“Touch of Thailand”

Ranked #8 of 56 Hotels in Kata Beach
Fredrikstad, Norway
“Touch of Thailand”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

The hotel is nice and something special. Like a touch of Thailand with great service but average suroundings. Had to go 10-15 min on not so nice streets to the centre of shopping and restaurants.
Overal we were happy with the hotel.

Room Tip: Be aware of quite small room
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Orapin Weeracha... ., Manager at Sawasdee Village, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

We are very much appreciated for your review on TripAdvisor. That would be great to hear that you enjoyed spending your time with us and we hope to welcome you with longer stay in the near future !

Sawasdee Village & The Baray Villa Team.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Sandefjord, Norway
Reviewed March 30, 2013

My husband and I were impressed. They put a lot of effort on the small details which I really appreciate. The resort itself was small but good enough. They made use of every inch they have to make the place look nice. I love the overall look and feel. Upon entering Sawasdee village, it felt like I was in a very special place...more like a sanctuary. Everybody was extremely friendly and polite which is not typical in Thailand. We came from Bangkok, Pattaya and Patong-Phuket and we were very disappointed with the people...but Sawasdee Village changed that impression. Sawasdee staff were really trained well in customer service.

Our room was near the pool which was even better. We could just go out and have a dip in the pool anytime we wanted. The bed was amazing, really big, perfect for a romantic couple. The room size itself was small but that didn't matter. The closet was very small and needed repair. The room was very clean. Floor was shiny. The bathroom flooring was also made of wood. They didn't use tiles at all which made it very unique and beautiful. They even put some books for reading near the toilet seat. There was also a beach bag with 2 brown towels which made it very convenient for guests. They also have written mosquito warning and placed mosquito repellent spray and mosquito bite balm on the table that could be used by guests free of charge. That was very nice indeed. Staff worked even at night time.I have seen them preparing flowers in the garden and lit mosquito repelling incense near the door of each room.
No matter how beautiful the place was, it wasn't perfect. There was this certain unpleasant smell in the room. I guess they were aware of that but could not do anything about it. I guess this was due to the wood material in the room. We kept the air conditioner running all the time and that made the room smell a little bit better.....or we just got used to it...
Breakfast was good but not the best. I wished there were more choices. I don't eat much but I like to see a lot. It would also be better if they would have more fruit varieties.
The pool was amazing but the bubbly part of the pool which was shallow bruised my legs - the surface was so rough. They also offered free photo and we took advantage of that. We had our pic taken at the pool. The night before our check out, we got our photo in a beautiful souvenir frame from Sawasdee.

Beaches in Phuket are not as beautiful compared to Philippine beaches. So I'm not sure if I would come back again but if I would, I will definitely go back to Sawasdee Village. Overall experience at Sawasdee was great. I would definitely recommend.

Room Tip: Rooms near the pool are great. Keep the aircon running to prevent the woody unpleasant smell.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank joclaves

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed March 29, 2013

March 2013 . Just spent 6 fantastic days at Ayarahilltops , they even phoned Sawadee as we left to request our room is ready at 1pm . We arrived at 1.30 to be told the room will be ready at 2. No smile no greeting . The room is no better than a small log cabin with a shower cubicle stuck on . The cabins are adjoining with no space between or privacy . The pool area is no better than that of a municipal pool , chairs on top of each other , but fear not the Mosquitos still find you . There is nowhere to relax in private other than a dark small bedroom . I did find the architecture of the dining room fascinating , more Arabic than Thai . But in a hotel boasting a 4 star rating , there is no air con , the current temp is 38 degrees and humid , good for breeding more Mosquitos . This is a 2 star hotel living of Baray Villas 4 star rating . Over priced and way over rated . It is also up a dirty filthy side street away from all amenities .

Room Tip: Chose another hotel
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Dave W
Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

Booked in here for 8 nights as part of our honeymoon.
While the grounds and pool itself are lovely I can honesty say the room has been a serious let down. For the money we paid the room is so small, the big bed takes up all the space, you can't even open the (tiny)wardrobe fully and there is only one other drawer to put clothes and store things, no where to store the suitcases etc.Way too small for 2 ppl we are falling over our belongings...and we are light packers!

Also the room smells of very badly of damp.
When I complained to reception about this I was shown another room with the same issue. I was given a de-humidifier in my room which is in the middle of the room because there is literally no room for it and the room still smells.

Every space has been taken up with an ornament, tea cup, book, laminated instruction sheet, or other item which really clutters the already stuffy space.

As previous posters mentioned our room is by the pool so the curtain has to be drawn whenever you are In the room (unless u don't mind everyone staring in at you) and that means you have no natural sunlight coming into the room when you are in it which may sound like a small thing but is kind of depressing when the sun is shining outside and you have to turn the lights on in the middle of the day.

I asked about upgrading to the villas (which look much bigger) but the price is unfortunately out of my budget, so just want to let people know that the sawasdee village is not at all the same as the sawasdee Baray villas and would recommend spending the same money on better more spacious accommodation that is widely available in the area.

The rooms in this otherwise lovely resort do not at all deserve the star rating and so people beware that the villas are obviously what are getting the good ratings for it.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LoLolly
North East England
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I had read previous reviews about the rooms being small but because the pictures did look so pretty I decided maybe small would be romantic. The hotel grounds are beautiful, lush shrubs, trees and plants and little walkways with large hanging swings to relax in, metal sculptures that catch the light, it really is very pretty and romantic
The pool is small, I think if all the guests wanted to lie around it there wouldn't be enough sun lounges as there isn't enough room, spotted lots of towels on the loungers long before any bodies appeared on them, I didn't think people still did that........ nice small swim up bar.
The restaurant is spacious for the size of the hotel and very traditionally Thai style, there was plenty of choice for breakfast and the staff work hard to keep your coffee topped up, smiling all the way of course. Our deal included one set meal of 6 or 7 dishes each which was very nice, though they bring all the dishes at the same time, small point, but it makes it less relaxing meal as we ate faster to stop it getting cold.
As previous reviews have said the rooms are small - a large and very comfy bed though - in a dark wood cabin style, but its is difficult for 2 people to move around at the same time.
We kept the curtains drawn as anyone walking past can see in, so the light has to be on all the time. At first we thought the room romantic, but decided it was so small it was actually claustrophobic, we could not have stayed longer than 3 nights, yes, you don't go to Thailand to sit in an hotel room but after a long day in the sun you need a cool, fresh airy place to chill before heading out
All rooms have a small outside sitting area, ours was fronted by the little stream which runs through the grounds, again full of plants and fish, but we only used for have an hour at it was sweltering and there was a problem with the dreaded mozzies; its to be expected, if you book a hotel that's like a tropical rainforest. Other reviewers have mentioned the mozzies but the WARNING BELLS should ring when you are provided with, and pointed out, that there is spray for the room, your body and after bite and despite much use of sprays we did get a few bites:-( . They are trying to resolve the issue with mass spraying every night, but it's not what you want on a short stay
We didn't use the spa so can't comment
The grounds and rooms are all kept immaculately clean and the air throughout the grounds smelling of lemongrass or jasmine, or maybe just the spa!
I wouldn't say don't go to this hotel, but for us the hour and a half journey from the airport as it was midday and there was much roadworks - not the hotels fault, - it wasn't worth it
TIP:
We had a walk past the Baray Villas within the grounds and wished we had paid the extra, from the outside they looked amazing, none of the space issues and private swimming pool

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sunnygirl83
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We booked a Garden Room (which was right beside the pool) last Valentine's, and I consider this one of the best hotels I've been in. The room had a large and cozy bed and a large TV screen which can also be used as a computer. The bathroom was different from the other hotel bathrooms I've been to because the floor was made of wood, which gave it a "nature" feel. They also provided complimentary bottled water, fruit basket, and a beach towel and bag (not to be taken home though).

I also loved the reception area, which had a computer visitors could use, beautiful chairs perfect for just lazing around, and nice books you can read. This area was also air conditioned, just in case you wanted to cool off from the heat outside. I also loved the over-all interiors and feel of the hotel because it was like you were in a rainforest, which would also help you take photogenic pictures of the place. I especially love the pool, it was very clean and there was also a poolside bar which served delicious cocktails (I tried the mojito which was very good and refreshing!) The staff was very attentive and you know that they value your opinions and needs.

For the services, they provided a shuttle every hour until 6pm to and from Kata beach, which was a 10 to 15 minutes walk from Sawasdee. So just to give a heads up, this is not a beach front hotel, but the walk was relatively ok since you'll be passing by a lot of establishments. The breakfast buffet had a varied selection of breakfast items from fresh fruits (which was really yummy), bread, cereals, omelletes, and other breakfast staples. There is also a discount if you wish to upgrade to their Baray Villa (discount only available to Sawasdee guests)

Overall, I did not have any problems with the hotel, and actually enjoyed my overnight stay here. I wish I could have stayed longer.

Room Tip: The poolside room was nice and we did not have any problems with mosquitos.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Orapin Weeracha... ., Manager at Sawasdee Village, responded to this review, March 20, 2013

Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Our stay at the garden room was fantastic. The room was a tad bit small but the sitting area outside the door and the bathroom layout was well designed so it's very comfortable afterall. Also, there are various seating areas along the winding forest path and pool area that it's just fun hanging out at the hotel.
The restaurant and the spa are well worth a visit, especially when they offer 10% discount at both places for hotel guests. The restaurant not only have a great food menu, their signature drinks list is to die for. You have to try the creamy coconut rum drink served in a young coconut!
The spa is simply the quintessential spa experience anyone should look for. The private steam sauna, adjacent to the cool water pool and shower that are open to the sky make the whole experience authentic and special.
The only downside is the mosquito population living in the hotel premises. I guess it's a necessary evil. The complimentary mosquito repellant and sprays are very thoughtful and afterall necessary.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Cheryl S
Orapin Weeracha... ., Manager at Sawasdee Village, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

We are very much appreciated for your review on Tripadvisor and that would be very nice to hear that you enjoyed spending your time with us and we are looking forward to welcome you back soon !

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kata Beach
Mom Tri's Villa Royale
Mom Tri's Villa Royale
#3 of 56 in Kata Beach
Katathani Phuket Beach Resort

Been to Sawasdee Village? Share your experiences!