Physis Caribbean Bed & Breakfast
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$195
$136
Hotel Yare(Cocles)
$50
  • Restaurant
Hotel La Costa de Papito(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
$88
Cariblue Beach & Jungle Resort(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
$98
$78
  • Breakfast included
Umami Hotel(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
$114
$111
Hotel Escape Caribeno(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
$68
Hotel Boutique Indalo(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)(Great Value!)
$65
Hotel Maritza(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)(Great Value!)
$63
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Breakfast included
Coco Loco Lodge(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
All reviewsb bwelcome drinkcosta ricanice beachesfrench toastrestaurant next doorcommon areasamazing hostsevery morningthe jaguar rescue centeroutdoor showerpunta uvawonderful staypura vidaa short bike ridedelicious breakfastrented bikes
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Our family stayed at Physis Caribbean B&B for 5 nights in July 2013 and it was perfect for us. The grounds are beautifully maintained, the room was cleaner than any other hotel we had stayed at in Costa Rica, and the owners (Emily & Jeremy) were extremely nice and prepared an excellent breakfast every day before we headed out for fun.

Starting with our arrival, there was parking available for our rental car and we were instantly greeted by the owners who had wonderful complimentary "welcome" drinks in hand for us! Just what we needed! :-D We then unpacked our car and were really impressed by the extensive wood and beautiful relaxation spots all around Physis. This included hammocks, benches, and chairs that later in our stay my wife found perfect for catching up on her favorite Kindle book.

We stayed in the separate room near the back and loved how clean the room was, that it had satellite TV (although we only turned it on once), the very well working A/C, stocked mini fridge, and spacious hot shower - especially after coming from our previous hotel in Tortuguero which was very rustic and had no A/C!

The owners helped us with ideas on where to go each day based on how the weather was looking which was nice. We had 4 days of sun and 2 days with some pretty good refreshing rains. My wife and son went zip lining and preferred it to the zip lining we did the previous week near Guanacaste. We also spent ample time at multiple beaches and took along rented snorkel gear and boogie boards from Physis. Or son enjoyed the Jaguar Rescue Center animals and making chocolate and then eating it at the Cocoa Museum and it was nice to be able to rent the 2 beach cruiser bikes with baskets from Physis which we used to explore PV and get snacks at the local grocery store just down the road.

Right next door to Physis is Restaurant Johanna where we conveniently ate dinner and had great CR food. We also enjoyed a few other restaurants around PV and all the meals were very good. Eat at Malbec for an awesome steak dinner!

Puerto Viejo was the last town we stayed in on our 2 week CR vacation and we are so glad we stayed at Physis! We cannot wait to return some day. We will miss the owners Emily & Jeremy and their lovely pets, Gizmo, Vida, and Lucy.

Room Tip: We had the separate room in the back and it was perfect size for the 4 of us with the pullout bed
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Pros: The room is nice( we stayed in both the smaller room and honey moon room and enjoyed both.)
They have bike rentals (although not free or cheap $8 per bike, per person-so also kind of a con)
They have snorkel rental
Passionate owners
Great breakfast!
do laundry on site
clean bathrooms (which was much nicer then anywhere else we stayed)
Great extras, the welcome drink was really nice. '
Pretty good location. You are close enough to walk/cheap taxi to both manzanillo and puerto viejo.
Eco friendly
Friendly/Energetic owners.

Cons
It is a con to me that the owners don't know more about the area. I like to know that I am supporting the local community. They do employ some local people but for me personally it is important that the owners have met some of the indegenous people that have lived their for many years and be able to educate guests about the people in the area.

Room Tip: The honey moon room is nice but if wifi is important to you it actually worked better in the cheaper room. Other then that honestly the rooms were great.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 8, 2013

There are 2 areas that need to be covered when reviewing FooSeas (!) ... 1 is the premises 2 is the host couple. Both are top notch.
Every detail of this B&B has been well thought out and executed. The rooms are equipped with everything you could want for. Internet is fast with great coverage. The showers are hot with good pressure. The bed and pillows are super comfortable. The chill out spaces/common areas are gorgeous and relaxing. You will not find a cleaner, safer place in Puerto Viejo, possibly even Costa Rica.
The hosts Emily and Jeremy are 2 of the nicest people you are likely to meet. They are helpful and present and committed to making your stay a great one. Emily's breakfasts are a delight and Jeremy can assist you with just about anything you can think to ask him. They both provided invaluable advise on anything and everything including transport in and out of PV. I cannot thank them enough for making me feel at home during my stay. I booked for one night and stayed for 10. Book from their website to get the best price. I was there in low season and got a great deal. And speaking of which, Emily was incredibly patient and gracious with my tirade of emails with a million questions! I actually miss them both ... and of course my good friend Lucy the Cat.
All the best to you guys, great job.
ps if there is one tiny thing i would have liked, it would be a little bedside lamp

Room Tip: Rooms 1 and Room 2 are absolutely perfect for one person or for two people who are happy to be in a cosy space together. There are some minor noise issues with these rooms but nothing a light sleeper like myself couldn't handle. If you want more space and dead-quiet then you want Room 3 or Room 4.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 2, 2013

My husband and I had absolutely no idea what to expect when we showed up at Physis in Cocles. Our 9 hour flight from CA, and our 5 hour drive from San Jose, left us exhausted. When we arrived, our hosts, Jeremy and Emily, were live a breath of fresh air. I couldn't believe the grounds once we went through the sliding wooden gates. Amazing. The woodwork, the décor, the plants, the "tropicalness", it was breathtaking. We were there for 2 reasons, to celebrate my 40th birthday, and to bring some medical supplies to the nearby Jaguar Rescue Center. Every recommendation Jeremy and Emily had for food, activities, advice on locals, was completely dead on, every time. We can't say enough about Puerto Viejo, it definitely is a special place, but it would have been NOTHING like the trip we had with out our stay at Physis. Thanks guys, you both made our entire trip!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 29, 2013

We highly recommend the Physis Caribbean Bed & Breakfast at Cocles. Jeremy and Emily gave us a warm welcome with a delicious welcome beverage (definitely have Jeremy mix you one of his margaritas while you are there!). Breakfasts were yummy, we loved the outdoor lounging areas downstairs, and enjoyed cuddling up with Lucy the cat. I definitely would return on a future visit to Costa Rica!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family