“Extremely overrated - SKIP IT!!”
Review of La Pecora Nera

La Pecora Nera
Ranked #2 of 6 Restaurants in Cocles
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Kids, Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
New York City, New York
“Extremely overrated - SKIP IT!!”
Reviewed April 15, 2014

We read several positive reviews before deciding to give this place a shot. Do NOT waste your time or money. We live in New York and my boyfriend is 100% Italian so we are accustomed to high-quality authentic Italian fare.

We tried several dishes - two appetizers, one pasta, two mains - all disappointing. Service was also a mess.

We heard the owner was out of town in San Jose and when he is away everything supposedly falls apart....well we still paid the high price (relative to other places in Costa Rica) for a sub-par meal -- prices are equivalent to New York City prices

Wouldn't go back - and encourage you not to either - every other meal we had in Puerto Viejo and the surrounding areas was better

Visited April 2014

• Hebrew first
Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, Costa Rica
“Bruscettas and Tuna”
Reviewed April 9, 2014

A beautiful garden, tasty food, good ambiance, friendly staff... all good. Highy recomendable! Try the tuna with the carrot purree... just delicious!

Visited November 2013
Costa Rica
“Good Italian food”
Reviewed April 8, 2014

The restaurant is off the main road, so its nice and quiet. It was very busy when we arrived, so we did have to wait a while but they made up for it with a complimentary entree.

I ordered the seafood pasta which is what I typically order when eating pasta. Although the pasta and seafood were fresh and very tasty, it had an excess of salt which made it very difficult to enjoy.

I mentioned it to the staff but there was no way of fixing the dish, so I ate as much as I could. However, I would consider going back and giving them another try.

Visited March 2014
New York, NY
“Italy in Playa Cocles”
Reviewed April 8, 2014

This restaurant is a great place to dine and the food and ambiance are just what the doctor ordered after a full day of hanging at the beach and also exploring the overall activities in Cocles and Puerto Viejo. This restaurant has the food quality, service and all the warmth of a restaurant anywhere in Milan, Florence, Rome or Sicily. I visited on two occasions during a four day trip so that should tell yo something because their food and service was impeccable.

Visited March 2014
Bellaire
“In my top three in the world.”
Reviewed April 2, 2014

Unless you like treasures, please stay away from this restaurant. It is a jewel in the jungle and one of my top three in the world. It is not for the bargain traveler but for the connoisseur. The owner is a culinary genius...I only ask him to bring my whatever he wants! The lobster and pumpkin ravioli, the local tuna on a bed of carrot mousse, the mariscada...I can go on.
Do not come here in a rush and do not think you are in the US or a fast food joint. Few things can equal the ambiance of the rain on the roof in the evening by the ocean at Pecora Nera. And personally, any bad vibes there only crowd my euphoria so stay away if you're a doubter. I have been going there for years and hope it never ends. I am so lucky to have found this spot near the end of the road....

• Visited March 2014