“Not bad.”

Ranked #13 of 57 Hotels in Kata Beach
Melbourne, Australia
“Not bad.”
Reviewed June 2, 2012

Staff very friendly and helpful. Hotel could do with a bit of maintenance, but rooms are comfortable and very clean. It has a lot of steps to climb to get to the room, although on the last day we were there we found a lift that actually got us down to the foyer. Breakfast was minimal.

Room Tip: Before you book a hotel read other peoples experiences and reviews. Choose a room with pool and beac...
2 Thank Hel_1959

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Me and my friend arrived at the hotel with no issue at all, their staffs let us checked in.
We got a deluxe seaview hotel with nice view. We went out for a shortbreak lunch and when came back to the hotel the same staff who let us checked in said there was a problem with our hotel voucher, it said booked for single room and instead we checked in for 2 people.
After we checked in, the hotel staffs called the travel agent to make sure that it was only for single occupancy, please noted at first time we checked in they already gave us double room without any problem at all. So we need to pay extra money for our stay there. I don't know why they treat their guests like that, before we decided to book this hotel we already checked their quality and good review but instead, they treated us like that. It is really disappointing.
In their website, they mention about the same price for single/double/twin room and its not that cheap. Talking to their manager was not helping also, since they only care for your extra money I guess, without bothering to help you out of this situation at all. They insisted us to call our travel agent in our home country. Man! This is a vacation, supposed to be fun and stress free. That attitude, really disappointing!
No choice, we paid for extra money because we don't want to ruin our vacation there.

What we get was a really lousy breakfast, there's a maggot in my friend's soup and when we tried politely telling the restaurant staff, her expression was like nothing happened and no apologize at all.

Staff were far away than friendly, so agreed with The_Rickos maybe their lack of english made them acted that way. I thought they treated us like that since we are asian. So unfriendly. Kinda shocking for a 4 star hotel.

Our room had a great seaview, when talking about bed quality, really poor. The linen was smelly like damped. And on my second night there, they changed my towel with the new one but this new towel had a stain oily and black mark.

I won't suggest any of my friends to even book into this hotel anymore. With their price you can get a really decent hotel much much better than this hotel.

Room Tip: higher floor for great view but prepare your legs to climb the stairs.
4 Thank hazel_1509
Kolding, Denmark
Reviewed May 20, 2012

nice hotel to the price and friendly staff, it is a used hotel but clean

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed May 15, 2012

I have stayed at many hotels/motels/resorts over the years, and this one would struggle to make a 2 star, let alone being classified as a 4 star.
Like Buster and Bailey's review, my experience with Tropical Garden Resort was the worst I have ever experienced.
The staff, just did not want to know you, they used their lack of the English language as a block to deny your requests, in particular if you left your key in the holder in the room.
The hostess at the breakfast, was a cold as ice with her demeanour, when a mistake was made by our Travel Agent, (another post on this one) she literally would not let my wife or myself go back to the room to get the details so that we could sort it out.
She was imposing, intimidating and inflexible, just for a lousy $20 (AUD). By the way, the food was horrible, so we ended up going down the road for breakfast at the Black Canyon Cafe where the breakfast tasted good, service was good, and only cost us on average $10 (AUD).
The maintenance of the property is in a bad state of affair, broken, jagged concrete near the swimming pole, lack of painting and general maintenance. The shower leaked like a sieve.
The swimming pool has signs around it, the web page and other literature state that the pool is open until 7:00 p.m., this was not the case, staff shut the bar, locked the towels etc at 5:00 p.m. and buggered off.
Waited in the bar in the lobby for over 30 mins to get a drink, requested at the front counter twice before someone attended. Then I had wait another 30 mins to get another drink. Obviously this place in ran on a shoe string and grossly understaffed, and the staff that had to work there are unhappy and un-accomadating.
So un-accomadating that we avoided the lobby at all costs.
Security was a shambles, I am not an expert but, the key in the holder advises their network of your presence, when you open your door etc... so when you enter, the phone rings, you lift the receiver up, hang up, this then lets security know that you are safely in your unit, which is good.
But you can walk all over this place (it is a large compound) and go to places where as a visitor you should not go, and you never get challenged.
Voids, cabinets and control rooms have broken doors or are unlocked etc making it easier to cause havoc if you were that way inclined. I only found one security camera, and I doubt on whether that thing works.
A claim by the webpage with regards to the Superior Room (which we had) had access to WiFi, what they don't tell you, is that you have to pay for it. It is based on time use, and constantly drops out, which means your time use, is used rapidly for low results, plus if you don't log off, it will run out if left logged in.
To top it all off, they had a guy on their staff who claims he is an Aussie, but his accent will tell you otherwise, even the resort staff had doubts about his origin. I am not sure on what his role is.
This all may sound negative, which it is, but I would like to compliment one staff member who is exceptional and her name is Sammy, she is not of Thai origin, which made her more friendlier than any others.
I also would like to note that upon arrival, like others, my room was not ready even though we booked way back in January. The resort appeared to be only 5% - 10 % booked while we were there, so we had to wait 2 hours before we could go to our room.
The Fitness Centre just did not exist, even though it is mentioned in the advertising. Don't despair, the stair climbing will help towards your fitness.
We did tip the Bellboys handsomely (and I mean handsomely - a days pay or more) thinking that this will make our stay a pleasant experience, but things went downhill from there.

2 Thank The_Rickos
Ballina, Australia
Reviewed May 2, 2012

We arrived and promptly we shown our room, up 3 very steep steps of 40 odd steps, then an old lift that worked some times, so if it didnt we had towalk another 3 flights of steps. Day Two the toilet would not flush, we had staff fix it, then day 3 same thing, so we told reception that we were going out to dina and have it fixed while we were away, came back 3 hours later and the smell of sewerage stunk us out and then 3 hours for them to fix the problem, that day they went crook at me for having the balcony door open, I was gagging at the stink and wanted to sit on the balcony, at 11 pm they had it unblocked, but the cleaning staff was off duty so I had to end up cleaning it myself. We also got them to fix the TV that came off the ark, they did by belting it on the side. Day 4 same thing happened, we demanded another room. They told my husband that he didnt know how to flush the toilet so it would not block.
So the knew room had a better view, but we had to walk another 44 steep steps and use another lift up 3 flights of stairs, this lift was always working, thank God as I could not have walked up many more steps. No toilet issues, but the TV in this room had sound issues- worked, then didnt for the next hour then would work. ALso every morning the power stopped working for about an hour.
We spent most of the time across the road on the beach, awesome beach as we didnt use the pool as I realised that there was no filter working. We accidentally used a bottle of water from the bar fridge, so we went across the road and purchased the exact same bottle and replaced it, but we were issued with a bill as the resort uses a DYMO label maker and writes the name of the resort and puts it on all product in the fridge, the head of the housekeeping rang me on the phone and was so rude to me, totally rude. Management is rude and staff is also. Dont ask for late checkout, it is plain in their ads, and their own resort book they leave in your room, but ask for it and the response is a flat NO, we dont do late checkout. The whole resort is tired looking and needs some TLC and knew staff, but you get what you pay for I guess. Love Phucket and have been there many times, but dont use this resort. Not for the elderly or those with prams. Breakfast was average.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 23, 2012

For those guests that find steps difficult think hard before booking this hotel! Just getting up to the hotel lobby there are many steps to negotiate. The hotel is built on many levels and there is only a lift from the second floor to the fourth. To get from the lobby to the second floor there are many steep steps to negotiate which can be very hard when the temperature is very warm!

This hotel is situated on the quiet end of Kata beach so there is no problem with noise.

We arrived at the hotel after a long flight from the UK and were told that our room was not ready. They tried to give us a garden room when we had upgraded our room as it was our Ruby wedding anniversary. We had to wait until our room was ready in the Lobby of the hotel. After a long flight to Thailand it was not what you expected to hear!

However the room that we were given had a lovely view over the sea.It was very clean and tidy and the house keeping was excellent! We had clean bed linen and towels every day! However the decor is a little tired and needs updating! The beds are very hard and uncomfortable!!!

The staff at this hotel are very friendly and nothing is too much trouble!

We booked this hotel on a half board basis. Beware!!! Half board is not really half board. They allow you 400thai bhats for your evening meal which barely covers the cost of your meal let alone drinks. The hotel runs theme nights so you have to pay extra for those nights. The breakfasts are good but the food in the evenings is terrible and very greasy!

Room Tip: Think of your fitness level! Climbing these steps are very difficult!!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Australia
Reviewed April 17, 2012

I made my reservation with this place 6 months before arriving. I was very specific in my request and confirmed it several times via email before arriving.
I had even my pickup arranged by the hotel so naturally I assumed that they were well aware of the time we were to be arriving at the hotel.
On arriving though.......the staff told us that the people who were meant to check out of our room would not leave and they could not give us our room. Quite frankly, this was not my problem. We had travelled for a long time to get there and by this stage we were very tired and just wanted to sleep. They made us wait in the foyer for 2 hours before then telling us they still had not sorted the problem out, meanwhile our luggage was still sitting in the middle of the driveway and no one seemed to want to move it. We ended up going for lunch and came back at 2pm and told them if they hadnt sorted out the issue then we would be leaving. Returned at 2pm to find they had forgotten about sorting out our reservation and we were still without a room.
Turns out they didnt want to show us other rooms available until we started getting quite vocal and angry.
We FINALLY got a room 5 hours later, and as magical as it was, that first day, it was very hard to enjoy because of the way the staff behaved.
If they had any brains, they would never had admitted to the mix up and gave us one of the alternative rooms right away instead of being sneaky about it all.
Cleaning staff I found to be overly eager to clean our room. There were some days where we would want to sleep in or have an afternoon nap and they would keep knocking on our door to clean the room, regardless of whether or not the DND sign was there. Very rude and disrupting.
Breakfast, the standard asian hotel stuff, pretty average and full of grumpy europeans who are hell bent on never making eye contact or smiling at anyone.
Was told there was a fitness room and it was one of the reasons we chose that particular hotel. Turns out there isn't one.
Loved the rooms and loved the view...........the staff just need to get their act together and realise who is working for who.
If I had my time again, I would pay a little bit extra and go elsewhere.
Pool with the waterfall is gorgeous however and its in a great location, walking distance from beach and laundromat.
This is my 5th time to Phuket and the worst place I've stayed at thanks to the service.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Katathani Phuket Beach Resort
Amari Phuket
Amari Phuket
#2 of 321 in Patong

Been to Chanalai Garden Resort? Share your experiences!