“Fantastic place, great value for money, with a lovely setting and room”

Kata Palm Resort & Spa
Ranked #20 of 55 Hotels in Kata Beach
Reviewed August 16, 2010

We had a fantastic stay here, the staff were always lovely and helpful, they got word that we were on our honeymoon and quickly arranged for a cute decoration and flowers to be put on our bed before we got to our room, it was a lovely touch. The rooms and bathroom were very nice, cute, comfortable with the perfect Thai style feel for our holiday! The pool area had a lovely feel with loads of palm trees, waterfall, a very nice relaxing place to just hang out. Free wireless by the pool and in the lobby was great and pretty fast. Breakfast also had a good selection each day of western & thai foods. Its only a short walk to the beach, but if you want to use the free beach chairs, recomend you get to reception right on 8:30am to get your ticket as there is only 36 of these for the hotel per day. Also pretty central to shops and restarants as well as the bus to Phuket city. We felt it was great value for money and some of the pool access rooms were in lovely quiet and pretty private locations so if you could get these it may even be better than our pool view room, whic we still enjoyed.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 2, 2010

Very nice hotel. We had a pool view room on the 2nd floor. Room was huge and very authentic style. The bathroom was very nice with an excellent bathtub and separate shower room. The lobby was gorgeous. Loved it.

Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 30, 2010

By far the most outstanding asset to this resort is the pool areas. Beautiful setting and if you are lucky enough to have a direct pool access room, you will be able to simply open your balcony doors and step into water. This room type is not suitable for young children due to the safety aspect. However, the floors above have the same standard of room with balcony and great outlook. My family, including two children aged 6 and 3 years stayed in this room type on the second floor. It was beautiful. A daybed in an alcove accomodated the children perfectly. The room was a great size for a young family like ourselves. I loved the traditional decor and the shutters into the bathroom..all great! The only downside to the room was sadly the bed...so very hard! OK for those who like firm matresses, but certainly not for everyone.
The room attendants were very helpul and friendly and did a beautiful job everyday of our 2 week stay.
The overall standard of service of the resort was below par in some areas, I was suprised by the reception staffs lack of personality.
Had no problem with gaining free internet access. 3 stations (maybe a wait at times) no password required!
I was disappointed with the breakfast dining room. Needs a big face lift and the mozzies were probably eating more than I did! The choice of food at the buffet had the basics, but just basic!
Only the friendly manner of a couple of wait staff helped improve the situation.
The hotel is in a great part of Phuket! Enough going on around hotel within walking distance to keep you entertained at night, without going to Patong!
The beach at Kata is lovely and was a very easy 5 min stroll from the beach!
All round a great location!
We had a wonderful holiday and any minor complaint we had was not enough to let it spoil the holiday!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank GiniGoldCoast
Reviewed July 21, 2010

The hotel was nice and I would definitely stay there again. My family and I thought it was great. It was pretty cheap for the quality, so I thought it was a good value, too. The pools and landscaping are fantastic. We have a 3 year old and a 9 month old, and we spent the majority of our time in the pool. It wasn't deep, and there were lots of little areas for them to play in and splash around. The pool is really what makes this hotel great!

We stayed in a deluxe pool view room. It was big enough and had a comfortable, big bed when they pushed the two, smaller beds together. It was big enough for the four of us to sleep on comfortably. There was a little day-bed next to the balcony which was nice, too, and which would be fine for a child under 10 years old to sleep on. The room was clean enough, although the housekeeping staff could have done a better job straightening up. My friend who stayed in another room had a bad smell in her room, and when she called to complain about it they sent some people up right away and solved the problem (a mouse had died in the crawl space above her bathroom). The TV was pretty average- they need to upgrade to LCD and provide a dvd player. Also, the tile used in the room is dark and makes the room seem less attractive than it could be. The A/C was super cold. The breakfast was good with plenty of selection.

I was not a big fan of Kata itself or Phuket in general though. We couldn't help but compare it to Bali, where we usually go for our holidays. We thought we'd try something different this time though. In general, the beaches in Phuket are nicer than in Bali and we seemed to get better value on accommodation. Phuket is cleaner and has better infrastructure and less traffic. However, we did not like the people or shopping in Phuket. Bali is much better in those areas! Thais are supposed to be famous for their smiles and friendliness, but that was not our experience- with only a few exceptions. The shopping is much more expensive than in Bali, and the sellers got upset when we tried to bargain down to a lower price. Several even yelled at us for suggesting a price that was normal in other parts of Thailand. The taxis and tuk-tuks wanted quite a lot of money to go anywhere, even for short distances. Overall, we liked the hotel & beaches, but didn't have positive experiences with the people.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank dabagus1
Reviewed July 4, 2010

Hubby and I have just returned from 8 nights at Kata Palm, after reading your review Mausie I had to double check that we actually stayed at the same place. The reception staff were always polite and friendly to us, they went out of their way to be helpful. I thought the resort was amazing for the budget price that we paid, although there were a couple of issues. The first was that the bed was incredibly hard and after the first night I thought there was no way with my bad back that I could last the 8 nights, when I mentioned it to the reception staff by the time we got back to our room they had put on a soft top mattress over the hard matress, it was so comfy after that. The second issue we had was that our room was very noisy at night, we think it was the water pipes creaking during the night. When I mentioned this to reception they immediately moved us to another room. As for check in, check in and out took no longer than 5 mins. The pools, grounds, location, breakfast and all staff were great.
One thing I do need to mention is that the rooms are quite noisy in that you can here your neighbours moving around, can be annoying if you have neighbours who like to get up early like ours did. Anyway, we enjoyed our stay - very relaxing.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 26, 2010

I stayed at Kata Palm resort for 10 nights after spending 5 nights at the Banthai resort first .
Kata palm was in a lovely setting and the pool was fantastic not for swimming as it was like a moat but for keeping cool and just for lazing around in the out door setting was perfect and the balcony to our pool access room fantastic The room we ended up in was great i loved the thai decorations and the room was very spacious the bathroom was lovely i loved the bath and the balcony and setting was also great but the staff let the place down
The reception staff are rude and loud and plain yell at you There english was fine and we could understand them but when they read us the rules list it was mind boggling i felt like i was in the principles office in school normally i would not have bothered to listen when spoken to in that manner but i was so surprised ( i was struck dumb for the first time in my life hubby said LOL ) the check in procedure was daunting and took 1 1/2 hours and we dealt with four different staff members ...by the time we got to our room we were reeling from the rules and regulations ...i mean she even showed us the shampoo bottles and said if they were not in the same place each day as we found them we would have to pay to replace them ...this was a hotel we stayed in so i thought
then when we got to the room we were horrified to see that every surface was wet the television the walls had water drizzling down them and you could see all the old water and mould marks in the walls ....the surrounds in the bathroom were mouldy and even the bed felt damp ...when we complained they moved us straight away and told us in a very rude manner to leave our air conditioner on and not turn it off as the humidity causes the walls etc to weep ....anyway from then on we stayed out of reception and found a back way to our room and we dealt with other staff at the hotel the waiting staff and our room service lady ...she could not do enough for us she put a new 3 inch duvet on the top of our mattress and got us new pillows and she cleaned our room all the days we were there except on her day off she was just lovely we gave her a gift and a tip and she was embarrassed if not for her and our budget i would have left earlier...we met another couple of people who had the same problems we did with the rude staff ..I am surprised as the reviews here are reasonable and thought maybe i am being a bit hasty but my husband who rarely notices things said even he felt like leaving the day we checked in ...I do hope others have a better experience than we did...I did like Kata beach and the hotel with its lovely thai influence we were moved immediately they saw the room was wet and in their defence the rooms are being damp proofed on a regular basis i think the one we went to was a mistake but the whole hotel staff thing was off putting and they really need to train their reception staff in customer service......

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Maureen B
Reviewed June 5, 2010

My friend & me holidayed in Phuket from 15/5/2010 to 18/5/2010 and this is the 1st hotel we stayed here during the earlier part of our trip. We stayed for 3D2N in deluxe room 434. The view of the room overlooks the freeform pool with a scenery of a mountain in the background. There are also other rooms opposite ours (facing each other balconies) but it’s rather distant and the windows are tinted so your privacy is quite reserved :)

Staff – I guess everyone at times has problem understanding others’ accent but hey, we cannot blame each other right? There was this grumpy guy who answered my calls twice when I asked for wi-fi username and password. He didn’t sound happy having to repeat the username and ended up raising his voice. Or maybe it was just the way they talked, I’m not sure. At breakfast, there was also this guy at e omelette counter who answered a loud “hah??” each time when I requested for something. I cannot eat pork so I have to make sure that mine didn’t have a single bit in it. Oh yah, breakfast was a decent spread. Overall, the staff are pretty friendly and helpful especially the concierge (even w/o tipping them).

Room – spaciously clean but lighting was rather dimmed. I had problem putting on my make-up but this was already expected as it could be clearly seen from the website. There were lil’ mozzies but they didn’t bother us that much. I found the bed to be rather hard but my friend got no problem adjusting to it. As for the bathroom, it’s well-equipped with basic amenities and I liked the cute bathtub and the separate shower. The housekeepers are very helpful cos there was once my friend stuffed his ears with iPhone and didn’t hear my persistent knockings. This lady followed me to the empty room next door to call my friend instead. I had experienced this before in other hotels and the housekeeper told me to call from the lobby. I also wonder why this hotel do not have a see-thru hole on the rooms’ doors or a bell. It’s quite worrying to peek thru a slightly opened door to see who’s outside.

Location – it was quite a walk from hotel to Kata beach. Maybe there’s an unknown shortcut. We have to walked a lil’ bit out to get to shops and restaurants too. Not that far but it’s just that they are not directly located outside the hotel.

Other facilities – there are 2 pools but we only dipped into the freeform one. It’s huge enough to just relax around going but definitely not a swimmers’ pool. We loved the pool though cos the depth ranges from 1.0m to 1.2m, so ideal for non-swimmers like us. The prices of the room service food are pretty cheap too.

If are a beach lover like me, then you’ll find its location a lil’ far to the beach. I wouldn’t say I will not return to this hotel but if I do, I’ll definitely take the deluxe pool access room.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends