“Excellent resort with hosts that helped make our vacation one we will never forget!!”
Review of Caribe Town

and 1 more site!
Caribe Town
Ranked #1 of 8 Cocles B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 20, 2013

My now fiancé and I (story to follow!) had the privilege of staying at Caribe Town for 10 days in late April and I can honestly say it was everything we had hoped for and more! The owners, Jessica and Marc, along with Carlos went above and beyond what was expected to ensure that our stay was perfect from beginning to the end. Here’s our story:

Unbeknownst to my girlfriend at the time, I was secretly planning our engagement to take place at some point during our trip to Costa Rica. After exhausting some resources of my own, I decided to reach out to Jessica and team to see if they would be interested or could help in any way to assist in the planning of the special day. Not only did Jessica agree to help she seemed genuinely excited to be part of our big day. After exchanging emails for almost two months prior to our trip, Jessica and Marc had outlined the most amazing day completely catered to my ideas on how I wanted to pop the question!

The day started out like any other day at Caribe Town, with an awesome breakfast and excellent coffee to energize us for the day ahead. After a pleasant morning rain shower, we set off for a private horse back ride with Bruce at Playa Chiquita Riding Adventures. This turned out to be my fiancés favorite activity of the trip! Once back at Caribe Town we got ready for what I told my girlfriend was a special dinner at the resort. She thought it was “special” because dinner is not something generally offered at Caribe Town. After a quick drink at the bar, we were lead to the beach directly across the street from the resort. This is when my girlfriend really started to get suspicious! Once we got to the beach, she saw the bamboo cabana that Marc had constructed and setup earlier that day. There was a candle lit path on the beach and the cabana was beautifully decorated with more candles and fresh flowers. What followed was an amazing meal prepared by Marc and Jessica with all of my girlfriend’s favorites. If you ever get a chance to enjoy a meal prepared by Marc, do NOT turn it down! Dinner was followed by delicious desserts from Bread and Chocolate in Puerto Viejo and at this point my girlfriend was a nervous wreck waiting for me to ask the question. With Jessica’s help, I had one more surprise setup, FIREWORKS!! Yes, Jessica actually found and arranged a pyrotechnic company to put on a fireworks show on the beach as a backdrop for me to ask the big question. She said yes and it’s a day that neither of use will ever forget!

Its in no way a stretch to say that non of this would have been possible without Jessica, Marc and Carlos’s help! We both felt extremely lucky that not only did we find an amazing gem of a resort in the jungle of Costa Rica but we had the most amazing hosts and left with what we consider friends for life!

Not only will we recommend Caibe Town to all of our friends but anyone reading this review should stop reading now and book a stay with Jessica, Marc and Carlos immediately. You will not regret it!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mark R

Reviewed April 23, 2013

The location was great, but the owners and staff were excellent. Mark, Jessica & Carlos were so helpful and felt like family. Breakfast was made for us daily, coffee waiting as we arrived and they were so helpful in arranging activities and making dinner recommendations and reservations.
The only negative was the bikes kept breaking on us, but made for a laugh :)
We stayed in one of the casas which was so relaxing. We saw toucans and howler monkeys. Loved waking up to the sound of the birds. Right across the street from the beach (which is a little rough) but beautiful. Great location in between cocles beach and punta uva.
Loved my stay there. Carolos is the bomb!!!

