“Remarkable”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Auld Reekie Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Gowganda
Auld Reekie Lodge
Haileybury, Ontario, Canada
“Remarkable”
Reviewed January 30, 2013

January 26 2013, my boyfriend and I wanted a little getaway and he had just purchased his first new sled and wanted to use it to the max before going back to James Bay for work. My dad spoke about auld Reekie Lodge, didn’t take him too serious about how amazing this place was... Well we were SOOOOO wrong!! While we were on our way to the lodge, there was 2 young men packing down the trail told us to watch out for a little tree that had fallen on to the trail and they are to remove it. (Thank you again guys!! Even though it wasn’t a huge tree lol)
After a 7hrs ski-doo trip, we were greeted by all the ladies in the lodge; the two daughters’ greeted us with smiles and were every professional! We went to change for dinner and our room was nice and warm and very cozy! Beautiful view of the lake!
We went back to the lodge to have a well-deserved drink! And Dianne and her mom were wonderful!! Very down to earth and very pleasant  had a few drinks and chatted with the family, I couldn’t believe the atmosphere and the friendliness of everyone!
The DINNER!! Am 5’3 and 100lbs and I’ve been with my boyfriend for 6yrs and I have never finished my dinner he couldn’t believe his own eyes! I cleared my plate!!!!
(We went to a restaurant 2 weeks before “that is known for steak” THIS OVER PASSED it!!) I did not want to share nor give my leftovers to him, THAT GOOD! And dessert Yummy!! If I could rate the food you all would have 10 stars in my books!
The next morning, they all greeted us with good morning and Diane knew we wanted coffee LOL had a fresh hot cup waiting for us! Breakfast was as good as dinner the way we wanted it! The best part was having conversations with everyone even the grandfather! (Sorry for not sharing my dessert haha) We gassed up and said our goodbyes and just was we were out the door the there was a little voice saying goodbye to us (the littlest one on the bunch) that put a big smile on our faces.
We will defiantly be going back again this summer, this time with our four-wheeler
Thank you for the great night! We couldn’t have asked for better!!

Nathalie & Daniel

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nathalie D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Woodbridge, Virginia
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Like other reviews, the fishing, the food, the accommodations, the food, the amenities and did I mention the food? Urs and Diane and family were great hosts, they made us feel part of the family. My buddy and I were there August 25 - September 1 focused on fishing for Walleye, Pike and Bass. One benefit of this time of year, no flies, no mosquitoes!!! Gowganda lake itself didn't provide much in the way of fishing, but the boats are top notch. Nice boat, comfortable seats, Merc 25hp motor. I just wish we could have found more fish on Gowganda. The other lakes were very good. Urs took us to Stumpy for a great afternoon/evening of Walleye fishing and when we returned, Urs prepared the walleye with fried potatoes and beans (at 8:30 that evening). It was a really good meal. Urs knows how to filet walleye (in about 20 seconds). As long as I am talking about the food, every meal was absolutely outstanding. I highly recommend the meal plan. Gourmet meals every time. I'm certain we will be back! Thank you Urs and Diane.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Guelph
Reviewed September 7, 2012

WOW!

I cannot decide whether the 4lb bass, my wife catching her first pike or the awesome meals was the highlight of the week we spent at Auld Reekie Lodge August 19-26, 2012. The accommodation was quaint and rustic with a terrific view of the lake. Mornings were spent enjoying amazing pancakes or delicious eggs and home fries then off to a day of fishing.
Special thanks to our guide Morgan for making the trips to and from the lake(s) amusing and the chance to catch some wonderful walleye. Finally, to Urs and Dianne thanks for the special decorations for my birthday and hosting an amazing fish fry for all of the lodgers. That was one terrific meal among a bevy of great feasts.

Already booked for next year and that is the best review comment one can make!

Brooks & Lisa H.
Guelph, Ontario

Room Tip: Use a perch colored crankbait if fishing artificial lures and take the guided trip into stumpy for w...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Brooks H
Moundsville, West Virginia, United States
Reviewed July 27, 2012

Urs and Diane, Thank you so much for the great hospitality this year. Our trip was wonderful as usual. Made some new friends this year and had a great time hanging out in the evenings. What a difference we have seen in the last 5 years we have been coming up. Keep up the great work! Can't wait to see you again. Hopefully soon! Love the place and plan on coming up every year if not twice a year.

Room Tip: The cabins are beautiful and make you feel like your at home. Very nice and clean.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Schumacher, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Spent three days and two nights at the lodge with a group of 13 of us. The owners were excellent host and did a great job ensuring we were well fed. Urs was our ATV guide on Saturday and excellent with his guiding. Diane and her two daughters did an excellent job with ensuring our meal service was excellent. The food was excellent and well prepared. Accommodations were great.

Jody K

Cedarville, Michigan
Reviewed July 16, 2012

The Brunner family go out of their way to make your stay the best it can be. The atmosphere, the food, the lodging and hospitality are second to none. If your interested in ATV's find time to book a stay and explore the area.

Timmins, Canada
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Just returned from an awesome weekend with 13 other friends on an ATV trip.Urs, Diane, Shawna and Stephanie really made us feel welcome and part of their family with warm hospitality, Above excellent food(quantity/taste/and service) and great lunches packed for the trip.Our guide also took us on a mix of trails with a little of everything. Accomodations were also second to none with great swimming areas. We will definitely return for ATV weekends but also with our spouses and families. Keep up the excellent work gang..Till next year

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Auld Reekie Lodge? Share your experiences!