“Cooking Class at the Boathouse Resort not 100% Thai tradition”

The Boathouse Phuket
Ranked #5 of 56 Hotels in Kata Beach
Orlando, Florida
“Cooking Class at the Boathouse Resort not 100% Thai tradition”
Reviewed June 16, 2012

The experience duriing off season
1st... They are overpriced for the class unless you do a two class session. I was unable to do two class as they did not have people to sign up for sunday so only got to take the one on Sat so i had to pay the premium rate of 2200.00 base, 220.00 service fee, 169.00(7%) tax for a total of 2589.40. Other cooking classes in other area of Thailand includes all the fees in the rate of the the price posted.

The Meal
Was unable to find out what the meal was going to be so i repeated a dish or two of what i have already learned. :( I had tryed several times by e-mail , phone call, only to be advised that we do not know what we were going to make.

The Classes off season JUNE
We do not know if we are going to do the class as they need 3 people to sign up and i was only one. I had to keep calling to see if there was going to be a class. When on holiday / vacation it is a downer to keep calling and have to change plans when they did not have a class on Sunday.

Cooking Venue
They set up portable burners in the lobby / resutrant area and not in a kitchen so you get the same feel as if on a cruise ship just doing an add on sales for them.

The meal
Good meal and done in a Traditonal way but lot of short cuts done like the cashew chicken they did not show how to brown off the cashews from scratch like other cooking classes do.
The Sous Chef Rattana was great and very helpful and answered all questions. Very helpful with local questions and learning the food culture.

Overall
Way too polished and way to commerical done and not so traditonal like other class in Phuket and for the price i would pass on this one as more would give you the real Thai experience if you were looking for that.

thanks for reading
mj

Room Tip: none at this time othere then great view
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank mj s
BoathouseKata, General Manager at The Boathouse Phuket, responded to this review, July 20, 2012
Dear MJ,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback. We weren’t able to offer on that occasion the 2nd day cooking class as we normally require a minimum of 2 bookings to go ahead and wish to apologize for the inconvenience caused. Our cooking classes take place in our oceanfront restaurant as it offers amazing breathtaking views of the beach and the ocean. Our prices may be slightly higher than some other classes in Phuket, as we provide transportation, prime quality ingredients, a stunning environment as well as an embroidered apron, certificate, recipe book, and of course highly qualified staff, all of which of course add value to the experience. 5 recipes are demonstrated during the class and we prepare another 4 for lunch giving our guests the opportunity to taste 9 Thai dishes all together. We certainly hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back to Boathouse again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed May 31, 2012

This is our second stay in the Boathouse (formerly Mom Tri's Boathouse) and we enjoyed every minute of it. The hotel enjoys the best location in Kata being right on the beach. We stayed in a Beachfront Suite and nothing is more enjoyable than sitting on your balcony (which is a few feet from the sand) watching the sunset. All the staff are friendly and obliging, the room very spacious and has everything anyone one could want for a comfortable stay. Pity about the beach though, it was little better than a rubbish tip after the daily hoards of tourists went back to their accommodations. Bottles, cans, food wrappers and detritus of all sorts was left on the beach by people who either don't care or don't know better. This what not the case during our previous visit (5 years ago) and is a real detraction from an otherwise beautiful hotel and location.

Room Tip: All the rooms have a beach view but if you want to spoil yourself, stay in one of the Beachfront Sui...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Blair F
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed May 29, 2012

I was last at the Boathouse some 15 years ago, it was located on one of the prettiest beaches in Phuket and offered some of the finest dining on the island. I am glad to say it has emproved over the last time and added a really cool beach club and another more casual resturant serving great seafood and other modern cuisine from a talent young Australian chef. The Boathouse dinning room is still very French and formal but with a very impressive wine menu. Probably the best in Phuket if not Thailand. The rooms are comfortable and spacious with conveniences like in room espresso machine and large daybed in the family suite. The music around the pool is not too loud like at many other beach clubs I have been to and just in the back ground so you can still hear the surf. The beach is still beautiful and unpolluted. Unfortunately, the jet ski mafia has too much power over the beaches and now ply the area looking for unsuspecting customers to rip off. It is a shame the jet ski mafia are so powerful that the hotels can not keep them away and also that the tourists are so dumb they believe you can something for next to nothing. It's such a shame they are ruining the enviornment and creating so much noise, pollution and danger to swimmers. That is the only downside of the past 15 year. Previously in Nai Harn and Kata beaches, the Jet Ski mafia was not present as there were so few tourists, it was not worth thier while. Too bad the government here doesn't care much about tourist safety or pollution.

