“Worrying and uncomfortable experience with waitress”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Pizza Express

Pizza Express
Ranked #39 of 63 Restaurants in Greenhithe
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Kids, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: A lovely, well situated restaurant in the heart of Bluewater's 'Village' with spectacular views of Bluewater's lake and surrounds.
Essex
“Worrying and uncomfortable experience with waitress”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

My friend and I ate at Pizza Express, Bluewater, on Saturday lunchtime. The food was fine - just the usual Pizza Express fayre as you'd expect, but it was a rather surprising interaction that we had with the waitress which has prompted me to write this review.
Towards the end of our meal, a little girl on the table behind us was sick. Not the restaurant's fault, of course. Our waitress helped the girl's father to clear up the mess and mop the little girl up with paper towels. I thought it was surprising that the waitress was not wearing latex gloves to do this. I work with children, and one of the first rules of first aid is to reach for the gloves the minute ANY bodily fluid is spilled.
Being a bit "germ phobic" both my friend and I decided to go and settle our bill at the till rather than remain at the table. The other waitress at the till called our waitress over, away from the sick situation, to take our payment. Bearing in mind we had just witnessed her clearing up the sick with her hands, I asked her if she wouldn't mind washing her hands before taking my card for payment etc. I was very polite and humble as I asked, because I didn't want to make the waitress feel awkward.
Her reaction caught me completely off guard! She motioned to the sink (which was right behind her incidentally), and said defensively "I've already washed my hands!". My friend pointed out politely that she had just been back to the table, to which the waitress responded "I was only handing him baby wipes. I've washed my hands!". She then smelt her hands, and actually started to put her hands out towards us as if inviting us to sniff them!
Not wanting to make any more of a fuss we paid up and left....via the toilets to wash our own hands and my debit card!
We were shocked at the way the waitress reacted to our request. Even if she HAD only just washed her hands, surely as a professional, at the request of the customer she could have just turned around to the sink and washed them again?! We both felt very uncomfortable after the interaction, and worried about the germ being spread to ourselves, and to other staff as the waitress used the touchscreen till and card payment machine.
Perhaps some staff training on health and hygiene is required.

2 Thank cheekybabymonkey

Cuxton Kent
“Lasagne”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

My husand and I had to misfortune to order Lasagne at this Pizza Express on Tuesday. I have to say it was the worst Lasagne I have ever eaten in a Restaurant bar none. It came up sizzling - clearly been microwaved or been in an extremely hot oven and was burnt at the edges of the dish. We were advised to not touch it for about five miniutes. It was pasta with a slurry of tomato sauce, No layers of meat and cheese sauce and we ate it with a spoon. It didn't taste awful but it was not recognisable as a lasagne! It didn't come with any garlic bread or leaves so at £9.30 + gratuity I felt it was extremely overpriced for what it was. We occasionally have Morrisions 3 for £5 Kitchen Ready Meals and they are much better than this. I cook a very good Lasagne myself and have eaten many on my trips to Italy, none were like this. Will not be going again!

• Visited March 2013
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“Excellent food ~ appallingly slow service .................”
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Been twice recently and had the same experience ~ excellent food, usual Pizza Express standard but service has been appallingly slow ~ had to find a member of staff to take our order and waiting to pay was painfully slow............such a shame! Won't be returning anytime soon......................

• Visited January 2013
Kent
“Very accommodating.”
Reviewed January 12, 2013

We visit this restaurant fairly often as a family and are always pleased with the service and value. They have a good selection on the menu and staff are happy to make recommendations or to change items if asked. My son and daughter are vegan and staff have always been happy to serve the pizzas without cheese, and with a little of another topping in its place, with no fuss or bother.
They are also happy to accommodate larger parties if pre-booked. Seating for a birthday gathering for 15 adults was not a problem.

• Visited October 2012
London
“Doughtastic”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Best dough balls ever! Staff were very friendly and the service was quick, worth paying that little bit extra. Dough balls were even better than I remembered - just the right amount of garlic.

Visited August 2012