My wife and I spent 30 days in Casa Gecko, an offsite house managed and next to Caribe Town. I will comment on both Caribe Town and Casa Gecko:
Caribe Town is ideally located in relation to the beach and the nearest town, Puerto Viejo. The walk to the beach takes just a few minutes. Caribe Town is located just West of the road that links Puerto Viejo and Manzanillo. The access road to Caribe Town was improved during our stay, so there is no longer an issue with mud puddles. There are several restaurants and stores nearby. My wife and I used bicycles provided by Caribe Town for transportation (formerly owned by guests, Rick & Peggy, mucho gracias). Riding to Puerto Viejo is easily accomplished, however, I would not recommend riding after dark, due to some aggressive drivers on the roads.
The staff at Caribe Town is first rate! As many have reviewed on TripAdvisor, Carlos, Jessica and Marc are friendly, informative and make every effort to accommodate your comfort and needs. They epitomize the nature and meaning of pura vida. Although we stayed in an offsite casa, we were treated as onsite guests. Our rental did not include breakfasts, but they were delicious, so we paid to eat at the resort on many mornings. Laundry, cleaning and maintenance needs were handled professionally and expeditiously.
Although we booked our house through the previous management company, we believe that we were very fortunate to stay there with Caribe Town managing the property.
Casa Gecko is located approximately 50 meters West, up the road from the Caribe Town Resort. The house is was everything we expected it to be and it was hard to leave. Our favorite things at the house were relaxing in the two hammocks, listening to the surf and playing cards at the downstairs outdoor dining table.
The house is well maintained, clean and modern. There was only two of us, but the house can accommodate many more. We never had a shortage of hot water. The bathrooms are comfortable and clean.
There are only a couple of recommendations I can suggest to make Casa Gecko even better:
- More comfortable mattresses for the upstairs beds. Although not uncomfortable, they are not the quality that many have become accustomed.
- An outdoor ceiling fan over the upstairs deck would be a wonderful addition.
Some have complained about privacy, noise and dogs. We found that privacy was acceptable, the noise was only a distraction on a few days (home improvements at the next house over) and the dogs are not nearly as loud as the birds and howler monkeys.
Overall, I can highly recommend Casa Gecko and Caribe Town. We would not hesitate to stay there again, and likely will.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Beautiful jungle B&B hotel 150 meters from beautiful Playa Cocles beach with private bungalows or family suite, some with AC. Offsite full home rental options now available. Spa services, bike rentals, tours...Just let us know what you need. Full breakfast included daily with onsite rentals, available to private home rental guests for $5/per person. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your Caribe Town reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Caribe Town Costa Rica/Cocles