“Disappointed”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ettington
Nottingham
“Disappointed”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

My husband took me here for my birthday as it was so close to Stratford. He managed to secure a discounted rate on laterooms.com, which he paid £118.60 for two nights stay (excluding breakfast). We most certainly would not have paid full price for this. We received a warm reception and all staff were excellent. The room was the biggest let down of all. For a standard double bedroom, it fell beneath 'standard'. The room was clean but the mattress was uncomfortable on one side only. My husband and I swapped sides and agreed that only one side was comfortable. One of the lamps did not work. The shower was appalling, you had to dance around to get wet! The bar closed at 11pm, we felt this was a little early. We paid an additional £10 (discounted rate) for breakfast one morning, service was brilliant, food sadly was not. It would be fair to say, what we paid was a fair rate but we would not pay a penny more. It is a shame as the service levels were fantastic.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Ettington C, General Manager at Ettington Chase Hotel, responded to this review, September 14, 2013
Thank you for posting a review following your recent stay with us. Sorry to read that you were not happy with the quality of your bedroom. We value your feedback and I will investigate your comments to assess what improvements we can make.

Stuart

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
Mainsforth
Reviewed September 8, 2013

My Mum and I enjoyed an excellent meal in the Tempus Restaurant at this hotel last week. The service from Matthew and Tyler was first-class - friendly yet professional, the best we have had in a long time! Plus amazing food - we had the featherblade of beef (so tender!) and the salmon, followed by the Eton Mess and the mango and coconut pannacotta, which my Mum is still raving about. Also we were offered delicious complimentary bread with oil and balsamic dip, which was divine. A great bargain, especially with the Tastecard, (£22.50 for two main courses and desserts) and a lovely atmosphere in the restaurant. We'll definitely be heading back when we're next in the area. Many thanks to Matthew and Tyler for superb service and a warm welcome from reception too!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Many thanks for your positive feedback following your recent visit to our Tempus restaurant.at Ettington Chase. I'll be sure to pass your feedback onto our kitchen team with regards to the food quality. I was especially pleased to read of the great service you received from Matt & Tyler and again I'll make them aware of your comments.

We hope to welcome you back to Ettington Chase in the near future.

Cannock
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We used this for my parents Golden Wedding Anniversary on the 31st August 2013. The hotel were very attentive and made a very special event a very special day. The private function restaurant was excellently presented, served well, and the food was great. I would certainly use the venue again and recommend to anyone planning an event.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Ettington C, General Manager at Ettington Chase Hotel, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Thank you very much for your positive feedback of Ettington Chase I was pleased to read that our team contributed to making your special occasion even more memorable. I'll be sure to share your feedback with them too.
I hope to welcome you back to Ettington Chase in the near future.

Derbyshire, England
Reviewed September 4, 2013

The hotel, looking at the web site seems very nice and you would possibly assume that the main photo is where you would be staying. What they do not show you is the massive extension that adjoins it, doesn't blend into the existing features in any way and is where the accommodation is located. Most disappointing as it looks more like its intended purpose is a conference and banqueting suite as opposed to a nice country four star hotel.
As we looked out of our bedroom window to the right we had lovely views of large industrial refuse bins, some with the lids open so that we had a lovely smell in our room if we left the window open and to the right several piles of discarded divan beds! Not what you would expect from an alleged 4 star hotel! Would we stay here again? No.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Sorry to read of your disappointment following your recent stay however our website carries images and information on the location of all our bedrooms in relation to the layout of the hotel.
As mentioned in previous reviews we have recently replaced over half of our bedstock and the divans you mentioned have been stored for collection by a local charity in the near future. I hope the views of the open Warwickshire countryside behind this area was more akin to your expecations.
Stuart

Travelers are raving about these Ettington hotels

Reviewed September 3, 2013

We booked this place as there was very little accommodation available during our travel times. (June 28th 2013 - July 1st 2013) The property is beautiful and has charm but it felt that it lacked atmosphere. There is so much space in and out of the property that they should have things to do for the guests. There were groups staying on the property which made us feel a little out of place like the property was more for conferences rather than a hotel.

We stayed in a standard double and I can definitely say that the bed was terrible. Our travel companions had the same opinion about their bed too. The room size was great but the room needed black out curtains and an upgrade of the bathroom.

Staff were very helpful in trying to find a laundry-mat for us as they didn't provide the service.

It's in a good location. We traveled to Conventry, Warwick Castle, Strathford Upon Avon and Silverstone for the GP

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Domenica2
Thank you for your review following your recent stay. Sorry to read you were disappoited with the quality of your bed. Since your departure we have replaced 57 double beds with new ones to alleviate this problem. The green room located next to reception contains information on what activities are available in and around the hotel and where to obtain them from. I'm glad our team were able to help you with your request to locate a laundry when our service was unavailable at weekends.
North Bucks
Reviewed September 1, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Ettington Chase as part of a group booking. We were with a group of friends and stayed on a Saturday night.

The hotel is easy to find and has a large and secure-feeling car park, which is a bonus. The property certainly looks impressive, covering a fairly large area and having well groomed (if a little dull) gardens around buildings and car park.

