We booked 3 nights here but ended up staying 4 as part of our 2 week trip coming down from Bangkok. The owner arranged private taxi collection for us saving us money on the non metered, inflated Phuket taxi prices. We opted for a room with no balcony being as we felt we would be out most of the time and only use the room for sleeping. It was big and comfortable as were the other rooms. The restaurant downstairs was probably the best value in town as, as a resident you get 15% off and you get a basic breakfast for free although for 50 Baht you get eggs, bacon etc.
The owner Terje (Norwegian) was incredibly friendly and helpful and seemed to run the place very efficiently. We also rented a moped for 250 Baht from him, making a trip to the Big Buddha cheap and fun.
The beach is a good 10+ minutes walk down some slightly grubby path but was lovely.
It's easy to say 'everyone book this' but if you have the funds and want to make the most of your short break you may find you miss having a pool to jump in to or the beach a little closer, which is something we looked for in our next couple of stops (not in Kata)...
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Southern Fried Rice is a recently established guesthouse situated at Kata Beach, the most beautiful beach on Thailand's idyllic Phuket Island. Moments from the beach, and featuring spacious, clean, comfortable rooms, modern en-suite bathrooms, outstanding Thai and international cuisine, free wi-fi high speed internet and many more attractions, Southern Fried Rice is the ideal hostel from which to explore Phuket. We have PC stations in our property and it is Free of Charge as well. There is a top quality pool table, 42' plasma TV screen with surround sound and a computerized sound system with all your favourite music. For intellectual stimulation we are hosting the Phuket Chess Club, with frequent blitz tournaments and we are planning regular Thai language lessons. There is access to Kata Day Spa, and a great variety of nightlife available within walking distance of the guesthouse. We also hire out motorcycles for the more adventurous to range out over Thailand's biggest island. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, Agoda and HostelWorld so you can book your Southern Fried Rice reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Southern Fried Rice Hotel Kata Beach
- Southern Fried Rice Phuket/Kata Beach