“relaxing break”

Ranked #9 of 56 Hotels in Kata Beach
Melbourne, Australia
“relaxing break”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

First time we have taken a break without the kids. I can say we chose well even with some renovation work going on in one wing the rooms, staff and service were great. The pool facilities and close proximity to a beach area just on the front door was spectacular. Great place to switch off and have a relaxing break.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a beach view
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (895)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

My hubby and I stayed for our Honeymoon back in Jan 2012, and it was amazing! The hotel staff are very friendly, the rooms are clean and the massages by the pool are amazing after a hard day of shopping! Don't even get me started on the most delicious food selection at the buffet breakfast (which overlooks one of the many pools) chef's whipping up fresh eggs to your choice and delicious fresh waffles! The bars on the beach right outside the hotel are cheap and make delicious cocktails and food! Pop down in the morning after brekkie to reserve your sunlounge for the whole day for something stupid like $8 for 2 -well worth it! Location is close enough to get to Patong (if you like that sort of atmosphere at night -about 10 minutes in a tuk tuk) but the Kata area has more then enough bars, restaurants and much cheaper shopping! We will definitely be back.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sarah565
Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

I went there for my honeymoon from 8-13th June 2013. Firstly do not be fooled by the professional pictures. The sea by the beach is not blue at all and the sands are not white. The beach faces the open sea, so not very ideal for swimming. (island hopping is still the best there if you are a beach fan like me)

Worst part of the stay was the laundry experience. In Phuket, if you walk around shops, laundry services can range from 60-80 Baht per kg. So I assumed the most this Hotel can blow up the price is 400% but NO. I WAS WRONG. I washed 16pcs of clothing and it cost me 1495 Baht which is USD 50.00 for just one freaking wash, the normal ones you will just dump in your washing machine and wait for an hour! On top of that mosquitoes will be a problem in your room even though windows are shut!

If you stay there, do not waste your money with Bhuri wing. Your view is virtually nothing but grass patches. When we arrived in the hotel we stayed one night in Bhuri Wing and we couldn't take it then upgraded for seaview. The room was much better and the view I admit was awesome. Breakfast was good as well and I really enjoyed swimming by the pool in front of the beach. Food and cocktails by the beach was good too. But the accessibility to Kata Central was 200 Baht for just 5 mins drive but if you were to rent a scooter it is 250 Baht for 24hrs and you could bring it to Patong as well. So do that.

In short this resort did not bring the best value. We were just from holiday inn express from Patong where we really got 5 star service at 3 star prices so I would not recommend a stay here for young couples like ourselves. It is more for the middle ages who has reached a comfortable pay grade so they will not be as petty as me.

Room Tip: Don't waste your money for Bhuri Wing otherwise choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Katathani1, Guest Relations Manager at Katathani Phuket Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Dear khaliffrasid,
Thank you for taking time to share your valuable feedback with us through Trip Advisor. We are glad to know you enjoyed the upgrade, view, breakfast and pools. However I am disappointed to know that your stay didn’t meet expectations for some areas. Please be informed that we post laundry price details clearly in all rooms, therefore if those prices hadn’t met your expectations you remained able to use outside laundry services which might cost less due to their not insuring your items. We are sorry that your stay was during the monsoon season during which the beaches might not appear as ideal compared to the website as this is due to the tides making our beaches and water slightly less clear during summer.

Once again thank you for the review, and we would look forward to welcoming you back soon during high season when the beach is much calmer.

Best regards,
Customer Relations Manager
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013 via mobile

Before i start writing the review - The Half of Thani wing is under RENOVATION and u can't use part of the garden due to renovation noise and they have removed sun decks and one of the pool and one of the bar is closed. So I am slightly surprised as why they have not updated this info on the website as you would expect from a respectable resort like Kata Thani (KT). So before booking please check the status with the Management.