Room Tip: casa caribe is excellent
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 20, 2013

This was our third place in Puerto Viejo but we wish we had found it first.
We arrived early in the morning and the owners were very helpful in getting a room ready for us at short notice. They were very friendly throughout our stay and we always felt like welcomed guests, which was a nice change from many other places in Costa Rica.
Our bungalow was comfortable and clean with simple but tasteful decoration.
Breakfast was made by the owner and was great! We had pancakes and French toast with home made maple syrup and pineapple compote.
Considering the price and what else is available in the area, this place is a great choice.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 15, 2013

My wife and I spent 30 days in Casa Gecko, an offsite house managed and next to Caribe Town. I will comment on both Caribe Town and Casa Gecko:

Caribe Town is ideally located in relation to the beach and the nearest town, Puerto Viejo. The walk to the beach takes just a few minutes. Caribe Town is located just West of the road that links Puerto Viejo and Manzanillo. The access road to Caribe Town was improved during our stay, so there is no longer an issue with mud puddles. There are several restaurants and stores nearby. My wife and I used bicycles provided by Caribe Town for transportation (formerly owned by guests, Rick & Peggy, mucho gracias). Riding to Puerto Viejo is easily accomplished, however, I would not recommend riding after dark, due to some aggressive drivers on the roads.

The staff at Caribe Town is first rate! As many have reviewed on TripAdvisor, Carlos, Jessica and Marc are friendly, informative and make every effort to accommodate your comfort and needs. They epitomize the nature and meaning of pura vida. Although we stayed in an offsite casa, we were treated as onsite guests. Our rental did not include breakfasts, but they were delicious, so we paid to eat at the resort on many mornings. Laundry, cleaning and maintenance needs were handled professionally and expeditiously.

Although we booked our house through the previous management company, we believe that we were very fortunate to stay there with Caribe Town managing the property.

Casa Gecko is located approximately 50 meters West, up the road from the Caribe Town Resort. The house is was everything we expected it to be and it was hard to leave. Our favorite things at the house were relaxing in the two hammocks, listening to the surf and playing cards at the downstairs outdoor dining table.

The house is well maintained, clean and modern. There was only two of us, but the house can accommodate many more. We never had a shortage of hot water. The bathrooms are comfortable and clean.

There are only a couple of recommendations I can suggest to make Casa Gecko even better:
- More comfortable mattresses for the upstairs beds. Although not uncomfortable, they are not the quality that many have become accustomed.
- An outdoor ceiling fan over the upstairs deck would be a wonderful addition.

Some have complained about privacy, noise and dogs. We found that privacy was acceptable, the noise was only a distraction on a few days (home improvements at the next house over) and the dogs are not nearly as loud as the birds and howler monkeys.

Overall, I can highly recommend Casa Gecko and Caribe Town. We would not hesitate to stay there again, and likely will.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

I loved the staff here, they were very friendly , informative and accommodating .
The breakfast was served hot, fresh and just as ordered. Having hot coffee out at 7 was a nice service as well. Liked having the kitchen area to use and met lots of wonderful people in the common/pool/ eating area.
Loved the area we were in- especially the chocolate tour, massage/accupuncture with Helen, rafting tour and walks in to town.
Staff at caribe town were really helpful and informative . Set up our rafting trip and then perfect hotel arrangements for trip home.
I would recomend this accomidation for people who are looking for a laid back, authentic experience.
Thanks for a wonderful time !

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We travel with two large dogs and it is difficult to find places that are pet friendly, however Caribbean town allowed us to stay with our dogs. We were here in 2011 for the first time and every time we go to the Caribbean this is the place were we stay.
The customer service is great since the 1st email and they (Carlos. Jessica and Marc) help us schedule our diving activities and land tours.
The bungalows are very nice, the vegetation is spectacular and the security is very good.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Jojocr07
Reviewed April 3, 2013

hi just got back from caribe town costa rica. wish i was still there. my stay at caribe town was great . the help (carlo jessica and marc) were always availabe to meet our needs and went above and beyond no matter of requests.the place was very neat and in great order.i cant wait and will stay with them again in the future.thanks again for a great 3 weeks. pura vida mike

Room Tip: stayed in one of the offsite casas but the help was always there when needed
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cocles
Hotel Banana Azul
Hotel La Costa de Papito
Hotel La Costa de Papito
#3 of 12 in Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Physis Caribbean Bed & Breakfast

Been to Caribe Town? Share your experiences!