“Hidden Gem”

Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Food is amazing, usually the quietest restaurant in bluewater but shouldn't be!!! Seriously the best fish and chips I have eaten

Reviewed February 10, 2013

Having eaten here on numerous occasions and also having my 50th Birthday party here as well, thought it was about time to write a review...
This review is based on the Lunchtime menu which has two courses for £9.95 or 3 courses for £11.95.
This time I had the Calamari for my starter and my wife had the Quesadillas, The Calamari was not over chewy and it was a good portion served with Mayonaisse, You get three Quesadillas which is about the right amount and very tasty too. For the main we both had the smoked haddock & bacon fishcakes(Which were excellent and a good size) served with poached egg, wilted spinach and chive butter sauce.
I ordered a side order of the Hand Cut chips which we really didn't need but they are so tasty we had them anyway. You can opt for the 3 course menu but due to generous servings we can only manage 2. On other occasions we have opted for main and dessert.
The only slight negative is they have stopped the 2 for 1 cocktails until after 5 o'clock which isn't the end of the world but was a nice treat...

Reviewed February 9, 2013

We ate here on Friday 8th February (meal for 2 adults). Service was friendly and welcoming. Food one burger (was asked how he would like it cooked, came with gerkin, tomato, etc in the burger), chips,, although they were more like potoatoes wedges (personallyI thought they could have been brownier as were quite pale in colour but they were cooked). I had the shrimp linguine with courgettes, disappointed though wit the lack of courgettes in the dish, there was literally a fill pieces (thin sliced and cut in half), and 2 halves of tomato (as requested did come without chilli's allergy), the green salad is just a bowl of salad leaves, green cucumber would have been nice. Came with a bowl of house dressing as i had asked for the dressing to be served seperately. I asked for black pepper and was told by the waiter that if you can't eat chillies then you must be allergic to black pepper, he obviously doesn't know the difference! black pepper is a seasoning not a chilli pepper! Although the service was good, we were surprised to find that there is a 12.5% charge added to the bill. Drinks one coke and a small mineral water (no starters or deserts) was £38.

Reviewed February 8, 2013

Visited Balans before attending the wedding fair at Bluewater, as we had a 25% off voucher. The atmosphere and layout etc. Is fine. The service was fine. The food and drink was not fine! I ordered 2 starters to have as a main course; Greek plate and calamari. The Greek plate was very average, supermarket-type dips and not very exciting presentation. However, the calamari was practically inedible. The batter was very pale, crumbly and tasteless. And to top it off I ordered a mojito (one of my favourite drinks) which was too strong, bitter and seemed to have no sugar in as a mojito should. I didn't drink it and I didn't eat most of my food! I should say I'm by no means a fussy eater and I was always brought up to clear my plate! So this made me very disappointed and uncomfortable. Fortunately the waitress removed the cocktail from the bill without me complaining, however we were still charged 12.5% service charge which I was too embarrassed and defeated to argue. Left very angry and disappointed...should have gone to TGI's...

Reviewed January 16, 2013

We visit Balans regularly when we are at Bluewater. After trying the breakfast at most of the restaurants there we found balans to be the best. There is plenty of choice both for adults and children. We have also had an afternoon meal there which was also fine. The food is reasonably priced and you can get a Royalty card with them, once you have reached 250 points you receive £25 of your next bill. The staff are all friendly and very helpful.