“No Air-Con, Basic TV and Average Breakfast” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ettington Chase Hotel

Ettington Chase Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ettington
Rochdale, England
“No Air-Con, Basic TV and Average Breakfast”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2010

This large conference centre is in the country about seven miles outside Stratford on Avon.
Plenty of free parking, free wi-fi, and a large room.
There are a few problems, in that for some reason, you only get around half a dozen tv channels, breakfast is distinctly average - rubber eggs, hard leathery bacon, and cold plates.
I wasn't impressed by the apparent bloodstain on the floor of the basic bathroom, and on a warm summer evening, the bedroom was unbearably hot - no air-con and not even an electric fan.
A final niggle - there is a workdesk tucked into a dark corner of the bedroom - why not have a lamp on it so that people can work in a good light?

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank wroughtironron

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (280)
England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2010

Mostly I read reviews and think that many people moan unnecessarily. However, it's now my turn to moan. Overheated rooms - thus no sleep to be had. Cold water was only to be had via a really thin trickle from shower and taps - therefore having a shower took ages, unless you like being scalded!! Also, there was something grey and unmentionable lurking in the plughole. Food provided for my confwerence was good though.
Overall verdict...all I can say is, I'm glad I wasn't paying!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2010

I wanted to get away with my husband for a couple of days. Ettington Chase served that purpose. It's out in the middle of the country but just a short drive into Stratford. It was quiet, peaceful, and we weren't bothered by anyone. Our check-in was seamless, our check-out just the same. The room was spotless; we could've eaten off the bathroom floor. We had everything we needed and didn't have to ask for anything. Pool was great.

The only gripes that I would have, and they're small, are:
1. The breakfast was less than stellar with very bland scrambled eggs.
2. I once tried to get a gentleman's attention in the restaurant during breakfast to get some coffee. I put up my hand, he walked right by me, looked at me, and kept walking. I took care of that one with his supervisor, however.
3. The bed in our room was far more comfortable to look at than to sleep in.

It's not kid friendly, and I wouldn't have expected it to be even if we had kids. It's a conference centre. Overall, good place. Not disappointed.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2010

Was worried abotu what to expect after reading reviews on here but wasnt disappointed. Booked a 2 night B&B deal with Superior room on last minute for excellent price of £105.

Room was newly refurbished and good standard, everything you expect (flat screen TV, coffee making facilities). Breakfast was good and nothing to complain about there.

Used the pool and jacuzi which was very quiet, nice relaxing experience there.

Staff were very helpful and did everything to help when car wouldnt start- they found some jump leads and one of the reception staff went to far as to offer us her car to jump start our car. Couldnt fault the whole experience.

Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2010

Ettington Chase is very pleasant. Rooms are spacious, exceptionally comfortable and well appointed. There were some minor maintenance issues in the bathroom but typical of a well-used hotel. The grounds are enormous. It's a short drive from Stratford, so a car is essential. The actual manorhouse is only a small part of the hotel. Modern soul-less wings radiate outward and give the appearance of a nursing home, rather out of character from the Victorian central building. However, inside the blend from old to new has been done well. It is a large venue with several conference/dining rooms. You can expect to share the facilities with business functions and weddings. Don't expect anything quaint and cosy. Staff were exceptionally helpful. When we arrived, there was no hot water. I've been in hotels where this happens and no one wants to take responsibility. But this time, no excuses. The situation was explained and we were updated when it took longer than planned. The manager apologised profusely to us and then gave us our drink orders free of charge as a way of saying sorry. In the end, we understood they were doing their best and apart from the frustration we all felt, no one complained. If only all hotel managers could adopt this level of courtesy and generosity. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel and congratulate the staff on responding so professionally. I will be back.

• Stayed April 2010
chippenham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2010

After booking this hotel for one night as a treat for my wife I was a little worried by some of the previous reviews. I paid £70 for one Saturday night with full English breakfast (very good) which was, in comparison to most 4* hotels very good value for money . The main picture on most websites does show the old house where the reception is, but if you expect to stay in there for your money then you will be disappointed as the majority of rooms are in the newer extension. The rooms are clean, tidy and modern all the staff were very friendly and helpful and tea and coffee were free all day and night. I did not eat an evening meal at the hotel but booked in at the local pub "the chequers" and I have to say the food and service was excellent and all within 5 minutes walk from the hotel. The hotel is only 5 to 6 miles from Stratford and was ideal for a short break. I would definitely book this hotel again and am not sure what people expect to get for their money. The pool, sauna and jacuzzi are not big but clean and well looked after.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
SLappage
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2010

I stayed at this hotel for one night with a group of friends, between us we had five rooms. We booked as part of a dinner/room/breakfast deal which was unbelievable value for money.
The rooms were well presented, clean andmodern. Nothing special but nice decor, although they did get a little warm even with the window open.
Dinner was nice, although I felt the quoted prices were high for what you got, but as ours was included in the package it was a good deal. Breakfast was buffet style, full english and some continental options.
There is a large car park, swimming pool and gym, but don't be mislead by the fact they name it a spa, there is no actual spa facilities. The hotel is about a 15/20 minute drive from Stratford and taxi's in are about £15-£20 so if you don't drive it could add to the costs.
The staff were lovely and so helpful at all times. (Unlike at the Mercure Shakespear hotel where we went for an afternoon tea)
Overall, I think it lives up to its four star rating and if you are looking for a nice, quiet place to stay and have a car this is the ideal spot.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ettington
Ettington Park Hotel
Crowne Plaza Stratford-Upon-Avon
Crowne Plaza Stratford-Upon-Avon
#9 of 28 in Stratford-upon-Avon
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,030 reviews

Been to Ettington Chase Hotel? Share your experiences!