“Amazing place and wonderful people”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Phuket Scuba Club

Phuket Scuba Club
Ranked #6 of 13 Tours in Kata Beach
More attraction details
Owner description: PADI 5 Star Center specializing in diver education, daily dive tours, private charters and Liveaboard Cruises. Club is the emphasis of our operation. Personalised service, professional diver education and Divmaster services. We can also assist with arranging accommodation located closely to both of our shops in Kata and Karon.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage
Kuopio, Finland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing place and wonderful people”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2014

Before my vacation to Thailand I had never done scuba diving before. Now I don’t know how could I live without it and all credits of it goes to Phuket Scuba Club. During my 2 weeks vacation I spent almost half of it with PSC and I loved every moment. I did Discover scuba diving, Open Water Course and 3 fun dives. Best thing about this place is that the owners and the workers truly care about you. For them you are not just another customer. They listen your wishes and do all they can so you could have the best diving experience as possible. The atmosphere is so welcoming and I really enjoyed all my dives with PSC: dives from the Karon Beach, Racha Yai trip and Longtail Boat Dive. These people also showed me that you can really have a job you truly love. All I can say is BIG thank you Chantal, Kevan and especially Devon(best instructor you can have) making me love diving. I have so many great diving memories to share now. I can’t wait to come back and dive more with you guys!

1 Thank henriikkahujanen
Ring0, Owner at Phuket Scuba Club, responded to this review, May 1, 2014
Thank you so much for your positive review. It was an absolute pleasure meeting you and your father and we are thrilled that you enjoyed your diving course with us. According to Devon you did particularly well on your course. Looking forward to seeing you again next year. Take care and regards from all of us to you and your dad. :-)
Chantal.

Oskarshamn, Sweden
“Diving club”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2014

THE place to go when in Karon/Kata beach and want to dive. The nicest people around,helpful and very skillfull in setting you up with divetrips or learning to dive. Been there before and will keep coming back...

1 Thank Jens C
Perth, Australia
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 113 helpful votes
“Great value scuba with some awesome sights”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2014

We did the day trip with 3 dives with PSC. The dive sites were: Doc Mai, King Cruiser and Shark Point. All were really good, the fish life is amazing, the vis was OK, about 10-15m, but we have not seen so much smaller fish in such concentration before. The boat was nice and big and very well run with an English tour manager. Small groups of up to 4 per dive master were really good. Lunch was a delicious Thai buffet meal served on the top deck. Very happy with the quality of rental gear also. Thanks to Kevin for recommending these dives, we had a great day.

1 Thank Megan K
London
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Phuket Scuba Club – experienced team to a welcoming dive community”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2014

PSC has two locations: the main shop on the road, and the beach dive shop. The two shops are operated by a couple, Kevan and Chantal. The beach shop is used primarily for beach and longboat dives, and running the various PADI courses: as far as I am aware there is Open Water through Dive Master Training, and all specialities in between.

The name Club is clearly deliberate; there are informal nightly meets in the evening for ‘members’. Conversation is broad and direct, and I felt very welcome immediately at the shop/club. People who walk into either shop to haggle over the price of a snorkel or dive trip will probably not get the best results as the shop is aimed at people who love diving, or want to experience it through structured learning.

I had traveled to Phuket to get myself on a liveboard to head out to the Similan Islands after being disappointed with the visibility and dive sites on Koh Tao. I entered the main shop and described what I was looking for to Kevan, who took me through the options available from functional (i.e. achieve the aim of getting out on a boat that you stay on and diving the big name sites), recommended for my needs/time scales (a dedicated liveaboard where you depart and stay with the same group of people), to luxury top end. I received clear information, and honest answers to any questions including downsides of each option. At no point was there a hard-sell. I made my decision, and got exactly what had been described. By the time I left the shop on my initial visit, I had enjoyed a beer over lunch in the restaurant next door, been given a book to read, water for my room, accommodation recommendation and introduction, and an invite for a drink that evening with the current class/staff.

In addition to the usual Dive Shop items for sales, the options on offer that I saw are:
1) Shore dive from beach shop. A great little house reef at no more than 10m to get out and explore at length. Good visibility and the treat of walking straight in off the beach. Varied geology and a lot of small to medium marine life
2) Longtail dives – a ride from the shop on a boat to alternative sites nearby for exploration. Depending on experience, mine was with a friendly local Dive Master who let me lead and explore before navigating back to boat
3) Courses – usual array of PADI courses, run by the house instructors. I did Enriched Air course to kill a day and broaden experience and was pleased. Run from house reef/long tails/and day trips below.
4) Day trips – further afield dive sites which are more interesting and rich than the longtail sites. These are not strictly run by PSC, places are booked onto the boats which are operated under license by specific companies.
5) Liveaboards – the full monty. Depart and live on the boat. Again, these are places that are booked by PSC on other companies boats, as is the standard around Phuket.

The benefit of using PSC for booking Day trips and Liveboards are twofold; independence and experience. You get a recommendation of what is right for you and not pushed in one direction, and with other 40 years in the diving industry – the contacts and knowledge is superb.

I greatly enjoyed my experience with PSC, and fully expect to return. There is true community spirit and honesty/frankness and true openness that makes you feel very welcome. This was demonstrated repeatedly, but two examples I can cite include: the engineer/technician taking more than an hour out of his day to fix the hinge on my laptop, and when I asked for a pub showing the rugby, received an invite to watch instead of directions.

1 Thank MickeyKav
Singapore, Singapore
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best diving instructors ever.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2014

The title of my review says it all. My friends and I (all six of us) discovered Phuket Scuba Club, which was the focal point of our dive holiday. First and foremost, it was great that they could accommodate all of us, who had varying scuba diving experiences. Three of us (including me) took our open water course with Devon, while another friend did her advanced open water with Nina and the rest hung around for fun dives.

But let's talk about the instructors.

My instructor, Devon, has been exemplary. Throughout my four days with him, he has continuously hammered all the fundamentals of diving into my head. Thanks for telling us that Bruce Willis Ruins All Films. It's still in my head.

Phuket Scuba Club also ensured that my sister had one-on-one lessons with another instructor Simon after she had problems equalizing. That's really thoughtful and she managed to get her open water certification! Hooray!

And also a shout-out to Nina, who towed my friend back at Shark Point after she got really tired.
She called Nina the best diving instructor ever!

Great instructors and company makes diving a blast!

Thanks!