“Life Savers”
Review of Phuket Scuba Club

Phuket Scuba Club
Ranked #6 of 13 Tours in Kata Beach
More attraction details
Owner description: PADI 5 Star Center specializing in diver education, daily dive tours, private charters and Liveaboard Cruises. Club is the emphasis of our operation. Personalised service, professional diver education and Divmaster services. We can also assist with arranging accommodation located closely to both of our shops in Kata and Karon.
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Bathroom facilities
Los Angeles, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Life Savers”
Reviewed September 7, 2012

We visited Phuket a little less than a month ago. I am a very avid diver as is my girlfriend, but she has only a handful of dives under her belt. We stayed across the street at the Boat House and wandered in and met Kevan. He immediately gave us both a great feeling about their operation. Up until this point, because my girlfriend is a new diver, she was still slightly nervous about diving all the way out in Thailand. But we went forward and booked out trip to Racha Yai. The next days diving was average at best, but still a great operation. But Racha Yai provided the perfect dive to get wet again after not diving for nearly a year. Two days later we came back for more and decided to do the more difficult dives at Shark Point, King Crusier Wreck, and Koh Doc Mai. These dives were exceptional. Visibility was incredible, and the girl (my girlfriend) who was a beginner diver two days before was navigating wrecks and drift dives like she'd done it all her life.

Now to the real story.

After an exceptional day of diving, we returned to our hotel and my girlfriend started complaining of blurry vision and sore legs. Naturally I shrugged off that it could be serious, but by the minute her conditions worsened and I quickly confirmed that she had the bends. A diver's nightmare. Without any other solution half-way across the world, I immediately called Kevan back at the dive shop. We rushed back to the dive shop and Kevan immediately put her on Oxygen, but it was very clear to him that she would have to go to the hospital. Throughout the entire ordeal, Kevan and Chantal were still as calm and collected as he was the day we walked in his door. And despite the horrible situation we were going through, we both still felt safe. Kevan quickly organized a cab for us to SSS Hyperbaric and spent the next 24 hours in and out of the chamber.
Now, as I stated earlier, this was an absolute nightmare. But this is by no means a negative review. The bends happen for a number of reasons, but I can say with all certainty after diving for nearly 15 years that our dive was very normal. Our dive masters were top notch and paid special attention to my girlfriend given that she was a beginner. This review is a raving positive because without the compassion and quick decision making from Kevan, we would probably still be navigating the admittance forms in some Thai hospital.

Despite the awful experience, which in no way shape or form represents the professional operation that Kevan and Chantal run, I would go back to Phuket Scuba Club any day.

We owe you our lives Kevan and Chantal
Sincere regards,

Michael and Deena

4 Thank MichaelwGregory
Ring0, Owner at Phuket Scuba Club, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write such a glowing review. We really appreciate it! Also many thanks for your lovely card....it is now on display on our Wall of Fame. We hope to see you both back at the club someday soon again.

Very warm regards from us.

Dubai, UAE
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Always a pleasure”
Reviewed August 24, 2012

It was an absolute pleasure to be back in Kata with Phuket Scuba Club having been diving with them on and off for 14 years now. They are without doubt the most professional set up on the island, with instructors and staff who really know their business and focus on the customer and their needs - whatever the level. The fact it was low season and they were running 8 Open Water courses as well as numerous pleasure dives when I was there, is a testament to their excellent reputation.
It is always a pleasure to catch up with Kevan and Chantal and this was no exception - the personal touch they add makes all the difference whether it's new guests or old friends. They are now located just up the road from their old shop and it looks like the new bar and restaurant next door will be real club asset
Looking forward to the next time - our daughter Emily is nearly old enough for her first Discover Scuba Dive!

2 Thank stingalert
Ring0, Owner at Phuket Scuba Club, responded to this review, August 25, 2012
It was so great to see you again. Not only are you 1 of our favourite customers but you have become a very treasured friend. Looking forward to introducing your daughter to the beautiful underwater world. See you soon again!
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great experience!”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

From the moment we booked our trip Phuket we knew we wanted try scuba diving... we decided to go with Phuket Scuba Club after reading so many good reviews on TA and Im glad we did.

I was a first time diver( and can I say very very nervous one) and if it wouldnt be for our amazing instructor Alexia I woud probably never want to do let alone hear about scuba diving again. She was so patient and help me every step of the way and thanks to her I had the best time ever.

Everything was well organised and proffesional and my boyfriend and I will def be doing Open Water course as we loved it so much. And if it wouldnt be for the helpful and freindly staff at PSC I probably woudlnt even finish my first dive.

Thank you all at the club, we had a great experience!

1 Thank Veronika650
Ring0, Owner at Phuket Scuba Club, responded to this review, August 25, 2012
So glad that you enjoyed your first journey underwater! Also thank you very much for the lovely compliments, Alexia is a really good instructor. Hope to see you back diving with the club again ;-)
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Simply excellent!”
Reviewed July 5, 2012

Did a last minute booking for our Advance Open Water. Chantal was very accommodating to ensure that everything was well arranged. Per, our instructor was very kind and helpful. The sea was a bit choppy and having to read on the boat made me unwell. He had the patience of an angel in making sure that I was fit before every dive. After 2 days with Per and getting our AOW, I'm confident that we'll do well in our future dives. Chantal and Kevan gave us a great feeling of accomplishment when we all had a drink to celebrate our AOW. I don't usually give reviews, but this one was definitely something I had to do. It was simply excellent!

Visited June 2012
1 Thank Cathss_D
, Owner at Phuket Scuba Club, responded to this review, July 12, 2012
Congratulations on becoming a Happy PADI Advanced Diver :-) It was a pleasure meeting you and thank you so much for your great review here on Tripadvisor. We truly appreciate it!

Par is a great Instructor and we are so pleased that you enjoyed your course with him. Also thank you so much for coming to dive with us at the club and we hope to see you back here soon again.

Regards from all at the club and in the meantime wishing you some very enjoyable safe diving!
Elanora, Australia
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Excellent Experience”
Reviewed June 2, 2012

What a fantastic experience!

This was the highlight of our last trip to Phuket.

Being first time divers we were naturally a little nervous, but with the experience of all the professional diving instructors at Phuket Scuba Club we overcome our fears and had an absolute ball.

I would also like to thank Chantal and Kevan for their warm and friendly hospitality and assistance on helping us find a doctor for our son who was suffering from an ear problem from flying.

Without their assistance he wouldn't of been well enough to go diving at all, but thankfully the ear cleared up in time for at least one dive.

Since returning back to Australia our son has continued to dive every week, and has nearly completed his open water dive course, but can't wait to return to Phuket to explore other courses that are available with Phuket Scuba Club.

We did the Discover Scuba Diving course off Karon Beach and would definitely recommend anyone wanting to go scuba diving in Phuket to contact Chantal & Kevan at Phuket Scuba Club.

Not only is this club professionally run they make diving a fun experience.

Visited April 2012
1 Thank JPGB
, Owner at Phuket Scuba Club, responded to this review, July 12, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our dive club. It is because of people like you that we received a Certificate of Excellence with a lovely letter from Tripadvisor.

Otherwise it was wonderful meeting you guys and we are thrilled to hear that your son has continued with his diving. We will never forget the day he came up from his first dive - his smile said it all :-) This is what makes our job so rewarding!