Reception staff were polite and helpful, which was nice, particularly since over a dozen of us arrived together and they clearly had a wedding booking that evening too. However, all was not brilliant. We had booked executive rooms and done so a good few months before. While still holding our bags and going through the checking in procedure we were given a rather scabby looking piece of paper with an excel spreadsheet print of (most of) our names and the available menu items for our evening meal and were asked to put a tick against our choices for the three courses there and then. I am sure that the food choices would have looked a little more inspiring had they been presented as is traditional, using a menu and at the table. This was made no easier by the fact that the font on the print was smaller than 8-point and I found it impossible to read without glasses, which were packed still in my case.

The room was very nice indeed. Modern furniture and quality fittings abound and we had a large and comfortable bed. The room and bathroom were spotless and the room was plenty large and had a desk. Free wi-fi is provided, though the connection is pretty slow and also requires logging in afresh after 30 minutes, which if I had been there on business would have been a real pain in the neck (completing full name, address and email each time). Bathroom lights could be a bit brighter, but really no complaints about the room, which also had a desk and a comfy chair as well as decent wardrobe space and bedside lights.

We were kindly shown to our own separate room for dinner (and breakfast the following morning), which was a nice touch - particularly as we were with old friends and wanted to feel free to make a noise if we wished. So to the food. I had black pudding and bacon salad with an egg and hollandaise sauce to start and this was very nice indeed - not too much and just rich enough. I had ordered 'catch of the day' for my main course, which was a warm fillet of red mullet on a salad base. This was nicely presented and looked the part. Sadly though, the mullet was NOT filleted and had more bones than any fish fillet has a right to and to add insult to injury, it was overcooked and quite tough. A shame really, as the salad was nice enough but very much spoilt by the poor fish. Pudding was a perfectly decent Eton Mess - not outstanding, but served with delicious rhubarb ice cream.

The bar area was very noisy after dinner, with a wedding party that had spilled out of its own room and consisted of some fairly well tanked-up revellers. This got louder and louder, but we were lucky enough to find the library, which was a bit of an oasis of calm, where our group could sit and chat with only the rather cheesy piped music to contend with. Things got a bit out of hand at the bar and there were fisticuffs before bedtime, which was rather humorous, but not entirely what you expect from a premier venue.

Breakfast was OK - nice fruit and cereals and rather tired looking fried fare. We were in a bit of a rush to get ourselves out and so didn't stay there too long, but it was perfectly acceptable.

I've given the hotel an average rating, because the food was a real let down. The staff were all helpful, including those in the dining room, but I can cook fish better than that which I was served and don't expect to pay to be disappointed in that way. I also felt that the check-in food choice was poorly handled. If it was really that important to them then a couple of menus on reception would have done the trick nicely and been a lot more in keeping with the experience that I am sure the hotel would like its guests to have.

Room Tip: Cannot comment on the other rooms, but the Executive one we had was very nice.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank grumpyguts
Thank you for your review of Ettington Chase, I was pleased to read that on the whole you had an enjoyable stay. I apologise that your main course was not to your satisfaction and please be assured this is not the norm. The menu your party selected to dine from was bespoke and therefore we did not have any printed menus for you to select from hence why we had to produce our own. I will speak to the sales team and see if there is anyway we can improve this process based on your feedback. I investigated your comments on the behaviour of our guests in the bar area with my night manager and he was not made aware of any altercations taking place but please be assured that had this been brought to his attention the situation would have been dealt with quickly and efficiently. I hope you choose to stay with us again in the near future.
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Upon arrival at Ettington Chase we were greeted by a very friendly and helpful receptionist. She advised us on the leisure facilities which me and my partner went to investigate. All very clean, quiet and well equipped. We took advantage of these on both days of our stay.
The room was very basic and the bed small. We were in a double room with a view over looking a car park and construction work. Not ideal when the rest of the hotel over looks beautiful surroundings!!!
We looked at the menu at the hotel restaurant but were disappointed by the lack of variety and the excessive cost. Instead we headed to the local bar/bistro chequers (which I would highly recommend to anyone staying at Ettington Chase!!!!)
Upon return to the hotel we went to order a bottle of wine, and realised the house red was £20.00 again excessive!! (we got a bottle of champagne for the same price at Chequers!)
The hotel is designed for business men/women and holds many conferences - no personality to the place, all very commercial.
My main concern was the excessive noise which woke me the second morning at 8.00am (sat morning) by the builders!!!!!! this carried on all morning, we were glad to be leaving. We also found a beetle in our bathroom, which was a worry, again making our departure welcome. Stratford-Upon-Avon itself is only a short drive away, and very beautiful.
I would no recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a quaint romantic getaway or a cheap break as it will provide neither of these.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Sorry to read of your disappointment following your recent stay. I would advise those guests looking for charm and character explore the possibility of upgrading to one of our deluxe rooms or junior suites which are located in the Old House part of our hotel.
I'm afraid I do not recognise the description of building noise you described as occuring on a Saturday morning as we hand none scheduled to take place during August, however I will investigate further as we would always plan any disruptive work to occur at times when there would be minimal impact on our guests and certainly not at 8am on weekend morning.

Stuart
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ettington
Ettington Park Hotel
Crowne Plaza Stratford-Upon-Avon
Crowne Plaza Stratford-Upon-Avon
#8 of 27 in Stratford-upon-Avon
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,136 reviews

Been to Ettington Chase Hotel? Share your experiences!