“disappointed”
Review of Indulgence Spa

Indulgence Spa
Ranked #3 of 5 things to do in Cocles
Reviewed August 31, 2013

After a long day hiking through the rainforest my feet were sore and tired and I wanted a foot treatment. I went over to the spa to try to arrange this but was told the "foot lady" was not there at the time. They stated they would try to call her and hours later I returned and they said she never answered her phone. I said I'd try a chocolate facial instead, I was told the facial woman was busy and to wait 15 minutes for her. I did so and was treated to a glass of fresh juice, which was nice. 15 minutes later I was informed that the woman who does the facials needed to make a trip to town to drop her father off and wouldn't return for at least another 30 minutes. I went back to my room to wait for this one. I finally did get the chocolate facial, which was very relaxing and nice, and she even gave me a peice of the chocolate to eat which was a nice touch. I told her about missing the foot lady and she offered to rub my feet instead of my neck, which came with the massage. It was very nice of her to offer! I enjoyed it. Still disappointed that I never got a foot treatment though and about the long wait times.

La_Costa_de_Papito, Owner at Indulgence Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2013

Apologies again to our customer for the long wait for what was finally a ¨very relaxing and nice¨chocolate facial. Our facial treatments are available for walk in customers ( without an appointment ) but, unfortunately, when this client arrived our attendant had just answered a call concerning a surfing accident her brother had which involved picking him up at the beach and taking him to the clinic for stitches.

Our foot treatments are appointment only. The ¨foot lady¨was not available when we called but , if our customer had indicated she would have liked a later appointment, we certainly could have refreshed her tired and sore feet.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

We set up massages for 3 people and they were there within an hour. Very professional masseuses. My masseuse was Minerva. She clearly explained every step. It was so relaxing. I loved the oil they used on my hair. I only regret that I didn't have time to get a massage ever single day!

Reviewed June 23, 2013

Originally from London, England, I'm very picky about who cuts my (long n curly) hair .. so I was very happy to discover Auxi at Indulgence.

Auxi is great fun, but above all she is a professional, experienced and talented hairdresser .. and she doesn't charge London prices either, which is always a welcome bonus!

Reviewed June 21, 2013

I had and extended stay Puerto this year. I wasn't really sure where to go for hair and waxing. I was so fortunate to find Auxi and her staff at Indulgence spa. A brazilian bikini wax is not always my favorite spa treatment. I felt right at home with Auxi and she did a fabulous job with very minimal discomfort. Auxi also did my color a few times and I actually liked it better than my favorite stylist at home in Los Angeles. Indulgence spa has a great welcoming atmosphere with professional services. Its a gem in the Puerto Viejo area.

Reviewed June 11, 2013 via mobile

Indulgence tries to be a great spa but they are only so so. We had a much better experience at another spa just up the street. For example, both spas give you a foot bath, but the indulgence foot bath is with cold water while the other spa gave us a hot foot bath. We went for a couples massage as we are on our honeymoon. They oil they use is thick & smells strong but not natural (more like perfume which isn't always the best in the jungle/rainforest). They charged $10 extra for "deep tissue" which my husband got & I got "relaxing" which wasn't extra..... Relaxing meant the last 15 mins she just kinda scratched my head, sometimes she just kind of held my head for a minute or two ....Really lame. He didn't have any "deeeeeep" tissue work, just a regular massage. They don't walk on your back like they show in the picture at all. :(

1  Thank RachelGuettler
La_Costa_de_Papito, Owner at Indulgence Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 22, 2013

We were truly sorry that these customers were disappointed and humbly accept the description of their lukewarm experience. Considering all the excellent reviews we have received, excuses will not be made but a brief explanation can be offered.

We were extremely busy that day attending the guests from a wedding party that was staying in our hotel. Our team was engaged in massages and body treatments one after the other that whole day. When this couple came in late and requested a couple's massage we explained that they would have to wait 30 minutes because our masseuses were either occupied or "out of service"( 3 massages in one day is the limit). We brought in two freelance masseuses from outside. These women had requested and completed 'hands on' auditions with us for fill in work but, until this moment, we had never called them. It's very upsetting to learn that they did not provide a special experience (neglecting even to provide our customary warm water foot bath). A valuable learning experience for us at a disappointing cost.

We would be so pleased to have this couple back and be given the chance to provide them, as our guests, with the delicious experience that is our signature service.

Please note that walking on the back cannot be done with a couple's massage because, with the additional massage table, the balancing pole crossing the room is situated between the 2 tables.