“Nice vibe ok food”

Fisherman's
Ranked #4 of 12 Restaurants in Kommetjie
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed June 28, 2014

Nice local vibe to be had at Fishermans in the quaint suburb of Kommetjie but the food was a bit mediocre for the price. The calamari was a oily and not that tasty for the same price you pay anywhere for a better serving. Service was also on the mediocre side, but the place was full of regulars, locals and visitors so maybe we just experienced a bad day at this popular venue.

Reviewed May 18, 2014 via mobile

We arrived about 15:00 only a few tables, we sat inside and they got fire going. Tiger prawns on menu got my attention but was told they didn't have so it was Fish n Chips next, which is what we felt like was good, fish fresh and portion ample. The batter was a bit soggy but the chips were crispy and overall taste good. Scored less due to service, every time we wanted a drink, or bill we had to stop a waiter and there were a few so a little more attention to guest and it would have home much better. Will I return when in Kommetjie again, probably I would like to sample other options.

Reviewed May 6, 2014 via mobile

Good for a pint. Try Pulaner beer. Kids love pizzas. Fish and chips best on menu. Not gratest joint around but best in Kommetjie for certain.

Reviewed March 24, 2014

This was the first establishment I ever patronized when I first visited SA back in '98. Those were the days when locals complained when the Rand reached 10 to the UK pound.

I am glad to say that it is roughly the same now as it was then. The focus is a long bar with quite a range of beers with 2 TV's tuned to sports channels. In the back is a dining area and outside you can sit on benches under the trees if you wish.

The clientele are very local - we would say 'working men' in UK. They prop up the bar and were engaging noisily with the TV. We took refuge in the back and decided to share a pizza. Glad we did as it was huge, ever so slightly underdone but yummy nevertheless. We had a large portion of chips - well cooked and not greasy - and I had two glasses of 'box wine' (yea, tell them how it is) and other half had rooibos tea. Total R178.

I was most impressed with the waiter who was very gentle and caring, and went out of my way to tell the manager sitting in his back office how much I appreciated the fact that this pub/restaurant had not been tarted up. Having said that, it is what it is so, visitors, don't be too sniffy and remember that this is the main and loved social meeting place / watering hole for this village.

The weather has broken for winter as it usually does at this time of year. Table Mountain has its table cloth firmly over it and rain has prevailed yesterday and today 24th March. A great time to end a brilliant three week holiday.

Pullovers on again and I'll be back soon, folks.

Reviewed February 16, 2014

Gritty calamari heads or cold food. Probably both! Very disappointing first time visit except for sitting under the oak trees. Sorry won't be back, no apology even offered.