SO! Get to the Boathouse and Re Ka TA beach club before the ocean there is as polluted as Patong and as noisey and dangerous as well!

Room Tip: ask for one away from the corners. Upper floors have much more privacy.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank theoysterking
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2012

On the last day of a very relaxing and otherwise uneventful week, I left my room and headed downstairs for breakfast. It was going to be my first day of relaxation on the beach because the rest of the trip had been devoted to SCUBA diving and I was looking forward to doing nothing. As I left my room, I walked by a group of maids. One of them stopped me and asked, "Are you staying in room ***?" I nodded. "I clean your room," she said. I made a mental note to give her a nice tip because the room is always spotless. Then she gave me a reason to change my mind. "Your underwear is so big!," she continued. I was speechless - this is not where I expected the conversation to go. To make matters worse, she didn't want to let the subject drop. She actually followed me down two flights of stairs and halfway down the hallway to the lobby, chatting the entire way about my underwear. This ruined the rest of what should have been a relaxing day. When she started the conversation, she was in front of a group of her colleagues. Had this been a major topic of gossip among them? Did they pass my clothes back and forth and giggle? Should I report it to the manager now or wait? If so, how would the rest of the staff treat me for the rest of the day? Would I have to find somewhere else to enjoy the beach?

In the end I waited until immediately before my departure to report the incident to the manager. When I did, she handled everything in a professional and appropriate way. The only possible improvement would have been to use a time machine to prevent the incident from happening in the first place.

Also, to be perfectly fair, there are many good things about this hotel. The location is great - it's right on the sand. The kitchen is also good, especially for breakfast. The staff is helpful in general. For example, when I discovered a problem with my return flight just as the wifi went down they let me use their computer in the lobby. The only criticism I might have made had the aforementioned incident not occurred is don't ask the hotel to recommend a tailor. I did, and the hotel made an appointment for me. That afternoon a pushy Nepalese guy showed up and took me to a completely different store than the one I had been recommended and gave me a bizarre explanation involving taxes. He did not seem to be legitimate, so I did not order a suit from him.

Would I stay here again? Unfortunately, one incident really can ruin what would otherwise have been a good stay. I'd be too paranoid about whether the maid had seen my underwear to really enjoy myself. Hopefully, if you stay at the Boathouse, nothing like this will happen to you, but just in case, you might want to consider keeping any personal article you don't want to discuss with your maid in a locked suitcase.

Room Tip: Make sure to specify what kind of bed you want when you book, or you might end up with twin beds. I...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
10 Thank amateurhelp
Dear Amateurhelp,

I am glad we met upon your departure, but I wish of course it would have been under more positive circumstances. I acknowledged your complaint back then and fully investigated on what could have possibly happened. As you may or may not know, Thai people are very friendly, and particularly so when they feel comfortable with someone. I believe this may have been the case on this occasion and that therefore there may have been misunderstandings and things taken out of context. Our team has since been fully briefed to be aware and careful when talking with our guests in the future although of course I support them fully in being open and as friendly as possible. The Thai way. I am glad you enjoyed the other elements of your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Malaysia
Reviewed May 27, 2012 via mobile

It doesn't look like a hotel when you first arrive with the awning outside highlighting " Wine and grill" and the Lobby inside quite non descript .

But walk in further towards the lounge fronting the beach and that's when you can't help but fall in love with the place .

Theres missing all of the loud ostentious fittings you come to expect of a 5 star hotel but instead its one where you can walk around comfortably in beach wear and feel you may just have packed home with you.

Enjoy!

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank Wikiat
Hong Kong
Reviewed May 10, 2012

Great room, Great facilities, Warm & helpful staff, Great beach, Great breakfast & dining

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HKPhil
Virginia
Reviewed May 6, 2012

While my stay was unfortunately very short due to a personal problem, the property is very nice, in a great location, with excellent beach and restaurants. But the true standout is the service! From the manager to every other employee, the service could not be beat! They clearly care about their customers and want to ensure a good time. We'll be going back soon!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple