I stayed at this hotel 9 years or so ago when it was rather new, and again now (writing this on the last night of our stay). Overall a pleasant stay but I feel compelled to note some negative points given that this hotel is supposed to be 4-star.
First, the positives:
- the hotel is situated atop a hill with fantastic views of the sea from lobby, restaurant, pool and rooms, if you get a sea view room
- rooms are huge for the price point we paid (145 sqm with huge living room, balcony which extends across the bedroom and living room, kitchenette and 2 washrooms, plus a separate rainshower and jacuzzi)
- room and furniture are clean and well maintained mostly (read the negatives below)
- decent buffet breakfast included with eggs cooked to order, though breakfast items are limited
- WIFI strong and fast throughout the hotel
- the product has not been changed much from day 1 till now. I am not sure when the last refurbishment of rooms was, but there are some serious issues:
- the door separating our room from the next room at the balcony was broken - on a couple of days when there was strong winds, the door opened up due to the broken latches, which looks like they have been broken for a long time. This is a simple engineering task of fixing broken latches... not sure why it has not been fixed.
- TV is the old CRT type, not LCD, though we are not here to watch TV but goes to show that the rooms need updating.
- Jacuzzi is old and had stains and cracks here and there. Needs urgent refurbishment there. We didn't use it cos it doesn't look bright and clean and we are quite particular about this.
- Perhaps a design flaw - the door separating our room and the next room is a little thin and we can hear clearly what people next door are saying/doing. Not that big an issue since our room is huge and we don't really talk loudly ourselves.
- Breakfast - at the eggs station, the menu stated items like "apple wood smoked bacon", "cumberland sausages", etc. But the sausages were Thai sausages sold at streetside stalls and bacon was just regular bacon... not complaining much about it because the taste was good anyway.
- ceiling fan in the BR not working (there is already AC in the room anyway)
- housekeeping is not very good. On one day, they missed out replacing the towels. On another, they left some used towels in the bathroom.
After all these negative points we still enjoyed our stay very much and the room overall is still great and good value because of the size and view and comfort. But we will not return again until the product/rooms are refurbished and issues above fixed. There's just so many options of newer and good hotels in Phuket to choose from. Though I must say few would have the dramatic views that Aspasia can provide.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Recently created in the south of the island of Phuket, The Aspasia is a stylish boutique resort reflecting an unusual retro-deco design with hints of Mayan style architecture. The muted yellow and green hues of the buildings blend exotically with the colours of the lush forest that sweeps down to Kata Beach. Each secluded apartment has stunning sea views, and guests only have a two minute walk to the white, sandy beach below.With the accent firmly lying on tranquility, comfort and contemporary style, The Aspasia Phuket offers a choice of superior accommodation and facilities that includes restaurant, a wine and cigar shop, two swimming pools, a gymnasium, business centre, meeting room, high-speed wireless Internet access and spa. Original paintings and antiques are displayed in the spa, restaurant and lobby, complementing the style of decor. There is easy access between the twelve buildings and facilities forming the resort. The property is set amongst beautifully landscaped gardens, filled with colourful tropical planting. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- The Aspasia Phuket Hotel Kata Beach
- Aspasia Phuket Kata
- Aspasia Phuket Hotel Kata
- The Aspasia Phuket Kata Beach