“UNFRIENDLY PLACE”

Ranked #16 of 56 Hotels in Kata Beach
Bali, null, Indonesia
“UNFRIENDLY PLACE”
Reviewed September 25, 2012

There is the most unfriendly place that I have ever stayed. The room was ok, just ok. The pool was disgusting... worst than public pool... sand on the bottom, dark and dirty water. UNFRIENDLY STAFF!!! The housekeeper got in the room when was DO NOT DISTURB on the door. I went to front desk to complain and there the front desk staff argued with me. She said that I was lying. When I tried to upgrade my booking because I booked online. So... I moved early to another hotel. The new hotel was nice, clean and friendly.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank diveramos

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Greek first
  • Thai first
Lappeenranta, Finland
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Stayed one night in july 2012. Room was on the lowest floor and quite basic. Two pools in different floors and pool bar were ok. Good breakfast.

We were travelling with 2 yrs old child and there was a road just outside the hotel yard. This was a little problem with baby buggy while there was no sidewalk and there was a lot of traffic.

Good and friendly staff.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed July 19, 2012

Serene Resort is a nice small hotel near Kata Beach.

Stayed here last October 2010. Booked for 2 rooms through Asiatravel.

Our flight from Singapore was delayed, and arrived close to midnight. We had a hard time getting a cab charging reasonably for taking us to our hotel.(If you will be arriving late at night in Phuket, get the hotel transport to pick you up. It's far more convenient and depending on your negotiating skills, prove to be cheaper than haggling with the cab drivers.)

The cab driver seemed to never heard of the hotel and kept calling someone on the phone, presumably asking where it was in Kata.

Surprisingly, a hotel staff was in the reception area when we arrived. They seemed to be waiting for us. And we were informed of our Phi-phi tour pickup early in the morning (booked thru Asiatravel as well).

The rooms were small and simple, but clean and looked nice. It has a private balcony with the view of the pool below. But the rooms were hot even with the aircon on (in the other room, aircon broke down altogether). We saw an aircon maintenance personnel doing repairs in the morning. Some renovation works were also ongoing dowstairs.

We loved their breakfast, lot of choices, good spread, great ambiance, cheerful restaurant staff.

We had a great time at the pool. After being in the sun and sand for too long, the pool was a welcome treat.

Kata beach was about 5 mins walk, a very nice beach and not too crowded (downside: the beach was littered by trash in the evening). Saw a lot of restaurants and convenience stores in the vicinity as well.

Liked Best : quiet, breakfast food, the pool and it's location (very near from the beach)
Like Least : charging too much for a 2 hour late checkout request.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Butt3rcup
muek, Manager at Chanalai Flora Resort, responded to this review, July 28, 2012
Thank you for your comment.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 16, 2012

I had high hopes for this resort, it looked beautiful online and was located in a lovely, quiet part of Phuket. Unfortunately, despite promises in writing prior to my arrival from the travel agent, the internet / wifi was down for the entire week long duration of my stay. Every time I tried to discuss this with the front desk reception I received an apathetic or rude response, including discussing my request in Thai whilst pointing at me and laughing in a real condescending manner. I've stayed in many beautiful resorts and hotels throughout Thailand where staff have been polite and friendly consistently, so this was a real shame.

To make matters slightly worse, one some days my room was not cleaned at all despite my clearly having the "please service my room" sign outside my door. When I called to get this rectified, I was given a half-hearted clean, towels were taken away and not replaced - and extremely frustratingly, I was accused of having kept a towel because the cleaning staff did not replace one they took!! I had to actually begin to open my suitcase before leaving to prove I did not take their towels, which were slightly worn and old anyway. They also cleaned the rooms with the doors opened, which allowed numerous mosquitos entry and access to my skin all night.

The worst thing about the cleaning though was when I was in my room and walked to the bathroom whilst the lady was cleaning in their - she had my glass I had been drinking out of, and was wiping the inside of it with a filthy, dirty rag. When I said "No, no" she became embarrassed and tried to quickly rinse the glass out in the sink. Needless to say, I have never drunk out of a hotel glass without cleaning it first again...

The positives...well it is quiet, the room was quite nice, the food was nice, and the top pool was nice (although the bottom kids pool water felt quite unclean and a bit grotty). The location is close enough to Kata Beach that you can walk there and rent a beach lounge and umbrella. There is a wonderful Thai massage place directly across from the hotel that gave unbelievable foot massages quite cheaply. But unless you are looking for a fairly budget, family trip and internet / customer service is not an issue, it may not be the top option in Kata. But I personally would not stay here again, especially not after being accused of taking an old towel!

Room Tip: Try to get a room closer to reception if you need wifi access. There are no real views in this hotel...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank mangoss76
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed June 27, 2012

We stayed here with my 4 year old son. The staff were amazing, they were helpful and made my son feel like royalty. Good location for families located near the quieter kata beach. About a 3 min walk to the stunning beach. Great cheap food, caters well for children. Breakfast was great. Nothing to complain about here.

Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank hazelmack
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 24, 2012

A nice resort that seems to be undrgoing a little redecoration. This did not interfere with the ambience at all as it was the rooms at the back of the hotel being repainted and new beds, fridges and furniture. The only gripe was that we were 1.5 hrs late checking out of ourroom and they wanted 500 bahts for a late check out which we refused to pay - they said thy could have rented the room out. During our stay however it was really quiet with only about 20 or so rooms rented to guests so the pool was really quiet. Free wifi in reception was useful too.

Its a short walk down the road to all the shops and restaurants. You would not be disappointed staying here so long as it was not one of the few rooms on the edge of the complex next to the road.

We stayed fir 2 nights in march 2012.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Moncton, Canada
Reviewed January 28, 2012

The staff at this hotel are amazing, very friendly and willing to help with any questions you have. We were never left waiting for a drink or to be seated, they also had a great Halloween party for the guests. We read a few reviews that Kata Beach is a far walk but it is not, it is with in 3-5 mins and the street is not very busy that you have to cross. Lots of restaurants and vendors on the walk to the beach. Our room was clean and tidy with a safe & mini fridge that was refilled with beer for a great price, we also had plenty of towels. The package we booked included the breakfast buffet and 10 hrs of internet, no wifi. We will stay here again when we return!

Room Tip: Check out the drink specials at the pool bar for 2 for 1 afternoon deals
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DandKtravel
muek, Manager at Chanalai Flora Resort, responded to this review, February 5, 2012
Thank you very much for your review. It is delighted to learn that you experienced a good stay with us. We wish you will be back to stay with us again.

We promise to sucess in exceeding the guest expectation.

Jimmy R