“Ok but not excellent”

Ranked #8 of 57 Hotels in Kata Beach
Sydney
“Ok but not excellent”
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Rooms are tiny.. Just big enough to fit a King size bed and desk. Was a bit of an odour from bathroom also.

Hotel had spent alot of money on landscaping which is nice but the rooms were a disappointment (we had a poolside room).

The hotel is going for a shangrila type wooden and teak tribal look but they don't pull it off in the rooms.

Hotel is 10 mins walk from kata beach but pool side is better. Has a small pool bar where you can drink whilst still in water and avoid the beach lounge fee.

Breakfast was ok but dinner was good if a little expensive by thai standards, drinks are also expensive and near Western standards. Wait staff were slow and inattentive e.g. We had 3 empty plates on our table for 15 mins during breakfast before they were cleared - there were only 3 other people in restaurant.

Bottom line was that our stay was Ok but we won't be back. If a hotel is going to charge 4-5 star prices then I expect 4-5 star service and amenities. Probably closer to a 3-4 star experience for us.

• Stayed January 2013
3 Thank MrManTraveller
Thecolorkata, Manager at Sawasdee Village, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your kind comment on TripAdvisor and it is very valuable for improve our service. Regarding to your comment of our restaurant staff, we will train harder to serve you a better service and hope to see you next time.

Sawasdee Village & The Baray Villa Team.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed January 15, 2013

As previous persons have wrote the hotel and grounds are top notch. AND THE ROOMS ARE SMALL. but who spends their holiday inside their hotel room except those on honeymoon. We found the breakfast adequate (not a great selection) but the meal I had in the restaurant was very good and reasonably priced. The staff were very friendly (although sometimes I do not think they should bow as often as they do, I do understand it is in their culture). Due to the garden setting / layout of the hotel there will always be an issue with the insect life, each room is provided with a plug in insect repellent and a can of mosquito spray (If you required a natural deterrent then the hotel reception provided one). The pool area was great and very relaxing when compared with what was outside the hotel.This hotel felt like you where in a sanctuary from the hustle and bustle of Kata / Phuket. I would recommend staying at this hotel if you are looking at staying in Kata for a short period of time .

Room Tip: All Garden rooms are much the same. Don't let room size spoil your view of this place
2 Thank gary2507
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your kind review on TripAdvisor and we do sincerely thank you for your tip ! Regarding to your recent stay with us that would be very much appreciated to hear that you enjoy your time with us and we are looking forward to welcome you back next time !

Venice, California, United States
Reviewed January 14, 2013

I had really high expectations from this hotel. Namely because it was the only hotel that I actually paid $$ for on my trip to Thailand (as opposed to using hotel points). I selected this hotel because of the positive reviews on tripadvisor as well as the look of the hotel's official website. Even though it was on the pricier side, I felt strongly that it was the perfect hotel and experience for a brief 1-night stay.

My girlfriend and I checked in on New Years Day 2013 and we were certainly impressed with how beautiful the grounds of the hotel were. We waited patiently in the waiting area where the Moroccan decor and the swing chairs had us giddy with excitement. Once we checked in we were walked to our room and were really surprised at how dark and small it was. We didn't fret though because we knew we'd be spending time outside on the grounds and by the pool. Even though we weren't honeymooning, the Sawasdee seemed like the perfect hotel to spend your honeymoon at. It was very romantic and very intimate.

Back in the room we decided to take a look at the spa menu to book some treatments. But when we called up the spa they said they were fully booked for the next 2 days. I found that to be disappointing because it left us with very few options as there was not much to do outside of the hotel. And being that we were only there 1 night, we were a bit cheated on the amenities. I wasn't looking for a free massage, I just wanted the option to book one during our stay.

Once we got over the fact that the spa was booked, we decided that we'd just sleep in since we were planning for a couple more days of heavy traveling. I noticed immediately that there were a lot of mosquitoes in the room and around 7pm... the lights went out. There was a black out. And it happened to be right at the moment when I was feeling hungry. I walked out of my room to see what was happening and then, I locked myself out. It was pitch dark outside and I now had to walk through total darkness to get someone to let me back in. While I was at the front desk I asked about food and apparently the spa and the restaurant were hooked to a different generator so they were still fully operational. Would have been nice if I was at the spa during the black out. I would have never known it happened....

The black out was in full force for a little over an hour. Think about it -- no light, no air conditioner, and mosquitoes abound. I was able to put in an order to the front desk but that took some time to arrive at my door. I got the Massaman Curry and the Fried Squid and I have to say that it was DELICIOUS! But since the rooms are so small, there was absolutely nowhere to eat it. I had to eat on the bed, and that felt very awkward. The next day we enjoyed the free breakfast and it was yummy. The restaurant, like the grounds of the hotel, was also very nicely decorated.

