“Unbelievably awful service”

Tracy Park Golf & Country Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Wick
Reviewed July 21, 2013

The following email was sent to the manager of Tracy Park on Wednesday 10th July. It is now the 21st of July, and STILL no reply! Even with a phone call on Sunday 14th, to confirm that the email had been received. As you will read, we were extremely unimpressed with our meal and service, which is such a shame, as the grounds are incredible.

Dear the manager of Tracy Park,

I am writing to let you know how disappointed I was concerning the meal on Friday 5th July 2013. The event was organised as a retirement party for several colleagues, whom had served many years in the teaching profession. This was a big event in the year calendar and a huge celebration for those colleagues.

I have never experienced such terrible service, and I can’t imagine ever experiencing it again! Having worked in hotels and at banqueting events, I know how easy it should have been to cater for the event. All of the food was pre-ordered and only two courses, plus coffee. It was a very straight forward task-yet the service was diabolical. Instead of the waiters serving one table at a time, it appeared that all of each course was served at once! This meant that the whole table was not served within five minutes, instead over thirty minutes. To make things even worse, all of the meals on the table were cold, before the vegetables were even served. There appeared to only be two waiters serving the whole party!! It was an impossible task for the two waiters and obviously going to make the service extremely poor.

When I asked one of the waiters what the meal was, he was unable to tell me, and did not ask for clarification. Surely the waiters are briefed before serving, yet this appeared to not be the case. There was also huge confusion over the tagine. I ordered ‘lamb tagine’, yet had to settle for vegetable tagine. Many of the guests were disgruntled about this.

Trying to be served a drink throughout the evening, also turned into a slow process. It appeared that the waiters were also bar staff, along with the lady on reception. Of course, this meant that there were queues and often nobody available to serve a drink.

On leaving the party, the car park was so dark, that mobile phones had to be used as torches!! This is ridiculous and I was simply glad that I wasn’t wearing heels.

As you can imagine, this experience, that was costly-the evening meal, drinks and taxi’s, has left me feeling that it was a really disappointing evening and I would recommend others to not book Tracy Park, especially for a large event, as the place is so understaffed and the food is rather poor. This is such a shame, as the grounds were delightful, yet everything else let the evening down.

I very much hope that in the future you will take care of these huge blunders, in order for others to enjoy their evenings, and not have the costly disappointing evening that I experienced.

Yours faithfully,

Ms C Edmonds.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank ClaireBristol8
TP_Management, Public Relations Manager at Tracy Park Golf & Country Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Dear Ms C Edmonds

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us at Tracy Park for which we are very grateful. We do take the comfort of our guests very seriously and strive to offer an affordable, high quality service to all our clients.

I am and continue to be apologetic in regards to the issued you faced during your stay, considering our various discussions around the visit and the compensations offered I had believed we had made progress in resolving the situation. In light of the points raised in your review I would very much like to discuss this matter further with you. If you are happy I would like to arrange a time when we can discuss this in more depth and reach a more suitable conclusion that does not leave you still feeling unsatisfied. We absolutely value your feedback and are looking forward to resolving this with you.

Please contact me at matthew@tracypark.co.uk and we can arrange a more formal conversation from there,

There are newer reviews for Tracy Park Golf & Country Hotel

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Upon arrival to the stunningly set hotel we were treated to a free upgrade to a Luxury room (6) so we were immediately looking forward even more to our three night stay. The room at first glance was lovely with a kind of Mezzanine feel about it however.....the carpet upstairs was stained with what looked like engine oil, the walls had scuff marks everywhere and the bannister was sticky halfway down. The bathroom was spacious but the toilet roll holder fell off when we touched it and overall the room felt "tired". Thursday night the food was excellent, service was very efficient and the dining hall amazing but......Friday night with the dining room full a different story emerged. Two and a half hours service for a three course meal was unacceptable, we witnessed two other parties complaining bitterly to the poor out of her depth waitress who did little to ease the situation. Our steaks were tough and overlooked but TO THEIR CREDIT when we complained we were immediately offered a refund, we were also given free drinks to compensate slow service so ultimately they redeemed themselves but at a cost, could the kitchen be trusted to host a banquet or wedding? At the end of the day I love the feel about this place, quiet and tranquil with friendly front of house staff, unfortunately it is also in desperate need of sprucing up and bringing up to date; would I stay again? in its current state only at a discounted rate but if it cleaned its act up then most definitely. PS, if you suffer from hay fever then take extra eye and nasal remedies because in June the pollen from the surroundings was the worse I've suffered in 15 years.

• Stayed: June 2013
3  Thank Dave B
TP_Management, Public Relations Manager at Tracy Park Golf & Country Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

Dear David,

I have personally inspected Room 6 with our hotels owner and can confirm there were some marks on the carpet and the toilet roll ring had come loose, both of these issues have now been rectified and the room has been fully refreshed.

I am sorry to hear of your problems at dinner and I am glad these were resolved on the night for you, we strive to offer a good selection of high quality dishes cooked to order but unfortunately for whatever reason we were unable to deliver to the standards we pride ourselves on at this particular occasion.

Whilst I am sorry we didn’t have the opportunity to move your accommodation when you stayed as we were unaware of the issues, I would like to offer you a return stay at one of our Brand New Luxury rooms in our Carriages building at a discounted rate, along with a complimentary drink for you and your partner on arrival, if you would like to contact me I would be more than happy to personally arrange this for you.

I hope that you will return to visit us and that your follow up review, should you wish to leave one, will be reflective of our solid commitment to customer service that we strive to offer all our clients on every visit.

Please contact me at matthew@tracypark.co.uk, I will try your mobile number.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Can't comment on the golf because we stayed there while attending a party nearby. We arrived to be told that we had been upgraded to a luxury room in the 'Carriages'. Wow - an amazing room. Breakfast adequate although service could have been better e.g. waitress walking through the restaurant intermittently shouting who ordered poached eggs, who ordered scrambled eggs etc. and help yourself coffee/tea which I prefer to have served. The buildings are amazing. Steeped in history. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review and for your recognition of the quality of our new hotel rooms at Carriages.

I apologise for the breakfast experience however I can assure you when you next stay we will be pleased to serve you Tea and Coffee on request.

Please contact me personally at matthew@tracypark.co.uk so I can take care of your future arrangements.

Best Wishes,
Matthew Wofinden

Reviewed June 20, 2013

Really good Golf Courses, good accomodation but let down by the food in the restaurant. On our second night after being on the golf course all day the meal was really dissapointing. I was in a group of 14 blokes and not only was the meal poor but we were given 2 measly bowls of veg between us. Which was not enough to go round. When we asked for more the waiter advised that we had been given all we were entitled to. Considering we had paid over £200 each for the weekend we felt that this was out of order. Eventually some more veg did arrive but by this time my meal was cold. When I complained nothing was done about it. There was also nothing to do at the hotel in the evenings not even a pool table! There were 2 Pubs in the village neither of which were very good. Taxi fare into Bath was over £25!

Room Tip: Rooms really good and well equiped.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Co-op Travel
1  Thank Steve G

Good Morning,

I am sorry to hear of your problems at dinner, we strive to offer a good selection of high quality dishes cooked to order but unfortunately for whatever reason we were unable to deliver to the standards we pride ourselves on at this particular occasion.

Please contact me at matthew@tracypark.co.uk, if you would like to discuss your review further, otherwise we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

I read some of the reviews on here after booking our stay at Tracy Park and was a little concerned. Some people said it was dark and small accommodation and that the service was poor. I was also slightly concerned that there was no reception per say after 8pm.
Well far from it!...

We booked a luxury room for Fri 7th - Sun 9th June 2013. Upon arrival the guest blocks are a number of buildings behind the main Manor house. It's set out like a small village and it's really charming. There was plenty of spaces to park.and it was beautiful.

We got there at about 8.45 pm and made our way to reception. There was no one on reception but our room key and welcome letter was sitting on the desk marked for our attention and there were staff at the bar a couple of metres away who were on hand if necessary.

Our room was set in a converted barn called the 'Carriages'. It looked brand new and was stunningly decorated. Modern foyer area with sofas and plants that led you to the rooms. It felt really executive and exclusive and was so quiet throughout the entire weekend even though there was apparently a wedding reception.

The room (34) was just gorgeous and had been very expensively decorated. The bed was a queen and exceptionally huge and comfortable. Loads of space and a huge TV. The bathroom was enormous and one of the nicest I have ever experienced with a huge shower/wet room area and his and hers sinks and heated towel rails. (Some rooms do have a bath if you prefer). It was all absolutely spotless.

Breakfast was a buffet service with plenty to chose from, hot and cold, and really set you up for the day. Tea, Coffee and Juices, full English, pastries, cereals, toast, fruit or cold meats and cheese.

We had no problems with the service either. Everyone was very helpful especially the lovely Head Housekeeper Sharon and her husband who also worked on site. They both chatted to us for ages even though they was really busy and gave us some fabulous tips on bath. I cannot say enough how lovely and helpful they both were and a credit to Tracy Park.

One very good tip she gave us was when visiting Bath, if you turn left out of the Hotel on the country road and follow it up the hill, you will see signs for the Park and Ride Service at Landsdown Park. For £2.50 at weekends and £3.00 in the week you can park here all day and get a beautiful bus trip right in to the centre of town. Very regular service and was nice to see the sights en route into town rather than worrying where to park.

I also recommend the open top city bus sightseeing tours. For your ticket price of £12, you get to go on two city tours, one inside and one around the outskirts of town which were both informative and really good fun. You can get on and off as you please and your ticket gets you money off the main attractions. It lasts for 24 hours too.

Tracy Park is about 4 miles out of the centre of Bath but with the convenience of the Park and Ride it made staying just out of town so worth it and so much quieter. I saw some of the other hotels in town and they looked like they could get really busy and noisy at night so this place was bliss.

There was no swimming pool but I think they said they were planning a spa centre in the near future. That would just top off this place perfectly.

Thoroughly recommended.

Room Tip: Pick the Carriages and you won't regret it!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SuffolkEssexGirl

Good Morning,

I'm grateful for your impressions of our Carriages building & I am pleased to hear about your meeting with our Head of Housekeeping, I'm glad Sharon was helpful to you.

Reviewed June 12, 2013

Four of us stayed in 2 rooms at the hotel's Luxury rooms in the newly converted barn. The entrance to the rooms were very bright and modern. Rooms were beautiful and large with high ceiling, very well decorated with a super-king bed and a 40-inch widescreen TV. The bathroom was very large, modern with a large wet-room style shower. We only stayed for one night and ate at the hotel restaurant. The food was good and the staff were very nice. After dinner Katie, one of the staff member, took us for a tour around the building. We had a very good experience and will definitely go back to stay in the Luxury rooms. It is a very good value for money and I strongly recommend it to everyone.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Good Morning,

I'm grateful for your impressions of our Hotel & I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed a tour around the Manor House, I'm glad Katie was helpful to you.

Reviewed June 5, 2013

We stayed here for just the one night and I must say the housekeeping staff were outstanding!!!! We stayed in what I think used to be stables the rooms are clean and fresh yet a little shabby could do with a lick of paint. After breakfast we went back to our room for a cup of tea we actually used all the tea bags so I managed to get the attention of a cleaner and she couldn't of been more helpful! Gave us tea extra sugar biscuits and milk. She was absolutely lovely asking if everything was ok with our room and if we needed any thing else then to just ask! She was truly a reflection of the hotel I just regret I didn't catch her name. Red short hair. Would definitely recommend even just for the teabags!!

• Stayed: May 2013

Good Morning,

I'm grateful for your impressions of our Hotel & whilst I apologise over the lack of teabags in your room I'm glad our Housekeeping team could look after you in this case.

Marketing & PR Director

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wick
De Vere Tortworth Court
De Vere Tortworth Court
#1 of 1 in Tortworth
Bailbrook House Hotel
Apsley House Hotel
The Roseate Villa Bath
Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel
Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel

Been to Tracy Park Golf & Country Hotel? Share your experiences!