Now the review....... Just back from 4 days vacation from Phuket. We had selected KT as we were well versed with the resort (this was our 3rd stay) and we love the awesome beach front. First.... the property is incredible.......the garden, pool, bar by the pool and the brllnt beach with its powdery sands. Also service, in general, excellent and cost of beer by pool is probably the cheapest ...around 50 baht ++. We had booked Bhuri wing deluxe room which has good landscape and a decent pool. BUt the overall feel and comparison between 2 wing....believe me Bhuri wing and Thani wing feel like 2 different resorts with Thani being 5 star and Bhuri 3 star. Thani has far more space and pool and much better feel and quality.

Thus when we reached and checked in Bhuri, we were slightly disappointed as over last few years they have completely re done the rooms and the bathroom area is a joke now. U really won't be able to stretch ur hand in the fibre glass shower room and it has no tubs. ThE room interiors are really average and so is the flooring. The bathroom area reminds me of temporary make over wash rooms which we find in construction sites. I remember staying in Bhuri wing around 6 years back...it was good that time.

So Post our experience with the very average room in Bhuri wing - we went to see junior suites at Thani wing....great feel but half the place under renovation. So we opted to continue to stay in Bhuri wing. But whenever I visit again I will make sure that I only stay in Thani wing and it's worth payin 35% extra for that. But well no complains.....since the room was not very welcoming we stayed most of the time outdoors....we had fun.

The Surrounding area has few good restaurants but in general the food in KT is good.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
16 Thank Vw&Rvw
Noida, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

We visited this hotel in the monsoons.. the view from our room was of the sea, pool and the garden combined. The rooms were impeccebly maintained and were super spacious.

The Food was delicious and the staff was exceptionally courteous, Our onward transportation got delayed and the staff of the hotel were more than happy to accomodate us for a few extra hours. It was indeed a pleasant stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

Fantastic resort. Staff were great, every request was catered for. Kids clubs & baby sitting service was excellent, drinks & lunch by the pool very affordable, as well as massages. Cocktail happy hour great value. Stocking your own fridge is an excellent idea, as u can buy what u want from 7/11 or their mini mart for a fraction of the price. Cannot fault this place. Awesome pools & gardens, good gym & a great breakfast. Will definitely stay here again, highly recommend. Stayed in Buri wing, you can't beat walking out from your room & into the pool.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Courter
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

I am so pleased I chose this resort to take our 9year old son to,just a fantastic family atmosphere.We stayed for 15 nights in the ocean view room number 2203.I honestly cannot find anything to fault,maybe because I have not been on a holiday for 28years and really appreciated what we got.To everyone looking to go,take no notice of the negatives I am sure they would would find something to complain about in a 7 star resort.So petty.The beach 1st week absolutely beautiful, waves perfect,could see my feet water so clear.Only rained one morning and one night. Breakfast at Chomalay, awesome,so much to choose from,great staff,very clean.When we first arrived my son had a bath but could not get plug out so went to reception and told of problem,by the time we got back it was fixed,we couldn't believe it so efficient.Rooms cleaned to perfection.Pools absolutely beautiful,we had our favourite and my son loved the pool with the slide.Food by the pools were to die for,lots of choices not just one.Drinks cheap and yummy especially happy hour,cheap,cheap,cheap. We had a babysitter for two nights she was lovely.The trips we organised were great everything went smoothly.We met a lovely coupe and their granddaughter,who got on really well with my son.We had our dinners in the restaurants opposite katathani,one night we had 4main dishes,4drinks,5icecreams to put In our bar fridge and it only cost $27 that was at Kmart,very friendly staff.We also had take away pizzas from there to have in our room. The orchid and Ta restaurants were also great and cheap.I thought it was a good idea to have an empty bar fridge so we could fill it with the treats and drinks we like.Beautiful grounds,so well kept they take pride and joy in their gardens.Had to see the doctor at clinic 2days before we left she was great and very helpful and caring.If you want nightlife 24/7 then stay at patong we went there once and that was enough for a lifetime.I would recommend this hotel to anyone and in my opinion I picked the best resort for my family hands down.To all the staff at Katathani you made our longed for holiday most enjoyable and the memories will stay with us forever.THANK YOU.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms quiet with spectacular scenery
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Amari Phuket
Amari Phuket
#2 of 319 in Patong
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,187 reviews

Been to Katathani Phuket Beach Resort? Share your experiences!