“Really pleasant stay”

Ranked #1 of 7 Clun B&B and Inns
West Wycombe, United Kingdom
“Really pleasant stay”
Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

Had a 2 night stay here whist having a short break touring mid Wales on my motorcycle. The room (beige) was more than ample for a solo visitor and would be enough for a couple also. The breakfast is great, large and very tasty, the evening meals also just fine, using all locally sourced foods - meat has a long distance to travel from the butchers next door!
The hosts are welcoming without being in your face, and the pub is an old style, proper, community pub that the locals seem to like and love, they certainly support the establishment full heartedly. This means that yes there will be some voices to be heard into the late evenings, but this is part and parcel of a thriving pub that is at the heart of the community, everyone I spoke to stressed how much they loved the place! If you want a totally quiet place to sleep, then a village pub is maybe not the place to choose in the first place.
The food is good old fashioned, no frills, wholesome food, I had the sausage and mash on my last night and it was nice to have proper spuds and sausages that had some flavour to them!
The room had everything that you would need, and was very comfortable. The housekeeping standards are good, bed lined nice and white and crisp and a good supply of thick towels even for a single booking.
The place does have its quirks but it is also a very old building with exposed stone walks in places but that I feel adds to its character.
For the price of the room, I feel it's good value.
I look forward to a return visit probably even with the wife next time!

Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Worzel-Minxy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Ampthill
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Very good value for money, especially for single use. Clean, tidy and tasteful rooms. Very good pub grub and breakfast. Only comment would be to upgrade the showers sometime soon. Reading another review about a problem with late licences ..........it's a pub, what do you expect?!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 10, 2013

I spent a night at The White Horse in July on a visit to Shropshire with my parents and we were charmed by the fact that it was the hub of the village, which in itself is a lovely little place, very sleepy and old fashioned and in the lovely summer weather was just delightful. The pub was definitely a 'pub' and the food was pub nosh, perfectly nice but typical country pub food, not your 'gourmet pub'. But we really enjoyed the atmosphere and feeling that it was an authentic and proper pub - 'the heart of the village' with people popping in for a pint in their work clothes, and walkers and holidaymakers too. The rooms were nice, recently refurbished, clean and comfortable. My parents had a room on the back which was quiet, but my room on the front was pretty noisy until around midnight with people enjoying themselves in the summer evening under my window, but I had allowed for this as previous guests had mentioned it, so just turned the TV up a bit and fell asleep! The staff were very friendly and helpful. The only improvement I would suggest is that the back hallway by which you access the stairs to the rooms, is the way to the public loos and the garden, and is a bit shabby, so not the best intro to the rooms. However, I would recommend it as a good place to stay if you are not bothered by any of the above. We really enjoyed it there and would go again!

Room Tip: If bothered by lively pub noise, ask for the room on the back.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Reviewed August 3, 2013

Needs serious investment and change of cleaning staff!! Manager very apologetic!!
He returned our deposit but we were really dissatisfied with our room and visitors should also be made aware that the pub has a late licence until early hours and young loutish drinkers stand outside and in the bar drinking and the noise is very loud !!!!
Also, the management provides ear plugs in all of the bedrooms - no wonder why!!!!!!
An awful experience - avoid at all costs !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank GJH1965
WhiteHorseClun, Owner at The White Horse Inn, Rooms, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
I am sorry about your experience, at our property. When I met you on the night, I had only returned to the pub from my holiday for ten minutes, having taken over the bar at 11.00pm. I agree that there was a problem with the saniflo waste digester in this room, causing some backup of odour through the shower trap. Which is why I refunded you with your deposit immediately. The saniflo was not due for it's annual service until September, you visited in July. Apparently the room had not been used for four nights so had been unopened prior to your visit. I had appointed no-one to check rooms on a daily basis while I was away, mea maxima culpa.

