“Fantastic B&B”

Ranked #2 of 8 Cocles B&B and Inns
Medicine hat
“Fantastic B&B”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

We stayed with Emily and Jeremy for two nights and were totally impressed with their B&B. It was a great start to our holiday and we enjoyed their hospitality. The facilities, decor, ambiance and most of all the hosts were more than what we expected. Everything was perfect, very friendly and helpful - they couldn't do enough for us. We ended up having some great conversations, shared some meals and thoroughly recommend Emily & Jeremy's B&B to everyone.

Room Tip: The cleanest facilities that we encountered in Costa Rica.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Slovak first
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

When thinking of how to best review Physis (pronounced "fuh-SEES" in case you're wondering) I kept coming back to the old question, "what do you get for the person who has everything?" but for Physis it would be "How to review the place that has already thought of everything?" Although I can't fully encapsulate the love I have for this place, I'll give it my best shot (similar to how Jeremy uses several of his best shots to make the famed "Sleepytime" Physis Margarita - a must have, tasty and very effective)

First - The praise from previous guests heaped on Physis is truly deserved. From the moment we first got in touch with Emily and Jeremy we knew we wouldn't regret our choice of accommodation. Emily responded to our inquiries promptly, arranged our transportation from San Jose to Cocles and back again, and even sent us a picture from her iPhone of a local beach taken that same afternoon that had my wife and I salivating (whilst shivering in a lonely desolate Toronto food court). Fast forward a month and a half, moments after arriving outside Physis and paying the driver, when I hear a cheery "Welcome!" behind me. There standing before me was the ever-smiling Jeremy already holding our bags ready to give us his patented 6-star service and tour. First thing you notice (before even stepping inside) is how immaculate, clean and secure Physis B&B is. Well, the first thing I noticed was Jeremy's massive forearms, friendly demeanor, and a tan that made made my pale skin squeal with both envy and fear).

We met Emily soon after, welcome drinks in hand (as good as everyone says) and her own lovely smile and tan (minus the oak forearms) - truly a power couple if I've ever seen one. We sat down as I greedily gulped my delicious tropical drink and eyed my wife's (she selfishly drank the whole thing) as Jeremy proceeded to lay out just how great of a choice we made in selecting Physis as our home away from home. What to see, where to eat, what to do, what could they do to make our trip perfect, how Physis came to be, surrounding wildlife/plants, the ins and outs of Physis itself, etc.

Sufficed to say, the bar was set high from the moment we arrived and never dropped below outstanding for the whole 13 wonderful days we spent there. Not once.

What truly made Physis stand out for me was the crazy fact that even though we were surrounded by gorgeous beaches, delicious restaurants, and tropical goodness we ended up spending a large majority of our time lounging in their never-leave-me hammocks just reading and relaxing - as the environment of Physis was that good.

Jeremy and Emily are the best hosts one could have asked for, we truly felt like we were saying goodbye to friends when we checkout out on Feb.26th. They live at Physis and really do make their guests feel that their home is your home for the brief time you're there. For the 2 weeks we called it home we literally forgot we already had a place back in Canada! Their 2 dogs Vida and Gizmo are wonderful and are never running around - Gizmo (perfect name) grunts and squeaks in Emily's arms and the ever-friendly Vida was kept tucked away most of the time (as her ever-wagging tail couldn't be trusted in not knocking over drinks). There is also Lucy the sweet cat who sort of comes and goes as she pleases. I am extremely allergic to animals and I didn't have a single issues with the little 4-legged visitors...so no worries whatsoever for you allergy-sufferers.

The Rooms: Because we booked 13 nights we went between 3 of the 4 rooms (2 nights in room #1, 8 in honeymoon, and 3 in #2 if my numbering is correct) and they were all great. The honeymoon suite is more secluded and spacious, but the other rooms were just as good...you won't go wrong whichever is available, honestly. All the rooms have been Jeremy-ized (you'll know what I mean when you get to know him): flat screen TV's with Netflix (great for rainy nights), stocked fridges with a great selection of drinks at superb prices, comfy & clean bedding, awesome washrooms (makes ours at home feel like a dirty hole in the ground) and overall very private and cozy. Air conditioners (rare in the area) keep the heat out when you want, and dehumidifiers keep the rooms from getting musty - they've thought of everything! You won't even realize your room is being cleaned while you have breakfast as Jeremy is like a tornado that leaves only cleanliness in his path - we loved seeing his little personal touches after returning to our room (books left scattered became miniature libraries, toiletries were arranged like silverware at a Michelin-rated restaurant, etc.) Truly great service. They nailed the small stuff that many other places would've skipped.

Man, I am so long-winded but I just truly have only good to say about Physis!

The breakfast - Fruit dishes prepared by the lovely Emily every morning with toast and eggs one day, waffles another, French toast the next, fresh coffee, an assortment of jams, maple syrup with coconut rum...stomach growling yet? All this while surrounded by tropical birds and warm weather! The best way to start the day. Breakfast was a great time to meet other guests as well (often the discussion was a mutual love of Physis)

Although the grounds have the appearance that they are maintained daily by a full staff of professional landscapers - its actually Jeremy and Emily! I often would see Jeremy carefully pruning a plant or giving a haircut to a shrub, or excitedly pointing to a new flower and waving me over to small it or learn about how it grows. This attention to detail is the #1 reason that Physis will never get that tired, needs a good once-over look that so many places eventually get. Emily and Jeremy put the time and effort in day in day out. If the Palace of Versailles ever retains Jeremy's services to maintain their grounds only cries of "Magnifique!" will be heard. If I ever opened a B&B I would follow the Jeremy and Emily 'how-to's' of how to run a B&B to a tee.

I no doubt am forgetting many things but just read all the other reviews and you'll be sold. We were happy to arrive and so very very very sad to leave - the natural emotions of a vacation well spent. Thanks to Emily and Jeremy for a wonderful trip.

Room Tip: Honeymoon suite for "extra" privacy and a bit more space, but all the rooms were great.
4 Thank KenRichMun
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Physis for 13 days – the longest time we’ve ever stayed in one place while traveling. This place is amazing and we didn’t get bored once! Emily and Jeremy are excellent hosts; they make you feel right at home and they both go out of their way to make sure you enjoy your vacation. They’re both well-informed on things to do around the area and they will go out of their way to help you plan your stay in Puerto Viejo. They’re just really nice people; you’ll feel like old friends by the time you leave! (Their dogs are pretty great, too!)

Since we were at Physis for so long, we got to sample nearly every room while we were there, all except room #3. Both rooms 1 & 2 are small, but they are perfectly comfortable and spotlessly clean. (My husband and I both agreed that this is probably the cleanest hotel we’ve ever been in.) Both rooms came equipped with Netflix, which was awesome for the occasional rainy day. We spent the brunt majority of our stay in the honeymoon suite, and I really can’t say enough good things about it. It’s very private and spacious and, once again, spotlessly clean. The shower is pretty amazing, too!

The breakfasts at Physis are nice and healthy. The portion sizes are perfect, the food is really good and the coffee is excellent! Their coconut rum syrup is delicious and the hot sauce Emily makes is amazing; we’ve been trying to replicate it since getting home but with no luck and we miss it!

Overall, Physis was the perfect place to stay! We loved our time there and we will definitely be back in the future.

Warning: Jeremy’s cocktails are awesome, but lightweights be careful. One of his margaritas will knock you out for the night and, in my case, part of the next morning, as well. The man can’t be accused of skimping on alcohol! His cocktails are worth every penny.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great! The honeymoon is the biggest and most private.
4 Thank Elilee
Veenendaal, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights. Wanted to stay more nights, but unfortunately they were fully booked. We came back later that week for one more night, as the place was amazing!

Stayed 2 nights in room 1, 1 night in room 3

Pros:
- owners Jeremy and Emily are the best
- nice chill out zones to relax, even a hammock with tv
- good beds
- everything clean and new
- quiet location, but close to some of the best beaches around puerto viejo (visit punta uva!)
- lots of stuff to rent in good condition (bicycles, snorkelling stuff, body boards etc)
- Jeremy has the coolest car, you really want to drive a block with him (and its fun!). You'll know what I mean when you see it.
- good tv and radio (Bose!) in room where you can plug in your (I)phone
- warm shower
- room 3 has outdoor shower
- great breakfast
- free fastest wifi of whole costa rica and computer and printer also available
- parking places
- nice house pets of the owners, gizmo is the cutest dog!
- safe in room
- nice warm welcome and cold welcome cocktail! We had it twice ! :)

And I can go on and on.. It's an experience, so you need to see and experience it yourself.

Cons:
Absolutely none, they deserve the 5 stars!
Price compared to other places might be a little bit high ($100/ night, highest price we payed during our budget holiday in costs rica), but you get value for your money.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Jacquelinevdhaar
Ithaca, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

Emily and Jeremy have done a phenomenal job on this place. It is beautiful and comfortable for hanging out. Small room, but nice, with A/C. We were only there for one night unfortunately. Emily and Jeremy were so gracious and helpful. They went out of their way to help us out. Location is good. Close to Puerto Viejo.

Porto, Portugal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

As promissed to Jeremy I can not leave comment other than: EXCELLENT!
We really enjoyed the atmosphere in the place, the chill out zone, decoration and positive energy. We stayed in two rooms, the normal double was small but the price is also adequate. We liked more the triple with exterior shower, though our suggestion would be the honeymoon suite cause of it´s privacy.

Jeremy and Emily are excepcional hosts, we were adviced by them where to go, what to visit, where to eat and all the suggestions were VERY good.
Jeremy´s margaritas are THE BEST and now we miss them in Portugal.
The location is nice, we rented the bikes and easilly visited all the surroundings by bike.
The lobster in Johanna´s just next door is unforgettable by it´s quality and price ( 20 $) !
When you stay at Physis you do not need to bother to plan a lot, Jeremy and Emily will easily help you out what to decide to do and see.
Great place to visit Puerto Viejo and surroundings.

Room Tip: Honeymoon suite or the triple with exterior shower if you wish to have more space.
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

This is what you think of when you think of the tropics. A great B & B, beautifully decorated with a lovely garden, hammocks, nice rooms with tropical quilts and art. I loved the outdoor shower, which is very private and very cool If you want a true escape, stay here. The lovely couple that own this place will bend over backwards to make sure you have the best stay possible. I have never felt so taken care of. I almost felt guilty because they will go out of there way to help you anyway they can. The breakfast is great and and we had a great time meeting the other people you were staying there. Walking to town is about 20 min (depending on how quickly you walk) or they will call you a taxi if you wish. There is a great place to eat directly next door and plenty of places near by. They always have suggestions on where to go and what is do. It's very close to the beach and they provide you with beach towels if you need them. Seriously though, this is one of the best places I have ever stayed at.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank blackveggie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cocles
Hotel Banana Azul
#2 of 12 in Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Caribe Town
Caribe Town
#1 of 8 in Cocles

Been to Physis Caribbean Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!