf and country hotel, in an excellent location, but I could not recommend this hotel to my tour party. We will go elsewhere for our golf trip.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the "Carraiges" wing. It is newly refurbished and well appointed.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Jo B
London
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Great location and room, however, on arrival the bath was NOT cleaned, room heating not working and internet not working, after reporting the problems, nothing was rectified before I left even though repairs were promised. Housekeeping did not answer phone so spent the night shivering in bed. The evening restaurant was good, but we felt 'rushed' by the waiters as if they wanted us out to 'close up' for the night. The buffet breakfast was good but the flasks of tea and coffee were cold. In summary: Great rooms. Great location let down by poor staff and management...

Room Tip: Would be a great room if everything in it worked,
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Philip C
UK
Reviewed October 11, 2013

I too was at the same event as the one written on 21st July below. I completely endorse what was said. I had not received my main course before others had finished. One member of our table waited until my food had been brought - consequently his meal was cold when he consumed it. The waiter that brought my meal did not tell me it wasn't what I ordered - I ordered lamb and he gave me vegetarian and was not going to mention it until I raised it with him. Finally, when discussing this shambolic state of affairs in the bar, the person behind the bar interjected and effectively said it was the fault of the organisation that had made the booking for not linking food orders to a particular place setting. Surely if this was likely to be a problem, why wasn't it raised with aforementioned organisation. Essentially, what seemed to be happening is that the kitchen had ordered the wrong amounts of food and both the kitchen and waiters were understaffed. Overall, quite a let down for the 5 or so staff for whom this was meant to be their retirement celebratory meal.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Marinfullsuss
ashdown forest
Reviewed October 2, 2013

As at late September it's not worth even playing the Crown course - I have been on fairways that are better than the greens there. The Cromwell is a bit better. It's almost as if the entire management of the hotel has left and gone to work elsewhere leaving a group of perfectly decent employees doing their best to keep the place afloat. Enjoyed the London Pride until it ran out. Enjoyed the Doombar until it ran out. Do they buy their beer a dozen bottles at a time? Food ordering at the spike bar was chaotic - I heard one employee say to another it's not worth calling the kitchen they don't pick up. That sums it up. The golfer's package means you get the golfers menu - 4 choices of starter main and dessert but unbelievably the Sunday and Monday menu is the same. As a vegetarian with one option only I faced the same meal two nights running - some of our group had to do this - I persuaded the staff to let me have something off the Tuesday menu. Our room was very small but ok. The main building is magnificent but if anything summed up the running of the hotel without being in words it is the art adorning the walls. It's rather like what you would get if you were providing a local primary school with some painting by number kits of some well known pictures and displaying their worst efforts. Truly appalling. It could be so much better, there is so much potential in the place.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank john t
Ontario's Highlands, Canada
Reviewed September 28, 2013

Stayed on a Thursday night in room 2....converted Mew I believe. Understand part of the main building had been a converted Masonic Temple which is now used as the dinning area. The history here goes back 100s of years. Awesome buildings and property. Part of which is a golf course. Staff was a bid flustered when we arrived as a wedding was due to start. After the wedding the staff was welcoming and helpful. Good breakfast. Paid in mid 90s pounds for unique room and fascinating grounds. Lots of parking. Highly recommend a night or two here.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank 31Jane222
Alderley Edge, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 25, 2013

This place is beautiful. Lovely rooms, very well finished, extremely clean but it totally let down by the way it is run. There's no uniform so you don't know for sure who works there.

We didn't get the room we asked for but we were part of a wedding party so maybe that was why. My husband did get served instant coffee for breakfast but they did replace it with a real coffee when he requested one.

We were woken up (in the room next to the green in outside reception and in-between all the rooms by someone mowing the lawn at 9:30am on a Sunday morning which was very much unappreciated. I mentioned this at check-out and there response was 'well it is a golf course'... well it is a hotel too! Maybe they could be more considerate both in their planning and response!

It's such a shame because it's so lovely but two main things to note is the bar is not open past 11pm (or that is what we found) and when you are out of town and you fancy a bed time tipple you aren't going to find one, no room service, nothing! Also, taxi's are £15 each way minimum into Bath!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tam7707
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wick
Bailbrook House Hotel
The Manor House Hotel and Golf Club
Aztec Hotel & Spa Bristol
Aztec Hotel & Spa Bristol
#1 of 5 in Almondsbury

Been to Tracy Park Golf & Country Hotel? Share your experiences!