I am sorry you think my customers are louts, on approaching the pub at 11.00pm I did notice there to be a big crowd of people outside. It was a very hot evening, they were all chatting to each other in a friendly way, incidentally they were predominantly the local farming community. I saw evidence of and witnessed no bad behaviour or states of undress, although occasionally the language may have been a bit bucolic. I admit they were drinking inside and out, but after all this is a pub.
I do warn all guests on my website that we run a lively, busy pub, and it is for this reason many guests return time after time. I feel it is a crying shame that some of our great British pubs now have very few customers after 9.00pm as they have just become glorified eating houses. I also point out that at weekend the bar is open to one am. Guests often appreciate this.
The front door is closed at 11.00 p.m. and drinkers are asked to use the door at the back of the property and generally disperse there. Should you have stayed longer you would have noticed this. The crowd actually dispersed very quickly on this particular evening, harvest to get in, so early starts the next day.
As to the ear plugs they are not regularly used I would probably have used a box in the last 3 years. It appears that their main advocates are ladies whose husbands may snore. They are added to assist customer comfort not so that we may ignore it.
Colwyn Bay, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We had a lovely stay here as part of an extended family celebration in the village. The room was spacious, clean and the bed comfortable. We were very pleased that our dog was welcome too!

Our arrival and welcome was first rate and we were shown to our room quickly despite the bar being full of thirsty customers. The breakfasts were excellent, a good variety of local, freshly cooked produce without a puddle of grease in sight. Our vegetarian member of the party was very pleased with her vegetarian breakfast and the coffee was plentiful! The staff were also happy to accommodate our shopping from the butcher next door in their fridges so we could take advantage of the village shops.

We were concerned about the comments on noisy evenings but we didn't find noise to be a problem. My suggestion, if you're disturbed by the noise, would be to head down to the bar, enjoy some of the superb local beer, local hospitality and don't worry about it.

Room Tip: Choose the Blue room! (It has the sofa!)
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank DaveWilkins
England, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 6, 2013

We arrived lat afternoon and the bar area was already busy, as said by all other reviews a proper village pub that is used a lot by the locals. Very friendly greeting and our bikes safely locked away. Our room overlooked the square and we were almost part of the conversation taking part below the window. Hence the ear plugs provided ! But fortunately when we went to bed they were not needed. Good Evening meal and the rest of the team were impressed by a pint for £2 I managed to get PG rose blush so I was happy.
A very good breakfast and they managed a boiled egg even though it was not on the menu, nothing seemed too much trouble, this is the way a British B & B should be well done

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Rodney B
Watford, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 12, 2013

First impressions on walking in were mixed. A good, basic, locals pub with clean but slightly tired décor and a very worn bar carpet. However, we got a warm welcome from the bar staff AND the locals, and were shown up to our room. Average size, very clean, comfortable beds, small bathroom with shower.

Back down in the bar we soon forgot our misgivings when we saw the range of real ales on tap. Well-kept beer, and good service. (The draught mild was exceptional!) The evening meals were unpretentious, tasty, and large helpings. We ate in the bar as we had a dog with us (dogs made very welcome), but there is also a small dining room where breakfasts are served. Delicious breakfasts, at that.

Overnight in the Red Room was a bit noisy. Although there are no jukeboxes or noisy gambling machines, on the first two evenings people were in the bar directly below till 1:00am. Above us was staff accommodation. Only problem with that was the noisy floor-boards (it's a very old building). But the beds were comfortable, and the noise was just friendly banter, nothing aggressive, so no real worries. On the last night all was quiet.

So to sum up, the place was friendly, good food and drink, excellent value for money, and only let down by tired décor in the bar. But this IS a local's pub, and as such welcoming to all, and impossible to keep pristine. We will not hesitate to return, but will try to select a quieter room next time.

Room Tip: Best to avoid the Red Room if you want an early, quiet night.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank StephenandRo
WhiteHorseClun, Owner at The White Horse Inn, Rooms, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Thank you for the comments, it would be good to see you again. As I have mentioned in a private email the carpets are at last being renewed on the 2nd of July. Thank go, the current one was an old Trojan and always washed up well, but at 21 years old (so I believe, I have only made 12) it is time to say goodbye.
Jack
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clun
The Castle Hotel
#1 of 1 in Felindre
Old Downton Lodge
Old Downton Lodge
#1 of 1 in Downton on the Rock

Been to The White Horse Inn, Rooms? Share your experiences!