“A Wonderful Resort”

Katathani Phuket Beach Resort
Ranked #9 of 56 Hotels in Kata Beach
Reviewed April 26, 2011

I don’t usually write reviews on TA, but having read quite a few negative reviews prior to my holiday, this has inspired me to write one of my own (not negative – far from it).

We spent 2 weeks at the Katathani at the beginning of April and had the most amazing experience. Before our holiday we spent many months researching different resorts in Phuket, and I guess our choice was somewhat limited as we wanted a resort with beachfront access. However, the Katathani ticked all the boxes for us, and I’m sure the reservations staff were sick of me before I even arrived because I kept asking so many questions but at least I knew when I arrived exactly what to expect and what sort of room we were getting. Theres a lot to be said for booking direct with the hotel rather than through travel agents.

I highly recommend organising airport transfers before you arrive. We organised this through the resort and were charged TB800 one way in a private air conditioned taxi, which I didn’t think was too bad, considering its a 50km trip to the resort. There may be cheaper options when you arrive but believe me, Phuket airport arrivals is a complete shemozzle, people coming and going everywhere and loads of taxis, minivans etc. To arrange transport when you get there, you wouldn’t know where to start. We were so glad we had organised it before we arrived. Our pickup was waiting for us and before setting off, we were given some bottled water and an icy cold towel which was a nice touch.

I’ve read on TA people moaning about the distance to the resort, well again, I did my research so no nasty surprises. In fact, the journey was quite pleasant, just sat back and enjoyed the ride.

If I have to have one gripe, it would be make sure when you leave the resort for the return journey to the airport to double check the airport transfer. We had given the resort our return flight details and had advised we would need return transfer, and quite naively on checking out were waiting for a car that hadn’t been booked!!! Luckily concierage were able to get us one quite quickly and we just paid the taxi driver. It was probably our fault as well, we probably should have checked.

The check in process was done quite quickly and efficiently and all the staff were very friendly. We were shown to a seat where all the formalities were completed and were given a lovely cool fruit drink with a lei garland , and then taken on a golf buggy type vehicle to our room.

We booked an ocean front Junior Suite room on the top floor which was lovely (2303). It was comfortable, very spacious, clean, the bathroom was gorgeous with a huge shower and bathtub, and a view from the balcony to die for. Plenty of amenities were supplied with the room, i.e. bathrobes, slippers, beach shoes, umbrella, iron, ironing board, and beach bags. Also the bathroom amenities were replenished every day. Beach towels are provided in the room and these are changed every day.

There is no mini bar in the room, but a fridge is supplied, which I think is a much better option, as there is a mini mart across the road from the hotel, also the resort has its own mini mart near reception and they are all over the place in Kata, so we used those to stock up with drinks and snacks, etc, a lot cheaper option.

The resort grounds are absolutely beautiful. Everything is so green and lush, lot of palm trees and native plants. At the back of the resort near the games room, the gardens are even lovelier, with little ponds, water features, a little bridge to add character and the lush gardens. There are technically 6 pools at the resort, although 1 of them has 2 smaller ones sort of joined on, so giving the impression of just one, but all the pools are gorgeous. Our favourite and furthest to walk for us was the infinity pool, it was just lovely. Unless you are around the pools quite early it is somewhat difficult to get a lounger by the pool, but there is usually some free loungers on the grassy areas. The loungers on the beach are not provided by the hotel and cost I believe TB200 for the day, but quite honestly, sitting on the grassed areas of the resort with that wonderful view of the ocean without getting sand in your feet was more appealing than actually sitting on the beach. The massage ladies are really good value as well. They come out about 10 ish and are still around well after 4.00. Despite what other TA reviewers have said, they will ask you if you want massage. Reviewers have said on here that the hotel policy won't allow them to ask, well that is not the case. I also used the Tewson Spa as well, which obviously was a lot more expensive but well worth it. Sitting in the Jacuzzi looking out to the Andaman sea was just magic.

Kata is only a short walk from the resort. Our room was actually right up the very end of the resort so for us it was only about a 7 or 8 minute walk, however, if you are staying at the other end of the resort, it can be a 5-10 minute walk just to get to where we were, so into Kata, probably more like 15-20 minutes, I would imagine. There are a couple of hills to negotiate into Kata, but there are some steps right at the end of the beach, which are quite steep, but if you can manage them, then you are already half way into Kata, otherwise, it would be a longer journey walking around the road. After the steps, just another small hill. At night time I would recommend taking a torch. We did this walk several times at night and found it to be perfectly safe.

Despite reading many reviews on TA that the internet is not free, well after 3 days, I decided to find out for myself only to discover that the internet at any of the terminals in the 3 locations around the resort is 100% free! If you want WIFI in your room, then yes, you will have to pay, but quite honestly we found the free internet more than adequate for our needs. Theres 4 terminals located near to reception, another room, which I didn’t use just near the resort minimart, and 2 more terminals in the recreation room, which I used all the time, and never once did I have to wait! To use the free internet, you just need to obtain a password and username from reception. It gives you 24 hours of internet time, when it runs out just go and get a new password, simple!!

The beach, although beautiful, can be very unpredictable. I am not a confident swimmer in the ocean and give the sea the respect that it deserves, but we found it, most of the time, to be safe to swim in, and that is saying a lot coming from me. There were days when it was like a millpond and other days when people had their surf boards out, so you just have to pick your day and judge it accordingly. Most of the time it was lovely. If you get a chance, take a walk up to the very end of the beach and you will come across a beach bar called “on the rocks”. I don’t think they get much business, and when we turned up one afternoon for a drink, it really made their day.

First thing in the morning the beach does have a fair bit of debris washed up over night, but the resort are right onto it and organise a beach patrol every morning from one end to the other gathering up all the debris.

Overall, we had a wonderful holiday at the Katathani and look forward to returning one day.

Room Tip: Ocean Front Junior Suite - 3rd Floor for best view
15  Thank AustraliaDaisy
There are newer reviews for Katathani Phuket Beach Resort

Reviewed April 24, 2011

From the moment we arrived, we were greeted with friendly service. Although our first suite was not to our satisfaction, we were quickly moved to the suite we actually requested.
Service was outstanding although occasionally too many in the restaurants. We like to eat in peace as we also run our own accommodation retreat.
Suite was large although a little tired looking, lovely king bed, TV was the old version.
Views are spectacular, morning noon and night. From our suite, restaurants, bars and beach.
The beach, well Whitsunday island beaches come to mind in comparison and water was beautiful clear and warm where we spent as much time in the water as possible, otherwise on the lawn beds near the pools and bar.
Gardens and walk ways are kept immaculately clean and tidy and are certainly a credit to the gardeners work.
Little shops, gym and hairdresser were a delight to browse through without any 'in your face' salesperson hassling you.
Only regret we couldn't stay longer as the cost is similar to 4-5 star resorts in Australia.

Room Tip: Expect to pay more at this resort for the extras
Reviewed April 23, 2011

What a beautiful resort. We stayed for 8 nights here before going to stay at Holiday Inn in Patong, and wish now that we had booked our total Phuket stay here at Katathani.
Before leaving Australia, I was getting quite a bit worried about all of the negative reviews being posted here on tripadvisor... well, I dont know what I was worried about. Obviously those people posting negatives, complain about most things I'd say.
Katathani is the most picturesque, gorgeous location, with a great hotel layout. Being a travel agent, I am quite fussy about hotels and this is one hotel that I will be recommending. We stayed in a Junior Suite in the Thani wing. On arrival at reception we were all greeted with a cold towel, cold drink and a beautiful orchid lei.
Right outside our door was the internet cafe (free access with a password obtained from reception) and mini mart - very handy when you wanted to duck out and grab a bottle of water or a chocolate bar! Everything can be charged back to your room. Our 2 yr old daughter was accomodated in a portable cot. I wasnt expecting much, but this was a full size wooden cot with a little doona and pillow. The sofa was made into a fully made bed for our 5 yr old. The fridge is empty so you can stock up from the mini mart (prices reasonable) and there are ample towels and pool towels in your room. I do have to say though that it was quite hard to sleep as the ocean being so close, was quite loud, but that was all forgotten in the morning when you open your curtains to the best view ever. The grounds of the hotel are luscious and green, lots of palm trees for shade and you hop straight off the grass to the beach. There are roaming massage ladies who can do a 1 hr massage or a pedicure/manicure for the grand total of $10 - cheap!. I did also have a massage and scrub at the day spa which cost me $113 - a bit of a price difference but nice to experience both.
Right outside the hotel is 2 small supermarkets, a pharmacy, 2 optometrists, various tailors and little shops and the well known Pancake Man!. Yummo only $1 for a banana pancake with chocolate sauce (bit like a crepe)- suffice to say we visited him everyday. One day I bought a hamburger with cheese for the grand total of $1.50.
There is a doctor on site which we had to visit as my daughter had very sore ears from all the swimming, and we were not charged for the consult, just for the eardrops. She invited us back the next day just to check that my daughter was ok. Great service.
The breakfast buffet did become a bit tedious as it didnt really change from one day to the next, but what can you do different at breakfast really? I visited the Bhuri wing and inspected the rooms which although they didnt have the view, the rooms were very nice. We had one visit to the kids club and there were only two other children there, great big ball pit and slide, crafts to do and video games to play ( Holiday Inn apparently has the best kids club, but I think Katathani was better)

Room Tip: Stay in the Thani wing
5  Thank julie072
Reviewed April 21, 2011

We have just returned from the Kata Thani and stayed in a junior ocean view suite on the thani wing side which is well worth booking. The Thai hotel staff are very friendly and could not be more helpful. We never had to wait or queue for a drink, breakfast etc. The place is very clean and has a beautiful white sandy beach with surfing waves (it is public but still very private). Could not fault the hotel - slightly out of the way but only a ten minute walk to busy Kata beach and is only 500 baht to go to Patong. I cannot see why guests were writing bad reviews in the past. If I was to look for a fault having gone there with two teenagers - not much for them to do in the evenings and no central bar/place for them to meet other teenagers so unless you plan on leaving the resort in the evening not much for teenagers to do.

Reviewed April 17, 2011

Have just returned from a delightful stay at the Kata Thani Beach Resort in Phuket. A truly well run and maintained hotel. Excellent choice of restaurants available. I had paid for half board in the UK when booking with Hayes and Jarvis. A word of caution that paying for half board in advance will only allow you access to the restaurants "set menu" option. Of course an A La Carte menu is available and your half board option will allow you a certain amount of credit towards any A La Carte purchase. Food in the hotel is not cheap but menus were extensive offering many choices but were of a very good quality. My favourites were that of the Thai and Italian restaurants. Alternatively, the Orchid restaurant behind the hotel was very reasonably priced offering a varied menu for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Good pools and water the temperature of bath water. Some tiles missing in one of the pools so some maintence required. I would have liked a pool for adults only.

Room was of an execellent size. Stayed in Bhuri wing in standard room. Large room, huge bed and very good sized balcony. Room 6306 overlooked pool and hill view. Near to lift so you may experince some noise but not enough to complain about. Good shower/wet room (no bath). All the normal facilities offered but nice touches were robes, beach shoes, canvas bag and fruit platter. Of course not forgetting the fluffy towel pet on arrival!

Quiet location, suited to couples and adults but not at all suitable for night owls and not really much for children to do other than be in the pools. Excellent choice for weddings complete with elephant bridesmaid. Patong can be reached by taxi about 25 mins away. Kata is nearer and again can be reached by taxi or tuk tuk. I would recommend the visit to the Fantasea show (although not great fan of elephant tricks but rest of show was fantastic) and the Simon caberet, Those "girls" are fab.

Beach was lovely almost like private but isn't. Warning not suitable for young children or inexperienced swimmers. Waves can be quite large at times and not really any life guard. Very small flag warning system at entrance to hotel grounds. Saw some nice fish though so snorkellers may be interested.

Grounds of hotel immaculate but shady palm tree spots went quickly. Sadly despite hotel policy (which wasn't in place) loungers are still reserved but rarely used. Umbrellas were not used in the grounds and were only used around the pool areas. Massage, pedicure and manicure available by hotel staff in grounds. Considerably cheaper than spa prices.

Staff, despite the size of the resort, were friendly and soon became to know you well enough to have a little chat and a joke with you.

I would return again but maybe in quieter month. We got to celebrate the New Year in Thai style (water rules) and this offered a different insight in to Thai culture

1  Thank happywandererEssex
Reviewed April 13, 2011

Stayed her for 1 week in April 2011 with my husband and best friend who flew in from Australia. Had an amazing week at Katathani.

We were all just in a superior room in the Buri wing, I am very fussy and usually move rooms (and sometimes hotels it has been known!) but our rooms were excellent and well appointed.

The Katathani is a huge resort hotel and is located right on the beach, has six pools, and numerous bars and restuarants. The Beach Club bar is perfect for watching the sunset at the end of a hard days sunbathing.

The breakfast is good and there is plenty of choice. The resort is spotlessly clean and it has a good spa.

You can walk into Kata from the hotel (about 10 mins) or take a tuk tuk, or onto Kata Center which has more going on. A night out in Patong is a must just for the experience!!

I would reccommend Katathani and certainly go back there again.

Room Tip: Email the manager before you travel!
  • Stayed: April 2011
3  Thank queenoftherow
Reviewed April 12, 2011

We spent 9 nights at this excellent resort. We stayed in the Bhuri wing in a deluxe room. It was fantastic. This resort is a little bit out of the way if you are going to Thailand to shop til you drop but we were there to relax. It was superb. We could take a Taxi for about 500thb into Patong any time we wanted. The resort has excellent facilities with free internet in the lobby. Our rooms were spacious, very clean and well airconditioned. The pools and eating facilities are amazing, the restuartants cater for all tastes. Bottle water in your rooms every day. Two little restaurants up the street great to eat cheaply at and well worth a visit. Massages (by hotel staff) while you relax by the pool are cheaper than the spa which is onsite. They also provide a waiting room if you arrive before your room is ready and provide towels and shower facilities. We used this room when we checked out as we didnt fly out until late afternoon. Staff are fantastic, always greet you and are very helpful and a credit to themselves and their employer. Well worth every cent we paid for the stay. I cant recommend it highly enough. Saw 2-3 weddings at the resort they were all different and wow what a beautiful setting. The resort suits honeymooners, families and couples. They have thought of everything and we cant thank them enough. Take time to hire a taxi and do a drive around the South East beaches it is worth it.

1  Thank turtlesas
#2 of 328 in Patong
The Shore at Katathani
The Shore at Katathani
#1 of 56 in Kata Beach

Been to Katathani Phuket Beach Resort? Share your experiences!