“Perfect for a diver and non diving spouse”
Review of Phuket Scuba Club

Phuket Scuba Club
Ranked #6 of 13 Tours in Kata Beach
More attraction details
Owner description: PADI 5 Star Center specializing in diver education, daily dive tours, private charters and Liveaboard Cruises. Club is the emphasis of our operation. Personalised service, professional diver education and Divmaster services. We can also assist with arranging accommodation located closely to both of our shops in Kata and Karon.
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed December 24, 2009

Both my wife and I were made to feel very comfortable straight away. The main shop has a very good atmosphere were people get together at the end of the day to swap diving stories. Some great tips for traveling around Phuket non diving related can also be picked up.

As a scuba instructor visiting Phuket I found the the local dive sites such as Koh Pu really nice. A nice change from my regular dive sites. We are going to give Racha Yai a try in a few days.

If you are trying scuba for the first time or need a review this is a great place to visit. Courses are taught right off the beach and that really helps new divers gain essential confidence right away.

Thank you Chantal & Kevan for a great holiday. Hope to see you next December as well.

Arizona (Steve)

3  Thank Arizona_Scuba1
There are newer reviews for Phuket Scuba Club

Reviewed December 17, 2009

First of all, we totally loved our diving experience with PSC! My partner and I decided to take up an OW dive course with PSC after considering all the positive reviews on Tripadvisor; and we couldn’t be happier with how things have turned out as the learning and diving experience with PSC was the most enjoyable part of our Phuket trip. My partner has done the OW course before few years back in Egypt but we decided to this together as I was rather panicky being a first-time diver. With the help of PSC – particularly our instructor: Rachel, we are now certified OW divers and we dive with confidence! My partner too had a minor problem with taking off the mask underwater but he made it through with Rachel’s professional guidance. We especially enjoyed PSC’s laid-back and friendly environment that makes it even more pleasurable to dive with them. Chantal, Kevin, Rachel, Simon, Mike and the rest were such a bunch of friendly and lovely people! Ohh did we mention we are going back to Phuket in a week time to dive with PSC.. again? Yes we have been missing PSC and decided to visit them again for Xmas.. And this time we are bringing another couple of dive buddies with us!

P/S: Thanks to Chantal for helping us in arranging the accommodations

2  Thank Thomari
Reviewed December 9, 2009

We chose Phuket Scuba Club because friends of ours had recommended them when they went on a trip earlier in the year. I dive all the time in Australia (and am a padi diving instructor) so wasnt your average tourist, i basically just needed the gear and to be told the best spots. I was really happy with the service Chantal and co offered. They had everything i needed and gave good advice on places to see, places to avoid, and the gear was good quality. Would recommend them to others.

2  Thank happydaysinlove
Reviewed December 8, 2009

Just back from another great trip to Phuket ( 4th this year) and our 3rd time diving with Phuket Scuba Club. We have now booked several day trips and a liveaboard ( The Junk was fantastic!!) with them as well as participating in a longtail dive off Kata Beach. Each time we have rented equipment through PSC.. ( BCD & Regulator only as we own the other kit) and it was in good solid working condition. The only facet of their operation I cannot comment on is classes, as were already certified- but if I had to do it again I would happily do my courses there. I couldn't be more pleased with the service provided by Kevan, Chantal , Rachel et al.. I have reviewed them before but felt after this last trip that they deserved another shout out . Its rare in the tourism industry, especially in SE Asia, to find a business where the owners treat you more like friends than income. I would recommend anyone to dive with them.

2  Thank melosh
Reviewed October 14, 2009

My wife and I were attracted to Phuket Scuba Club by all the recommendations on tripadvisor, but when we arrived we were disappointed by the quality of their rental equipment and lack of availability in small sizes for my wife (she's size XS and 35 shoes). When my wife tried on their wet suits and fins, she did not feel that they fit her well. However, the staff suggested that the torn and ragged wetsuits fit fine, even though they were obviously too bulky. They even suggested she use tiny little kids fins for scuba diving to 30m depths, since those were the only fins that fit her small foot properly! When we expressed an interest in exploring other dive shops for rental equipment, they tried to talk us out of it, saying that all dive shops in the area have the same rental equipment. We politely doubted this suggestion, and later discovered it to be completely false! In fact, the quality of rental equipment is basically the only thing that differentiates dive shops on the street, since they all outsource the actual dive excursions to the same set of operators. All these scuba retailers also charge about the same for their excursions, so really the only service they provide is RENTAL EQUIPMENT! I'm extremely disappointed in Phuket Scuba Club. I can understand if their rental equipment is inferrior, but their dishonesty is inexccusable.

9  Thank jklfdsalkj
Ring0, Owner at Phuket Scuba Club, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2009

Greetings,
I read your review a couple of days ago and on second thoughts I have now decided that your review deserves a response from me as part owner of Phuket Scuba Club. The main reason for my response is that there are inconsistencies in your and our accounts. Whilst we value constructive criticism we cannot accept without comment, some of your claims which we find to be unnecessarily inflammatory.

Firstly I would like to ask you why you personally were satisfied with our equipment if it was so inferior? If you remember correctly your equipment was already packed for you before our Instructor starting to pack your wife’s equipment.

Secondly your wife tried on numerous small size wetsuits and not one of them are torn to shreds as you claim. We cater for standard sizes ranging from XXS, XS, S, M, L, XL and XXL. Petite ladies with curves often have problems fitting perfectly into standard size wetsuits. I highly recommend that your wife has 1 specifically tailor made for her. This way you can be assured that you will have no problems in the future. Your own personal equipment will always fit better than rental equipment.

With regards to the fins admittedly we were out of the extreme smaller sizes on that particular evening. However your wife was most certainly not given “kids fins” to scuba dive. The forum rules here do not allow me to post a promotional link but I suggest that you do a Google and look up US Divers and check out their Blast fin range. You will see that US Divers is a well established and reputable International Dive Supplier. The Blast fins is one of the relatively newer products and is used by scuba divers and snorkellers all over the world. In fact 1 of our Instructors swears by them.

Also we would never suggest novice divers should dive to 30 meters let alone in "kids fins".

Finally you accused our staff of being dishonest by claiming that the equipment is the same all over. The fact is there are 2 dominant Dive Supply outlets here on Phuket which supply all the operators here. The only difference is that there are various brands which are favoured by some. The actual choice of words to you was that there is a chance that the equipment was the same at other centers. We know this well, as we have to mark all of our equipment to ensure that it is not returned to a competitor by mistake. Most of the Dive Centers do carry exactly the same wetsuits as there is currently a special deal by our major supplier.

Also I would like to correct you in your assessment that “all scuba retailers are the same offering the same dive excursions with the same set of operators”. This is not entirely true, you have based this assessment on only 1 tour that we offered you. Only in some cases do we offer the same trips such as the Phi Phi Overnight cruise due to its popularity and good value for money. Apart from that we also offer other daytrips, Liveaboard cruises local beach and boat dives (we are 1 of only 4 operators on Phuket who offer these local tours). More importantly we specialize in PADI and SSI diver education.

On a more positive note I can say that our staff found that you in particular were pleasant to deal with. Other than that no benefit would come from any further comment. Except that I am sure you will agree no matter where you come from in the world and no matter where you travel to – it costs nothing to be polite and civil. Everybody deserves to be treated considerately.

By the way, congratulations on passing your Advanced Courses. Safe diving and leave only bubbles!