Overall, the hotel was great for a 1-night stay. I can't speak for anyone staying longer than that and personally I think I'd be bored if I was there for a couple nights. It would have been nice to get a spa treatment and it would have been even nicer if we didn't experience the temporary blackout, but I suppose that was out of their hands. As a tip, just make sure you book your spa treatment in advance to avoid any issues during your stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank LeslieTheExplorer
Dear Valued Guest,

We are very much appreciated for your valuable review on TripAdvisor. Regarding to your recent stay with us, we are terribly sorry for the problem of electricity down and booking of Spa according to our high occupancy. We are looking forward forward to welcome you back and hope that you have our spa treatment for next time.

West Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed January 14, 2013

My husband and I stayed in five different 4 and 5 star hotels around Thailand in November, and Sawasdee Village was our favorite. We arrived just before dusk, so the lanterns all over the property were lit giving the whole place a very romantic and magical feel. There wasn't an inch of this property that wasn't beautifully landscaped and perfectly manicured... it was unlike any other hotel I've ever stayed at and we would consider going back to Phuket just for this hotel, even though the actual town/island was our least favorite place in Thailand.

The best part about this hotel was how beautiful the landscaping was... the pool was gorgeous, the swing beds were fun, and the main restaurant was really pretty, especially the bridge/platform that you crossed to get to it. We took a tour of Baray Villa area too, which was also fabulous. Even the library was really cool, complete with iMacs and cozy reading spots with colorful pillows. We would have been happy to just spend our entire time at Phuket at this hotel.

With all that said, there were few minor inconveniences... the room was very small. We had a difficult time finding places to put our two large suitcases without them being in the middle of the walkway. The shower also had a tendency to go from scorching hot to really cold... but we loved that the room came with a computer! And since the monitor was the TV, I was able to stream some TV shows from back home. Nice feature.

We saw several different parts of Phuket... Patong, Karon, and Kata... and Kata was definitely the best of the three. The walk to the beach was less than ten minutes, so that was no big deal. But in general, Phuket was our least favorite place in Thailand. We would go from the incredibly relaxing atmosphere of the hotel and walk out to literally hundreds of massage parlors, tailors, and tour agencies... we seriously wondered how they all stayed open since there would literally be four massage parlors all in a row on every block. And they were all really annoying, constantly calling out to us and occasionally even grabbing our arms to try to lead us into their storefronts. And the beach at Kata was nice, but nothing spectacular. There are much nice beaches in Thailand.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JessicaJoy
Thecolorkata, Manager at Sawasdee Village, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your kindness of review us on TripAdvisor. Regarding to your recent stay with us, that would be very nice to hear that you have a relaxing time with us and we do hope to welcome you back soon !

Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Taken in by lovely pics of traditional Thai surroundings, the price we thought was over the top. Although we knew from reports on tripadvisor garden/pool rooms were small you kind of believe they won't be that bad, but they are just big enough for one person, as big as your average one car garage and dark and my hubby with his 100% deet is covered in mossie bites, however my citronelle worked a treat. Pool is small & in peak season hard to find a sunbed with shade. Breakfast is fine, dinner is so so, we had a voucher for staying more then 3 nights for a free meal ( you pay in room price, believe me). I say get out of the place, go for a swim in the sea early morning before it gets packed, ten mins walk, get a scooter go around the island, close by in the kata hills is a group of bars, the after beach bar is great fun & good food. The ska bar at the very end of Kata beach by the rocks is a proper beach bar & some very good restaurants are close by.Take a trip up North, it is lovely & you can feel the difference,calmer & more upmarket. Phuket has changed a lot over the years, you need to do a bit of work to find the paradise of yester year. PS upgrade to Baray Villas 9000 baht, would you bother,not a chance.

Room Tip: Rooms in garden area are very dark, rooms by pool are dark but at least you can sit out if you want...
1 Thank Taylortowers
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your candid review on TripAdvisor. We hope that we will have a change to welcome you back.

Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Stayed there of New Year for 10 days, and we certainly won't come back. Room was the smallest we have ever been in and mosquitos everywhere. Not overly clean. Phuket itself a big disappointment, ther than some nice golf courses and scuba diving, not much you can do and certainly not worth the trip from Europe. Very touristic, cheap place, people approach you all the time on the street to sell their rubbish stuff. Very few good restaurants which meet international 4-5 star standards. Hotel certainly not 4-5 star as suggested by the travel agency, just meets standards.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your candid comment on TripAdvisor. We will improve as per your suggestion.

Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Just arrived back from a seven day stay at Sawasdee. Experience overall was ok, beds great and fully airconditioned. Disappointments were; had pre-booked a pickup from the airport that didn't happen. The deluxe garden rooms are very dark and small for two people with no where to put luggage and the bathroom had a plumbing issue that caused a bad smell. I felt it was hugely overpriced for what it was. No faults with the restaurant, the food was all good and the staff were all very helpful and pleasant.

1 Thank Premadevi
#3 of 57 in Kata Beach
The Baray Villa
The Baray Villa
#17 of 57 in Kata Beach

Been to Sawasdee Village? Share your experiences!