Sugar Marina is a new but excellent resort located on a small hill between Kata Beach and Kata Noi Beach and between August 19th to 24th, treated me and my partner incredibly for our anniversary. Let me break it down for you.
For those who want to experience the nightlife or the city buzz of Patong/Phuket or even want a truly Thai experience, you shouldn't stay here. Kata Beach is far (and one expensive ride) from Patong and is surrounded by restaurants and businesses meant for European tourist consumption. So there is going to be alot of overpriced pastas and fewer pad thais. But those who want to wake up to Phuket's green forested hills, bright beaches and just be far away from the urban scrawl, this place is the perfect location.
The hotel stands between two beaches, Kata and Kata Noi. Kata Beach in the north is larger with a more life, restaurants and development while Kata Noi Beach in the south is quieter, more private and has a unique sandbar that affects the beach geography and waves. Both are less than 200 metres from the hotel and thus gives you two different beaches with distinct characters each morning.
There was a small but respectable swimming pool that glows prettily at night. However, you are more likely to head to the beach. Nonetheless, for some poolside fun, the pool is quiet, clean and a night swim looks fun.
The room is fantastic. I got lucky and was upgraded to a room on the fourth floor that overlooked the beach. The room itself is clean and prettily decorated. There is a good television that has many different language news channels and a few extra English entertainment channels. There are ample towels, lots of bathroom space with both a bathtub and a shower for your choosing. Daily restock of soaps and gels. More clothes hangers would be nice but we managed well. There is also a rather large couch for a third person to stay but the bed is so large, it could comfortably fit three people with space to spare.
I must add however, this is a great couple hotel but has a slight drawback if you are rooming with family or friends. The bathroom has an open space that can be covered by sliding wooden frames. This is awesome for couples who want to lie in the bathtub together while watching TV but might be a bit too public for friends/family members. Because the wooden sliding frame does not provide much sound insulation. Even if frames are drawn and the bathroom has visual privacy, you can hear every sound that goes on in there. You've been warned! Nevertheless, The rooms are still a 5/5 amazing and such a small (if slightly awkward) detail shouldn't bother good friends and close family.
There is a restaurant which serves excellent breakfast. They serve ala-carte food for dinner and lunch. The food quality is good enough and the price is mid-range. I recommend giving it a try if you're a little lazy to walk out for dinner or it is raining. Get the Thai desserts.
Nonetheless, all the good cheap food in Kata are the street carts that zoom around. I highly recommend finding the pad thai drivers that sell great pad thai for 50 baht ($2.00).
Cost & Value
If you book early, you can get their most basic room for S$50.00 a night, which is a great deal if you're looking for comfort and pampering at an affordable price. I've gone through at least three dozens hotels going for this price and it easily is the best option. The staff is friendly, their service great, the rooms and hotel, well-decorated and up-kept. Your room comes with a complimentary drink of Cola, Singha Beer, orange juice and two bottles of water that are refilled daily and breakfast which we did not expect to be so grand. They have a range of European pastries, cereals, hams, bacon, Malay kuehs (cakes), Chinese dumplings, a whole assortment of general Asian and European dishes and an (unexpected) omelette bar.
Here are a few cons, but do not let that distract you from getting this place. There are relatively minor and are easily ignorable.
1) The wifi is rather weak on the upper floors and sometimes jerky. But I'll rather pick a room with a view than good wifi connection.
2) In the open-air restaurant, during breakfast, can get a little noisy when the passing large truck goes by the building.
3) The air-conditioning in the hotel room takes awhile (20 minutes-ish) to properly cool down a room when just turned on. After that, it works well.
All I can say is: Book a room here.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A Sea Lovers’ Destination – a unique boutique resort, designed with sea lovers in mind. A new port of call for holiday makers with a sense of adventure and a taste for life on the high sea while enjoying all with modern comfort and convenience of a contemporary resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, HotelTravel.com, Hotwire, Travelocity, Priceline, Odigeo, Agoda, Cheap Tickets and ACCOR so you can book your Sugar Marina Resort - Nautical - Kata Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sugar Marina Resort - Nautical - Kata Beach Phuket