Kinigi Guesthouse
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Kinigi
See available hotels
  • Pool
Hotel Ubumwe(Gisenyi)
  • Restaurant
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsvip roomhot waternational parknice terracemosquito netperfect locationplace to staybudget accommodationstayed for nightsmusanzetreksdormitoryavocadoluxuryrangerregionpower
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 7, 2011

The Kinigi Guesthouse looks amazing from the outisde. Inside the rooms are pretty poor, the walls are in bad condition, the beds are hard and the shower can be pretty poor at times. Meals need to be ordered in advance which is customary in Rwanda, meals are adequate and the waiters are lovely. There is a good room next to the restaurant with a log fire in the middle where you are allowed to dry your clothes next to. However with all of this you wouldn't come here for a week relaxing holiday you'd be here soley for the Gorillas and the location is excellent for that. 5 - 10 minute walk and you are at the HQ ready to go. This is especially helpful when you have to be there at 0700. The staff are friendly and although sometimes don't seem happy they are helpful in times of need and most speak good english. Value for money is questionable as the rooms are about $50 but better to pay in Rwandan francs if you can. Seeing the Gorillas will melt away any bad feelings about staying here.

Room Tip: They are all about the same, quite chilly a bit shabby looking it wouldn't take much to smarten them up. Make sure you check the shower is working first.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 26, 2011

This isn't the type of lodge you look forward to coming back to after a hard trek in Volcanoes National Park. If you're doing several days worth of activities in the park(Gorillas, Golden Monkeys, Bisoke, Dian Fossey etc.), it's nice to come back to a nice, comfortable lodge and unfortunately the room I got at Kinigi was not that.

The beds are pretty hard, the room was cold and the bathroom was quite dingy. The walls of the bathroom were plaster and were cracked and dirty and brought to mind a jail bathroom. Shower broke the first night and didn't quite get repaired so I had to shower under the faucet. I'm giving the lodge 3 stars however because the staff were nice and provided good service and knew us by sight and are doing the best they can with a place that's unfortunately fallen into ill-repair.

One bonus is during the rainy season, you will get muddy on the treks and somehow they know when you return from your hike and they'll come to your room and ask for your boots and pants, and will hand wash and line dry them and bring them back pretty soon after. It's free, but I tipped a few dollars. A very welcome service.

Food's good enough although like many places in Rwanda, there's an hour wait if you're ordering off the menu(one night there was a buffet that mitigated the wait), but the covered patio has a nice view for breakfast in the morning if you can brave the cold.

My trip was part of a package so I don't know how much I paid for the room, so I can't comment on value for money, but the bottom line is, if you're a hardy traveler and can put up with a bit of hardship, Kinigi Guesthouse does the job and is close to the main ranger station.

Room Tip: There's a "VIP" room that's not much extra but I don't know what extras it offers as I did not stay in it.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank quoeratdemonstrandum
Reviewed August 10, 2011

Hotel is located conveniently close to the park where Gorilla and other Treks begin. The property is lush and beautiful. However, I had these main issues:
1. The bathroom was so dirty (specifically moldy) it was downright unsanitary. I'm a pretty flexible person and adjust to the local environment/expectations. I just came for volunteer quarters in Ghana where I was sharing a bathroom with 6 others....it was worse than this!
2. The TV in the dining area was always on and very loud. And not cool Mountain Gorilla, get excited for your adventure programming....soap-opera style garbage. The staff refused to turn it off.
3. A staff member offered to clean my boots (for an expected tip) after hiking the volcano, but what she did was hose them off, getting the inside of my waterproof boots wet.

I woudn't expect you find much better in the area but maybe this will help you be prepared.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 16, 2011

The rooms are basic but a reasonable size. The garden is lovely and the staff helpful with a nice open fire sitting area. It is good value for money, normally places like this close to a major tourist attraction hike up the prices but not so at Kinigi.
Our only gripe was with the driver they arranged for us. As we don’t speak Swahili or French we found communication impossible and he also ripped us off. After agreeing to pay $80 to be taken to and from the gorillas at the end of the day when we paid him he said he didn’t have change. We said that is ok it can come off the cost for you to take us to town tomorrow. After dropping us off at the bus stop the following day he refused to give us our change back. He found someone who spoke English to inform us that the money he owed us was a tip so we wouldn’t be getting it back! Surely the tip is our choice, he had done very, very well out of us over the three days.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 29, 2011

I have to agree with the review below me....it's not extravagant but you can't beat the location for gorilla trekking. The staff were all very friendly and accommodating and I was happy to support survivors of the genocide by staying there.

We stayed for two nights before our golden monkey trekking and gorilla trekking. We did the golden monkey trekking the first day and then drove up to the Virunga Lodge (overlooking Lakes Ruhondo and Bulera). It was well worth the drive and a nice way to spend the afternoon (you will need a good 4X4 vehicle to get there).

The rooms were the nicest I've seen but clean and roomy. The bathroom was pretty beaten up but again clean. All in all, not a room you want to spend a tonne of time in but you have to take into account the location.

The hotel is literally a 5 min. walk from the park headquarters. The grounds are very nice and lush with great views of the surrounding volcanoes.

The food was on par with the food we had throughout our trip in Africa...definitely not anything I was super excited about but well prepared and lots of it.

All in all, for modest accommodations (there are way more expensive options) nearby to gorilla trekking you can't go wrong, just don't expect luxury.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple