WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Chanalai Garden Resort

Chanalai Garden Resort
Ranked #16 of 57 Hotels in Kata Beach
Sydney, Australia
“Close to the beach, and great breakfast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

We stayed in 2 hotels while we were in Kata. This one, and the Kata Palm which was more expensive. The location for this one (Tropical Garden) is excellent. You just walk across the road, through the shops and restaurant (which I thoroughly recommend for a drink at sunset, the burgers are real good value if you're sick of thai food already), and you're on the beach. The other hotels are a bit of a walk because there's only certain places that you can enter Kata Beach.

There are lots of stairs though since it is up a hill, so just beware when booking if you have limited mobility. Lots of Russians too, just so you know. Oh, and don't leave your luggage in the foyer when the Chinese tour buses are leaving because they will take your luggage with them to the airport! It happened to me and while it was very distressing, I realised very soon after it happened and the hotel reacted very quickly with one of the bell boys speeding after them and getting my luggage back. This was the 2nd time it happened apparently.

So, while the range of breakfast items were probably not as wide as other places, the taste and quality were really really good. There was plenty of food and it didn't run out which was great. The man who cooked the eggs was really smiley and friendly.

Down on the road and just right of the hotel there is a little fruit shop with gorgeous tropical fruit. Also there is a man there cooking banana pancakes which were just delicious.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank cushie10

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

Although you may lose your way in the kaleidoscope of the lifts and the stairs, This hotel is on the backdrop of the hills has good beach views and the rooms are very comfortable. They don't have a spa right now, which is a disadvantage but have two pools one small and the other big, and is a spacious and an old property. Considering the room rates, it's definitely value for money.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Mitadutta
Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

we really had a great experience! the aircon was soooo cold and everything was clean and neat! Our room was amazing with one of the best views ( room 2401!).... we had such amazing flowers everywhere in and outside the room. The breakfast was also very good..nothing to complain about!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bea B
Brisbane, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

Air con in first room i got was broken. Guy that came to fix it was rude and knew no english. He called reception from my room and then two more guys came to fix the air con and were just walking in and out of the room with the door open and it was now like 12:30am so i said can i get another room?? I was told to go to reception so did and then went to the next room, put my bags down and hopped in bed and it stunk! Went back to reception where he pretty much made out i was a pain in and that was my only option, so i dragged him to the room and made him smell it and he said he would give me another room because it really was that bad. Third room had a noise that was coming from out the front in the garden that sounded like a fog horn! I didn't want to go back and change rooms again so just had a crap sleep. I asked to change rooms the next day. A bell boy walked me to this room, he opened the door and there was half the ceiling missing, a bucket on the floor and a constant stream of water coming from the ceiling. He just smiled and i said are you joking and he replied oh we will fix it tomorrow... i said no i cant sleep with that constant dripping! He took me back to reception and i had to wait for them to find another room and 5th time lucky! My credit card was taken out of one of my rooms and didnt realise until check out and the manager did absolutely nothing to help. They have your money so that is all they care about. Poor hotel, poor customer service, poor english and worst travelling experience!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
6 Thank amandadollypop
Pretoria, South Africa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

We've been visiting Phuket end of March 2013 and were really dissappointed with the hotel. Tropical Garden Resort think it’s a 3 star, really not up to standard for us, staff not very friendly and they could not understand a word English which are frustrating at some times, being on holiday you still had to climb 80 stairs up to your room with a seaview (dirty rooftops and streets with a glimpse of the sea in the distance), and a shower part of the bath…
The breakfast could really get some attention. If you visit Mauritius you'll be amazed with all the food, friendly staff and value for money, etc etc etc... (and you'll pay cheaper)

Room Tip: Swimming pool view, PLEASE do not choose a seaview you'll battle to see the sea...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Joalize C
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

I have read Callintha report , I would agree with everything she has written, just refirming that the staff were wonderful, helpful and respectful. there taxi service is brillant, we hire them every day it cost us about $40 for the day (9am-5.30pm). Our room was huge so much room to move around in. We ate at the buffet breakfast everyday, it choice of food was unbeliveable, the little bar in front of the resort was great to for a hamburger with the lot ,chips and drink only $5.
Voted the best restaurant in all of Phuket is at the end of the little laneway from the resort, we ate there everynight for only $40-$50 a couple, it was so good we didn't want to eat anywhere else. I would tell everyone go there, you can't go wrong.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Roxanne A
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

We stayed here for a month mid November to mid December, and really enjoyed it. The room was very comfortable, with two double beds pushed together to form one massive bed, which we loved, because there was so much room and it was so comfy! The balcony was nice, and the room had basically everything you would need to feel pampered. Curtains made the room very dark, which was great as you could sleep in as late as you wanted without being woken by the sun. The last thing you want on holiday is broken sleep.

The main pool was very nice and we enjoyed having a cocktail at the pool bar every day (pool staff were excellent!) There are plenty of water activites in the pool (I unfortunately kept shooting balls into the waterfall while playing volleyball...sorry guys, yes, I admit it, that was me that did that. lol). The second pool, the Mook Pool, is much quieter if you want to chill out for a bit without any kids around. (I believe it is actually an adults only pool). The pool bar there was often unstaffed however, and this was a little frustrating as although there was usually nobody wanting a drink, when you did want a drink you would have to walk all the way to the Komain Pool to find a staff member, and by then you were kind of over the idea of a cocktail. :)

Staff were lovely, especially in the restaurant, and as already mentioned, at the pool. The restaurant manager was such a character, he kept coming up to me and going, "...Jennifer Hawkins?" and "...Jodie Foster?" And he told me his name was Jackie Chan. We adored the security guy at the front gate, who continually rescued me when I was too timid to cross the slightly busy road by stopping traffic for me. Every time we left the hotel and every time we came home he would greet us and wave. I was also impressed with the housekeeping staff who were so lovely. Yes, some of the staff have very limited English skills, and I can understand the feelings of previous reviewers who have felt this has come across as rudeness. But it's not rudeness; they are just shy and don't want to lose face by misunderstanding you. Please be patient with them.

On this topic, I speak a little Thai and had to break it out to make myself understood on a few occasions. So I want to thank all the staff members that put up with the silly falang girl who thought she could speak Thai and probably mispronounced everything. Lol.

The hotel is well located at the quieter end of Kata Beach, and you only need to cross the road and go down a small laneway through a restaurant to get to the sand. I'm happy we stayed at this end instead of the busier end near Club Med and the market. There are lots of great restaurants around here too and the internet cafe across the road, also run by the hotel, is a nice place to have morning tea while checking your email. Speaking of internet, I would have rathered it was free but that's only a small complaint.

Food was fantastic, and there is a special night on almost every day of the week. Breakfasts had a lot of variety (it was nice to see the dress code of the dining room being upheld when people who thought it was ok to arrive at breakfast in their bikini were turned away). We also spent Loy Klatong here and that was fun too.

One area for improvement would be the day spa; I knew exactly where it was, but every time I went there I couldn't see the way in. I really wanted to go and have a treatment done but I could not find any way to go in and book. So perhaps making things more clearer may result in more business for the day spa.

Lastly I want to say thank you to a very lovely lady at reception whose name I cannot remember. Her name is a little like 'Jasmine' and she is from the Philippines. She was just a gem, and what makes this even more amazing is that she was still an intern. Her level of customer service and kindness was such that I expected her to actually be a supervisor of some kind, and was shocked to realise she wasn't. I'd love it if this young lady could be recognised for her good service.

Room Tip: We had a Garden View room but we could still see the ocean.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Mom Tri's Villa Royale
#2 of 57 in Kata Beach
Novotel Phuket Karon Beach Resort & Spa
Katathani Phuket Beach Resort

Been to Chanalai Garden Resort? Share your experiences!