“Excellent spot to decompress.”
The loggia The kitchen
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
Excellent
The loggia
The kitchen
The lounge area in the bedroom
The bathroom
Casina di Rosa
The Loggia
The fireplace in the kitchen
Our towels
The village square
Casina di Rosa
Pretty summer countryside
The bedroom
Our lavender and the staircase
The loggia
View from the village
Arriving
Summer colours in the Tuscan countryside
The Abbey by the village
The IPod Dock Station
Hay bales
Our flowers
Lavender in Bloom
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
WalkTheDo...
Brooklyn, New York
“Excellent spot to decompress.”
Reviewed November 18, 2013 for a stay in November 2013
people found this review helpful

After a week in Rome and Florence, Civatella Marittima was like a few days off in upstate NY. It's a very old hilltop town that's somewhat of a ghost town during the week. My assumption was that it's popular as a weekend vacation home town with Italians who want to avoid the tour bus crowds. But I could be completely wrong about that.

We met Marcel (who is a pleasant Canadian so no language issues) at a cafe at the roundabout into CM and he led us up the hill to Casina di Rosa about three minutes away. He gave us a tour of the place, showed us how things worked and left us alone with a well-organized binder of things to do in the area. We were given his and Gloria's cell numbers in case there were problems. Other than us accidentally disconnecting the modem for the sat TV, we had no reason to bother them.

The cottage is lovely and spacious and was obviously renovated with care to provide modern amenities like a convection oven and split-unit HVAC.

We're NYC folk so the town of CM was a little quiet for us. There's not much to it other than the excellent Laconda restaurant and a few small shops but that didn't matter because we intended to use it as a convenient base to explore Tuscany. You'll probably be visiting the amazing mountains, historic towns and shoreline near Civitella Marittima. I should mention that unless you intend to catch up on your reading it would probably be a mistake not to come with a rental car. I don't know if it's impossible to get around using 100% public transportation (i.e. buses). I just wouldn't want to try it.

If you bring a car, Gloria and Marcel have made parking arrangements a block away from the cottage. It's down a steep and rutted driveway and you might come home on weekends to find someone parked in your space (we did). But it was no problem parking on the road on those two nights.

Because I'm a techie on 24/7 emergency contact, I was initially concerned by older comments here about the broadband but they're moot. The wifi was the best we had in Italy and with enough bandwidth to watch Netflix*. Before I get flack for watching movies on vacation, the only American language TV available there is CNN Int'l and Bloomberg and you will likely be spending at least one rainy evening in CM.

Marcel started us off with a couple of days' worth of firewood for the fireplace, which was terrific. However, make sure to spend a few minutes during daylight collecting kindling and acquiring firewood for the rest of the week.

There's a washing machine, which has an incredibly long cycle, but no clothes dryer. There's a clothes line outside and a folding rack for indoors. Plan for clothes to take as long as 24 hours to dry on humid, overcast days. Pay attention to Marcel's instructions for resetting the breakers. We accidentally tripped the main while the washer was in use and the electric oven was heating up. It only happened once and we were back up in a few seconds.

As for things to do while there, my favorite roadtrip experience of my life was driving the provincial backroads from Montalcino to Montepulciano via San Quirico D'Orcia. Do NOT miss this. Just try to be off these roads before dark because they're challenging without much room for error.

Google Navigator turned out to be the best GPS for the region. My Garmin was practically useless in Italy. Some US cell carriers provide free 3/2G in foreign counties (mine, which begins with a "T-", does) and coverage was very good, even in the mountains.

There are all the basic supplies for cooking, including oil and spices, and there's a large "Coop" supermarket just off the north Paganico exit on 223. Navigator really proved its worth navigating those streets to get to it.

We booked for a week but left after five days because my girlfriend really wanted to visit Pisa, a town she'd written about for the travel mags but had never actually visited.

The only disappointment of the week was that the national park we wanted to hike (Parco Naturale de Maremma) closed for the season a few days before we got there. But it gave us the opportunity to visit some of the shoreline towns we probably wouldn't have seen otherwise.

* The trick with watching Netflix in Europe using an American account is to use a proxy DNS server. You can Google the details for setting this up, or ping me.

Traveling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Canada
Reviewed November 1, 2013 for a stay in September 2013
people found this review helpful

NY
Reviewed October 23, 2013 for a stay in October 2013

Recommended for:
A romantic getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers Luxury-minded travelers

SD USA
Reviewed June 22, 2013 for a stay in June 2013

Neveus
Emery, South Dakota, USA
“A Place That Is Pure Magic”
Reviewed June 15, 2013 for a stay in June 2013

Casina di Rosa is not just a place to stay in beautiful Southern Tuscany, it and the small hilltop village of Civitella Marittima are truly pure magic. When you stay here, you will have an experience that you will not forget. We spent two weeks here and celebrated our 50th wedding anniversary. The owners of the property and many of the residents of Civitella have become true friends that we shall hold close to our hearts forever.
The home was very warm and felt like our home every day when we returned from exploring the beautiful Tuscan countryside. This is a very good location to visit some of the most memorable places you will ever travel to. There are wineries, abbeys, fruit and olive orchards and thermal springs. For us, some of our fondest memories will come from the small villages that very few tourists have ever even found. Just pick a dot on the map and go there and you will see.
Casina di Rosa is not just a house to stay at, it is a true romantic Tuscan experience. But, don't tell anyone; it will be our secret.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The owners Gloria and Marcel Gordon and the people of Civitella Marittima
Liked least: Having to leave after two weeks of being here
Traveling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Friends getaway Older travelers
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing