“Fully recommend!”

Kata Palm Resort & Spa
Ranked #23 of 56 Hotels in Kata Beach
Reviewed September 11, 2012

We found this hotel to be fantastic! On arrival we had decided to upgrade to a pool access room & it was arranged quickly for us. Also my husbands birthday during our stay & the customer service manager contacted me to arrange a special surprise lunch for him. Rooms were very clean & the extremely long pool was a delight! Location great too with shops etc right outside your door. Would stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Kata Palm Resort & Spa

Reviewed September 1, 2012

Very nice and big rooms. Very clean. For the breakfast, you can choose between many diches, from tipical thai to classic continental meals. Its situation is very good if you want to do shopping (Karon, Patong) and spending some time on the beach also (Kata beach, but "Kata noi" is far better). We were there for 3 weeks and everything went fine.
The swimming pool is great, especially for kids, but we prefered the beach.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Vinz_diver
Reviewed August 30, 2012

My partner and I arrived for our four night stay at Kata Palm and were instantly impressed by the efficiency and friendliness of the staff. Without fuss we were booked in, had free wifi access and a complimentary drink. Not to mention the room upgrade to (in my opinion) the best room in the hotel.

The room was a pool access room and at times it felt like we were in the middle of no where with a pool at our doorstep. Paradise! The room, bed and bathroom were all of good size and felt very secluded - perfect for a romantic week ;)

The breakfast buffet offered a good variety - the waffles were such a nice treat! YUM!

The location is perfect as the hotel is set away from the main road and the beach is a 5 minute walk away. Everything you need can be found in the main road outside the hotel from restaurants to shops to a fish braai on the beach! My partner and I took advantage of the fish braai at night and sat on the beach watching the fireworks and listening to the waves.

Overall I can safely say that I would certainly be staying at Kata Palm again and would reccommend it to anyone looking for a slightly quieter or romantic stay in Phuket.

Room Tip: Pool access rooms are worth the extra cash...ROOM 147! ;)
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ryan B
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Very good location in a less crowded Kata. There a lot of greenery and an interesting arrangement of the pool.Spacious rooms with access directly to the pool and large balcony Very friendly and helpful staff. Secured parking for scooters.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We stayed here a week in a pool access room - 2 adults, 2 children. Don't think I'd stay again.

Pros
Pools are amazing. The long lagoon pool was wonderful and very serene. The deeper pool was great fun and the kids really enjoyed the jet sprays, the mushroom pool and the pool bars.

Good location in Kata - everything is an easy walk away

Looks beautiful - the lobby is spectacular and the trees and greenery make it a very calming hotel

Beautiful bathroom - you can watch TV from the tub!

Pool access room is worth the money - made it so much fun to nip in and out of the room and get bits here and there rather than pack up a bag to go downstairs. Although the rooms' terrace is permenantly in shade, so if you're a sun soaker, this may not be for you.

Cons

Grumpy staff - we arrived at 0130 - our plane was delayed. Despite a booking for 4 people, there was no bedding for the day bed in the room. It happens, I accept that. However, when I rang to ask for a sheet and some pillows for them, the check in man began arguing with me about it instead of apologising and organising the bedding. I just wanted to put my kids to bed, not to have to persuade staff to hand over a sheet or 2.

Animals around food - far too many birds are permitted to fly about in the breakfast room - I saw 2 tables get poo'd on and were only wiped with water to clean. A cat was moving about in the breakfast room too and I saw a kitchen staff member begin feeding a bird in the poolside cafe kitchen instead of shooing it out. Grim.

Housekeeping - the staff work hard, I know, but too many little things were a pain. We were sitting on the terrace and the cleaner locked our terrace door - we had to go through the pool and walk round to reception to get back in our room. Twice we were not left any clean towels and had to ring for them. Dirty sheets were left on the bed.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the lagoon pool are quieter as the lagoon pool is less popular with guests.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank MrsBsTravels
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Stayed here again in June 2012 after my first visit during the Phuket Sixes cricket tournament in April 2012.

As previously reviewed, the pool is brilliant. It gets plenty of sunlight but is also shaded with trees if you want to keep out of the sun. Both pools are fantastic and kid friendly as well as having pool bars for the adults.

Location is great. I find Kata to be more family oriented than Karon and there are more food options from all over the world. It is very convenient with everything you need close by.

At this time of year (June), both Karon and Kata beaches are very dangerous with rips. Be careful if there is swell. I stuck to the hotel pool instead. Whereas in April, it was very calm and the beaches are my preferred option a lot of the time.

The superior room was again clean, spacious and served my needs perfectly.

The breakfast buffet was standard Thailand buffet style and does the job well.

If you are an Aussie and missing your sport, visit the Australia Bar just down the road and Gav will sort you out.

This was my 3rd trip to Phuket and I would recommend this hotel to anyone. If you want something a little more expensive and right on the beach, you have the Kata Beach Resort which is good or you can find other hotels along Karon Beach. Personally, I'd happily stay at the Kata Palm Resort and Spa on all my future visits. The only downside is that I prefer Karon Beach for a swim in April and that is a bit of a trek by foot or a 2 min tuk tuk ride for 200 baht.

This time I hired a motorbike scooter from the guys just down the road from the hotel. They take your passport as insurance and it was quite cheap at 250 or 300 baht a day. Be careful not to damage it as there is no insurance and i have heard horror stories but my experience was fine.

On the bike, it allowed me to drive up the viewing point up the hill at Kata which overlooks Kata, Karon and even down to Patong. I will make sure i visit there at sunset on my next trip as it has an amazing view.

I also got a bus in to Phuket Town. I wouldn't recommend this. The bus takes ages and there is nothing really to see there. The shopping isn't as good as Patong so you may as well go there instead.

Room Tip: I got the best deal from asiawebdirect.com which was a bit cheaper than other sites. stayed in super...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 15, 2012

We really enjoyed one week stay at at Kata Palm Resort at the end of July 2012.
Would we stay at this hotel again? Yes we would!!

HOTEL: The hotel is superb value for money. We loved the pool area with their separate long beautiful swimming pools, two pool bars with very reasonable prices (local beer 50 baht, water 40baht, ice cream sundaes 80baht, Ola Magnums 70baht...). In the afternoon the pool area is sheltered by lots of shady palm trees that provide a welcome relief to the blazing sun and stiffling humidity. I also liked the 3 computers in reception providing free internet for hotel guests.

ROOM: We stayed in the Delux Pool View room on the fourth floor (room 440) and it was perfect for us, spacious, clean, lovely modern clean bathroom with a nice spacious shower & complimentary toiletries. Yes the bed was hard but we like a hard bed so we were comfortable. We appreciated the 2 complimentary bottles of water every day in our room. We didn't use the mini bar but the prices again were very reasonable. The air-con worked perfectly and didn't disturb us by having it on all night. We used the mini bar fridge to store our wine and fresh milk for our tea in the morning.

FOOD: Breakfast was included in the price - personally for us we did not like the breakfast. The omlettes made to order was about the best thing on offer. We didn't want to eat fish soup, fried rice or noodles, chicken curries etc first thing in the morning. I did however like the pancakes, donuts or crumpets (different each day) and mainly ate those for breakfast. Fresh sliced fruit (pineapple, melon, mango) was also on offer, with yoghurt - I had that too. Plenty of make-your-own-toast with butter and jam. For lunch every day we shared a tasty pizza by the pool, a large shrimp pizza for 220 baht was more than enough for both of us, freshly made thick crust, with lots of cheese and a herby tomato sauce.

STAFF: I read on Tripadvisor that the staff are not friendly.... well from the porter to reception to the cleaners we found every person we came into contact with super friendly and very helpful! Pauline was fantastic, making Ron's birthday very special for him. Staff do battle to speak and understand English but they always smile. We were in a different country after all so who can blame them for not speaking perfect English...

LOCATION: The location of this hotel was absolutely perfect! An easy 10 min walk to the beach. Hotel reception gives you a 'free' voucher to use a sunbed at an allocated spot on the beach. The man looking after this area takes great pride by cleaning the sunbeds, umbrellas and sweeping the sand, keeping the area clean and tidy for Kata Palm residents. The hotel does not include dinner in the rate but this was not a problem as 5 mins away there is a lane full of pubs and restaurants to find a cheap & tasty dinner! Maybe it was low season but most of the restaurants were advertising Thai meals for only 99 baht each. We ate delicious Thai green curries and Pad Thai stir fries! The portions were ample. What we liked about the location of Kata Palm Resort was the close access to the beach, and the shops and restaurants close by. There are 3 small supermarkets very close to the hotel (to stock up on beers, biscuits, milk, suntan lotion etc), a bank, plenty of foreign exchange booths, a pharmacy etc...

WEATHER: I think July/Aug is their low season - we battled big time with the heat and humidity!! Thunder showers were predicted every day for the week but during the whole week we only had 10 mins of rain on one afternoon! It was half cloudy and half sunny but the humidty gets to you if you are not used to it! My husband and I ended up with an itchy prickly heat rash, our body not being able to cool down quickly enough. We took anti-histamines which seemed to help. It is also very important to drink lots of water to cope with the heat & humidity. I ended up with many red insect bites (mozzies?) even though we used plenty of insect spray and cream.

BEACH: Kata beach itself is lovely and spacious. Swimming was banned due to dangerous undercurrants and rip currants. Red flags all over the beach warn tourists not to swim and yet many still swam in the rough sea. We did not want to chance it so we did not manage to go snorkling.

PHUKET: Phuket is a very different, interesting place to visit, a bit of a culture shock but well worth a visit if you have not been there. Your senses are bombarded and stimulated - sights, sounds, taste... it was a lovely break from our nomal every day life. We took a tuk-tuk taxi from outside the hotel (450 baht for two of us, one way) to visit Phuket Town market, about half an hour away for plenty of shopping and bargains.

RON'S BIRTHDAY! The hotel went out of their way to make a fuss of Ron! Our package included a free buffet dinner and a free 50 mins Thai massage (that was so devine!). The night we had the buffet dinner Pauline (manager?) came over with a little birthday cake, lit about 6 candles on top, the singer sang every version of "Happy Birthday 60 year old" he could think of while the dancers stood around us singing and clapping their hands. I cut the cake up into little slices and offered it to children at tables around us. The parents then made their kiddies come over to wish Ron a happy birthday - very special.

All in all a good holiday - we would return to Kata Palm Resort.

Room Tip: We stayed in a delux pool view room on the fourth floor (room 440) - we loved it, clean and spacious...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple